Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,824 times

Advertisements

My wife and I moved to Sandy Springs, GA about three weeks ago and were looking for advice regarding finding a job. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice and am working on my Master's in Psychology. For the past 3 years I have worked in a County Jail in Michigan but am trying to get away from that line of work if possible and I also have little experience working with the Juvenile Court System. My wife does not have a degree yet but does have 2-3 years experience working as an staff assistant for a women's center in Bronson Hospital in Michigan. We are trying to find jobs that are within 30 minutes of where we live either toward or away from Atlanta. Thank you for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 12:36 AM

2 posts, read 5,510 times
Default Jobs in Atlanta

I would try Craigslist.

Removed by moderator (borderline advertising services)

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 02-02-2009 at 08:14 AM..

Old 02-02-2009, 11:06 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Have you tried the Federal Courts?

JobVac

Old 02-02-2009, 07:49 PM

305 posts, read 1,004,722 times
I have been looking myself and nothing- I have 20 yrs in accounting and I am also looking in nursing I am a student going for my RN.

I am finding out allot of people are going through the same thing here. There have been others without work looking for well over a year

I guess it takes a long time to find something here

Old 02-02-2009, 10:47 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,067,624 times
Oh, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO you moved to GA in these economic times without a job, I hope you have at least 2 years of savings. I've done it and had to move my behind back to CA before all of my savings went down the drain. Jobs in GA are hard to come by and this is SERIOUS. Try agencies that place for your position. YOU MUST MEET PEOPLE in GA, you have to have a GREAT network otherwise you will not get a job and it doesn't matter how educated you are.

I really wish you all the best.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:48 AM

82 posts, read 335,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Oh, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO you moved to GA in these economic times without a job, I hope you have at least 2 years of savings. I've done it and had to move my behind back to CA before all of my savings went down the drain. Jobs in GA are hard to come by and this is SERIOUS. Try agencies that place for your position. YOU MUST MEET PEOPLE in GA, you have to have a GREAT network otherwise you will not get a job and it doesn't matter how educated you are.

FWIW, things are much worse off in CA right now than GA. If I were to move to a new state, I'd find it harder to break into CA than here (native Angeleno).

Old 02-04-2009, 04:21 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,521,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
I have been looking myself and nothing- I have 20 yrs in accounting and I am also looking in nursing I am a student going for my RN.

I am finding out allot of people are going through the same thing here. There have been others without work looking for well over a year

I guess it takes a long time to find something here
Get some 404 770 & 678 references, they won't call you without them.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:39 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,521,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post

I totally agree. politics, politics, politics is the name of the game. Its a winable game though. Use AJC, Employment Guide, Monster etc, but an easy way to meet people n get help is at a church...any church any religion....you don't have to be a religious nut either, just go and be seen a few times. Make friends, and guess what now you have a network of people that want to help you. Doing it alone is super tough!! Degrees mean nothing!! Experience means a little bit, but again learn the game, win the game. If you have experience with a high paying job, go to a church full of rich people or in a rich area. Once you get a job, take a class in something like cooking or spanish or something, now you have more 404, 770, 678 #s to refer to. Don't stay to yourself when you first get to Atlanta go where people who like to help hang out at. This forum is also a good place. Stick around.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:53 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,067,624 times
ffej, my husband and I moved back after being in GA for 7 months unemployed. We found a job in CA with multiple offers in less than a week. SF bay area has a better job market than most of CA and the unemployment rate is lower than the state of CA and the market is far market in SF than GA altogether.

In GA you have to know people and there are NO services for the unemployed (not when you compare it to CA). Trust me, if you aren't employed and don't have money in GA you might as well not be a citizen. Don't get me wrong I love GA but not if I'm not employed.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:37 PM

305 posts, read 1,004,722 times
You I have been trying to tell my hubby this same thing and no one see's it yet but me. I do have a church, and I have done some networking there but I really do not know anyone here I can use as a reference, I plan on taking another certification course and I figure once my house stops sleeping I will be ready to move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: