Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 06:35 PM

31 posts, read 113,405 times

Advertisements

Coming from up North I have never experienced bugs like this before.....

In NY you DO NOT have roaches unless you live in apt buildings or are dirty.

If i ever came across a roach in my house in the suburbs, I would have moved.
If anyone saw one my house I would be mortified. Never lived with anything more than ants or a tiny spider.

When I moved in down here in the first week, we had scorpions, HUGE Roaches or Palmetto bugs, Now is the season for humongous spiders, and tons of rent ants...... I won't let my kids roll around on the lawn.. Much different. Starting to adjust now, I have an exterminator that comes every 3 months and very rarely do I see anything in the house now.
But you could just be standing outside and a Giant Roach will run right past you. I still freak out, and everyone here just laughs at me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 07:57 PM

6 posts, read 27,428 times
We recently moved here from Raleigh, NC and NEVER have I seen so many bugs... We have a new home and have had the worst problem with fire ants and spiders and some of the other creepy crawleys that others have mentioned here.. I'd have your new home sprayed before you move in. I wish we did...

Old 10-12-2007, 03:34 AM

670 posts, read 2,113,969 times
Last time I stayed in Atlanta, I had close encounters with a cockroach twice in my hotel room bathroom. One day it was large and rust colored; the next day was large and black. I asked the front desk for some spray (because I had to try to kill them w/hairspray). I didn't complain about it because I assumed that it was normal problem for the area (even though it freaked me out). What do you locals think? Should I have expected better from a $200 per night hotel or is that the norm/something the hotel can't control? Just curious.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:18 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Are chiggers a problem in Atlanta? How about slightly north, like around Gainesville?

Old 10-12-2007, 06:27 AM

348 posts, read 1,021,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Are chiggers a problem in Atlanta? How about slightly north, like around Gainesville?
If you get into wooded areas you can get chiggers. My boys got awful chigger bites a month or so ago while out exploring...you wouldn't think such a teeny tiny thing could be so destructive!

Old 10-12-2007, 10:16 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shania View Post
Last time I stayed in Atlanta, I had close encounters with a cockroach twice in my hotel room bathroom. One day it was large and rust colored; the next day was large and black.
Sounds like a regular roach and a palmetto bug.

Quote:
I asked the front desk for some spray (because I had to try to kill them w/hairspray). I didn't complain about it because I assumed that it was normal problem for the area (even though it freaked me out). What do you locals think? Should I have expected better from a $200 per night hotel or is that the norm/something the hotel can't control? Just curious.
Cockroaches simply are. They spontaneously appear out of the air down here, and there's nothing you can do except send the kitties aftet them. Or that's what we do. Kitties *like* playing with palmetto bugs.

I didn't know cats liked eating spiders, either, until we moved down here. Even our little kitten eats them. Weird. GOod thing they aren't that common indoors.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:49 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Cats also enjoy chopping the tails off of lizards. When we lived in Miami, our cat would leave us little presents of lizard tails all over the house. (No, this does not result in a population of stumpy lizards... the lizards just regenerate them.)

Old 10-12-2007, 11:40 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Cats also enjoy chopping the tails off of lizards. When we lived in Miami, our cat would leave us little presents of lizard tails all over the house. (No, this does not result in a population of stumpy lizards... the lizards just regenerate them.)
That's one of the positives we've seen since moving down here from Minnesota -- my wife thinks the little green lizards (anoles?) that live in our holly hedge are cute. :-)

And we saw a blue-tailed skink the other day. He was cute, too. :-) We had very few lizards in the Twin Cities -- I think I saw a five-lined skink once when I was growing up, but nothing other than that. Just garter snakes.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:12 PM
dls dls started this thread

90 posts, read 411,886 times
Can anyone tell me if you will find bugs (especially big ones) in the newer high-rise condo buildings (in, say, downtown, midtown, or Perimeter)? Thanks again.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:27 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
I don't care for the idea of spraying insecticides all over. We try to keep things clean and not freak out over the odd Palmetto bug that sneaks into the house. They are disgusting things though. Luckily I mostly only find them upside down and dead, after the cat has had her way with them.

We probably have a few blue-tailed skinks living around the front of the house, as we find one sunning itself on the front steps from time to time. They are very charming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta