Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 01:40 AM

321 posts, read 1,119,182 times

Advertisements

I heard very recently another unattended small child was injured on one of the escalators at the Atlanta airport. Apparently they were playing in the Concourse, on the escalators wearing 'croc' shoes (or slip offs). The child lost part of a toe. The parent apparently was "too busy" on their cellphone to watch after their youngster.

Two weeks ago there was rumor about another unattended child was wearing shoes with "rollers" in the heels (not sure what they are called?). He skidded into an elderly person, knocked them over ... the elderly was rushed to Grady w/hip fracture. The child ended up w/concussion and a broken finger. Parent was in the bar drinking at the time?

I've seen new signs all over the airport stating that "Children should not be left unattended" at any time. They are at every entrance to the concourse escalators, connecting trains and jetways.

What is with parents today? Responsibility is a 'dirty' word amongst many hot topics today, but 'parenthood'? How could they do that? I've seen some stupid things involving the negligent safety of a child over the years, but these incidents give a whole new meaning to 'irresponsible'?

I believe it is child endangerment; how can a little child determine what is best for him to wear while travelling? OR what is dangerous to them in a vey busy place? Those parents need to GO TO JAIL.

The FAA/TSA has numerous suggestions on what to wear, what NOT to wear, proper footwear, etc., etc. Does any parent read or take interest in their child's safety in the busiest airport in the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 05:39 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,524,076 times
Escalators are dangerous for small children regardless of what they are wearing on their feet. With me standing one step below my daughter (5 at the time) with all of our bags, she lost her balance and would have gone over the side had it not been for a quick thinking employee of Newark Airport. He dashed up the elevator and grabbed her.I was hanging on to bags and my other daughter and was strggling to get to her. And she was wearing sneakers at the time.

We had an incident at security a few years back after 9/11, My child just a toddler got ahead of us and started running through the gate. Security physically blocked me from chasing after her. It was very tense.

Parenst should be more responsible but it can de very difficult traveling with lots of kids in tow. I travel solo with my kids all the time and it can be tough. And I only have 2!

Old 08-07-2008, 05:50 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post
I heard very recently another unattended small child was injured on one of the escalators at the Atlanta airport. Apparently they were playing in the Concourse, on the escalators wearing 'croc' shoes (or slip offs). The child lost part of a toe. The parent apparently was "too busy" on their cellphone to watch after their youngster.

Two weeks ago there was rumor about another unattended child was wearing shoes with "rollers" in the heels (not sure what they are called?). He skidded into an elderly person, knocked them over ... the elderly was rushed to Grady w/hip fracture. The child ended up w/concussion and a broken finger. Parent was in the bar drinking at the time?

I've seen new signs all over the airport stating that "Children should not be left unattended" at any time. They are at every entrance to the concourse escalators, connecting trains and jetways.

What is with parents today? Responsibility is a 'dirty' word amongst many hot topics today, but 'parenthood'? How could they do that? I've seen some stupid things involving the negligent safety of a child over the years, but these incidents give a whole new meaning to 'irresponsible'?

I believe it is child endangerment; how can a little child determine what is best for him to wear while travelling? OR what is dangerous to them in a vey busy place? Those parents need to GO TO JAIL.

The FAA/TSA has numerous suggestions on what to wear, what NOT to wear, proper footwear, etc., etc. Does any parent read or take interest in their child's safety in the busiest airport in the country?
Good luck with those "Children should not be left unattended" signs. Parents do not know what they mean. Some parents just think they should be in the same building. I would have liked to explain to a parent that if they could not reach out and touch the child, the child was unattended. We have a generation of parents who think that everything that happens to their children is the responsiblility of someone else. It is your child, take care of it and there should not have to be a sign telling you how that is done. Use your brain!

Old 08-07-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
Escalators are dangerous for small children regardless of what they are wearing on their feet. With me standing one step below my daughter (5 at the time) with all of our bags, she lost her balance and would have gone over the side had it not been for a quick thinking employee of Newark Airport. He dashed up the elevator and grabbed her.I was hanging on to bags and my other daughter and was strggling to get to her. And she was wearing sneakers at the time.

We had an incident at security a few years back after 9/11, My child just a toddler got ahead of us and started running through the gate. Security physically blocked me from chasing after her. It was very tense.

Parenst should be more responsible but it can de very difficult traveling with lots of kids in tow. I travel solo with my kids all the time and it can be tough. And I only have 2!
I would help you out any day of the week! I recently helped a travelling Mom with "twin boys" toddlers and (I believe) 5 and 8yo girls. They were moving, Dad had gone ahead ... she had "double" stroller and all sorts of stuff. I don't know how she managed w/o help.

I truly wish that every airport had some kind of "travellers aid" stations before TSA security and in the airport itself. I know that they exist in some places, but certainly not enough.

You had a couple scares and handled it well and were very fortunate.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:15 AM

Thanks. Fortunately there are helpful people around. I think I was judgemental of how other people handled their children and then I had some of my own. Now I get it. Thankfully we are past the double stroller, pack and play, diaper bag etc. Those days (at the airport) were really a challenge! Now they charge for checking luggage, what a shame for the Mom on a budget with young kids and all that gear in tow.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:16 AM

658 posts, read 830,555 times
Some parents should have their toes removed.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
Thanks. Fortunately there are helpful people around. I think I was judgemental of how other people handled their children and then I had some of my own. Now I get it. Thankfully we are past the double stroller, pack and play, diaper bag etc. Those days (at the airport) were really a challenge! Now they charge for checking luggage, what a shame for the Mom on a budget with young kids and all that gear in tow.
You are most welcome. Thinking about several situations in the past, I've seen single "Moms" travelling alone w/o spouse becoming a little 'intimidated' to ask for help - perhaps because today's airports with all the security, barriers, walkways, etc. seem a little less than inviting. Single Dad's are even more reluctant to ask someone for a hand.

I fortunately (or unfortunately) have been around for many years in the environment so I see what can happen and always proactively "step up" and get the simple "extra hand" that someone needs.

Extra charges? Yes I know. Can't really comment, but I don't like it anymore than the next traveller! Once again, best 2 u...

Last edited by rswlguy; 08-07-2008 at 11:39 AM..

Old 08-07-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Good luck with those "Children should not be left unattended" signs. Parents do not know what they mean. Some parents just think they should be in the same building. I would have liked to explain to a parent that if they could not reach out and touch the child, the child was unattended. We have a generation of parents who think that everything that happens to their children is the responsiblility of someone else. It is your child, take care of it and there should not have to be a sign telling you how that is done. Use your brain!
Thanks for your input. Would you believe the signs are about 5-6 feet tall! They are VERY imposing and DIRECT! I do hope it helps, hate to see a child get injured needlessly. Best 2 U for your important thoughts...

Old 08-07-2008, 01:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
Hey, what about people who leave a kid BEHIND at the airport and don't even know they're missing?? Story: Echoes of Home Alone as family leave girl at airport | World news | guardian.co.uk

Regarding Crocs... it's been widely reported across the U.S. that these shoes can be dangerous on kids riding escalators or moving sidewalk devices. So, the parents still let them wear them, and still don't watch them in a busy airport, then act surprised when something like this happens. DUH.

I was getting a haircut yesterday and a kid was wearing Crocs when he got in the barber's chair - as the chair was raised the shoes got caught in the hydrolic thing. Kid wasn't hurt, but it shows how these things are disasters waiting to happen. Plastic shoes - geez.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:57 PM

Mercy! Crocs are so ugly I can't imagine anyone liking them. It is kind of like the old duck boots....................so ugly yet so popular. I don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: