Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:29 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times

Advertisements

ok guys I need honesty...lol....Schools are a priority for us as we r in a great school district here, and from what ive seen with the schools we are interested in looking into the are very comprable to ours here so that makes me happy, however I would love input from natives, transplants I would greatly appriciated it, as I had done some research years ago...

again thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 11:15 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,988 times
Yes, we have schools. Is there something specific you want to know?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:38 AM

Id like to hear people's opinions on what they think of them...we are looking into Cogburn woods, Northwestern Middle and Milton HS...

Old 02-09-2009, 12:09 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,066,849 times
Don't know anything about Forsyth but I was impressed with Alpharetta and Roswell schools. I loved my daughter's school and her teachers it really was another home for us.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:31 PM

Our daughter went to Findley Oaks Elem, River Trail MS, and now Northview High (all in North Fulton). I think for public schools they were quite good. But as with any environment where there are lots of kids, only children on the extremes get attention: either extremly good or extremly bad. Our daughter was neither...just one of the masses...and she was treated that way by most of the adults in those schools. The schools have their rigid policies and they will not bend them, even when doing so makes sense.

The schools certainly offered plenty of opportunities for the children to develop their interests, to excel, and to be recognized for their accomplishments. Northview has a club for just about everything, so any student should be able to find somewhere to fit in. Academically the only criticism I can name is the lack of foreign language at the elementary level. Another concern is Math: Fulton recently adopted an entirely new and non-traditional curriculum for math. If my daughter had been impacted by it I would have been very concerned as I believe it will be less effective than more traditional approaches.

Bill

Old 02-09-2009, 12:41 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,066,849 times
billl, I would agree with you about the math. While very happy with N. Fulton schools I didn't care for the math portion. Good point, otherwise liked the school system and discipline.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:58 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Northview was one of the No. Fulton schools that showed a disparity between students passing the EOCT and getting passing grades in class, indicating some grade inflation. One of my son's friends just moved out of the Northview district into Milton, as a junior. He was a starter on the football team, but was willing to give that up to change schools. He wasn't happy with Northview, but I have never heard anything negative otherwise, just that it was highly competitive. It does have a large Asian population, which may contribute to that, as Asians tend to value academics a great deal.

Northview is one of the largest high schools in the area, but they are opening a new high school to relieve that issue.

My kids did not attend elementary school here, and the youngest only did one year at Northwestern. The bulk of our experience has been with Milton HS. A neighbor of ours has some sort of school security contract. He speaks highly of Milton in terms of safety. I just like the AP selection and the opportunities my kids have had to take challenging classes.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
It does have a large Asian population, which may contribute to that, as Asians tend to value academics a great deal.

Northview is one of the largest high schools in the area, but they are opening a new high school to relieve that issue.
Northview is overcrowded. The hallways are packed between classes.

The Asian parents value academic success a great deal. My daughter was in home room with many Asians (last name fell there alphabetically). Routine reaction to a report card was "my parents are going to kill me because I didn't get a perfect score in all my classes." 99 wasn't good enough. An honors 106 wasn't good enough. Nothing short of perfection was satisfactory. Draw whatever conclusions you wish.

If I had to do it all over again I would have found a way to put my child in a different high school. She did not do well in that environment. Nothing against Northview: it just wasn't a good fit for her.

Bill

Old 02-09-2009, 06:53 PM

interesting about the math, because our main issue here was the Math it was called Trail Blazers and it was the MOST awful math that our county used..with that they are finally after all these years gettng rid of it, and going to a more tradional/visual math program..I will have to look into this since my dd has major challenges with Math and Comprehension...thanks guys that is what I was looking for

Old 02-09-2009, 10:54 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Northview is overcrowded. The hallways are packed between classes.

The Asian parents value academic success a great deal. My daughter was in home room with many Asians (last name fell there alphabetically). Routine reaction to a report card was "my parents are going to kill me because I didn't get a perfect score in all my classes." 99 wasn't good enough. An honors 106 wasn't good enough. Nothing short of perfection was satisfactory. Draw whatever conclusions you wish.

If I had to do it all over again I would have found a way to put my child in a different high school. She did not do well in that environment. Nothing against Northview: it just wasn't a good fit for her.

Bill
Bill, you bring up a lot of good points and emerging issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta