Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 12:02 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,065,277 times

Advertisements

rainyrainyday, I'm sure you are referring your comments towards me and no I didn't say that it was ok to break the law nor was I casual about it. I don't think anyone that commented was. In the bay area in some cities they have a law that if you even smoke in the city (use to be in a restaurant, then public place, then apartment building, etc.) you will get arrested (the first penalty is a fine) then you will go to jail. I don't agree with this law and I have a right not to agree with a law that I think is ridiculous (I'm not even a smoker), but it doesn't mean that I will break the law either. Hope you get my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 03:53 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
rainyrainyday, I'm sure you are referring your comments towards me ....
Uh no, more jjordan (as should be clear from my posts), and the mom in the news story ....

Old 02-09-2009, 05:17 PM

293 posts, read 1,106,537 times
Quote:
cmtiger, first of all let's put things into prospective you don't know me and this isn't about me just my spin and opinion about things. Secondly, NO I have never had to lie and use an address and I don't no anyone who does to get their kids into a better school. My points and I'm not sure how people don't get it is that I have a problem with a felony and also have a problem with where our educational system is as it should be equal for all across the board. The way in which things are designed right now does not create a solution to the bigger problem.
Atlantapeach, how these schools operate are not as different as private schools. Private schools only one set of parents have to pay for education. With public schools it comes from everyone who pay their taxes, should the people who don't have kids or who have raised their kids be exempt from paying taxes that benefit education? There some where is a cost and nothing is free and all education systems can turn away a child including a public school.
If I know I am indirectly supporting the public schools I don't have a problem with letting kids from other areas come to my children's school.

I've answered your question several times about who can foot the
bill but the many questions I possed to you, you have not answered. In terms of Clayton County being on the road for lossing their accreditation, I'm not sure on the history nor care to really know. Sometimes, where the tax payer thinks their money is going does not quit make it there. But if children who can't elect and or choose where they go to school who also diverse a good education I have a moral problem with this, because uneducated kids become our worst nightmare.
I think if you reread my posts, I did answer the questions posed by you; I just don't think that my answers were what you wanted to hear. I have read and reread your posts and you have not said specifically who will foot the bill. Maybe the tax payers in the county should? If I missed it or reread it, please direct me to an earlier post.

As a Fulton County tax payer and educator, I am present at every Board Meeting, I view the annual budget every year before it is voted upon, and I know EXACTLY where my tax dollars are going every year.

If you don't know the history of Clayton County's accreditation, shouldn't you want to know so you can determine if this woman's judgement was sound or not? I know the history of Clayton's accreditation, and that's exactly what I'm basing my responses and view points from.

And as far as private school, what do you mean that one set of parents pays for the education? Are you saying that the tuition from one set of parents goes towards the costs of the school? That doesn't make sense.

The funding from private school comes from the many parents paying the tuition to fund the school, just like in public school tax payer money is considered the "tuition".

We can go back and forth with this. The bottom line is, I do not have any sympathy for a "survival mentality", as it seemed this woman had. SEEMED. I am not JUDGING her.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Bay Area girl, I have been reading your posts and understood you from the beginning. As a teacher, I want equality and fairness across the board just like you. Reality is that, it is not fair and may never be with our current system. Like some other Poster said, it is your duty, better yet our duty to demand change if we see fit with poor administration. The parents in Clayton county for example should have spent their energy getting things done instead of trying to con the same system they were fed up with. I'm with you on better schooling, making parents more accountable as well as public officials.

I also believe that you cannot go burden another school district with your child, who you are not paying taxes for. She knew the rules, she had to play by them. Plain and simple. Was an example made out of her? YES! Did she have other options? YES! I hope people can channel their energies to do better instead of trying to bypass/break laws, and cry foul when they get caught. She had other options. Get things done. I dont want to sound elitist, but I believe that there is a fair amount of parents, from my experience from low income areas that do not put much effort in their children's well-being and education. (That can be another topic altogether but it coincides with this one to a certain degree).

I taught in schools, in good and bad areas and will say the involvement with low income areas is low compared to middle class areas. It's downright disappointing. We offered to stay after school helping kids with their homework with no pay, with approval from the principal and parents, while many parents made no efforts to meet us half way, trying to lend a hand. They did not take advantage of what some teachers thought would be good for their kids and them. We thought we could help parents that could not afford aftercare, by helping them and their kids for an extra hour for free, to help kids with homework. Most parents did not care. Put that in any decent school in a good area, and the results would have been different). These are the same parents that will come to parent teacher night when there is only food. That's shameful. No food, they dont come.

This is from unbiased experience. I am against burdening other school districts with kids that do not belong there to begin with. I've seen kids from less desirable areas come to a decent school district and do absolutely nothing. Their parents may want what's best for them, but some of these kids dont put their best foot forward. You also have parents that think by putting their kids in good schools, in good areas, it will resolve many issues with their kids and their education. In reality it does not. I've seen quite a bit in my life as an educator. I can write a book about it.
I could not agree with you more. I've taught in low-income schools ever since I've been teaching and have experienced the same thing, especially the bold print.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:42 PM

SweetAtlantaPeach, I would not have to redirect because you can read. I did answer your question as well and it was also not a response you liked. You should re-read a lot of what I wrote as you clearly misinterpreted what I was trying to communicate. It is obvious that we will not reach a common ground and I can imagine it is because you have either been brought up and or just believe that kids from county to county should stay in their place. That is really sad because if you as an educator don't see the roots of the problems and solution rather than the problem nothing ever gets solved. You keep getting more of the same or worse. Maybe that is why GA school systems are the way they remain?

Old 02-09-2009, 06:57 PM

Rainyrainyday, thanks!

Old 02-10-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
SweetAtlantaPeach, I would not have to redirect because you can read. I did answer your question as well and it was also not a response you liked. You should re-read a lot of what I wrote as you clearly misinterpreted what I was trying to communicate. Itis obvious that we will not reach a common ground and I can imagine it is because you have either been brought up and or just believe that kids from county to county should stay in their place. That is really sad because if you as an educator don't see the roots of the problems and solution rather than the problem nothing ever gets solved. You keep getting more of the same or worse. Maybe that is why GA school systems are the way they remain?
Yes, it's obvious that I can read. I continued to reread what you were posting; I guess I was expecting a specific plan, per say, but, that's not what I saw. Oh well, at this point, who cares.

We both agree on the red print. There are many other posters on here who you will not reach a common ground with. However, I wasn't brought up to believe that kids from county to county should just stay in their place. That doesn't make any since. I was, however, brought up to know and understand that rules are rules, and whether we like them or not, they are not to be broken and if they are, consequences may follow.

The statement I highlighted in green has actually been answered in my previous posts, as I had defined the roots of the problem and provided a solution. But, we will not agree, and that's fine. At the end of the day neither of us will lose sleep because you will continue to stand by your opinion and I will stand by mine. For some reason, as I reread your posts (since it is obvious that we can both read), I don't think I'm comprehending them. Oh well, not losing any sleep over that either. Life goes on.

I think we can both agree that if rules are broken (no matter how harsh the consquences are) that there are consequences. And that's all that matters. Now that, as an educator, my friend, is the root of the problem; not believing that.

Georgia's education system may be what it is, but, people are still moving here and are making the best of what is offered, which, in the end, it not all that bad.

I think at this point, let's just agree to disagree.

Last edited by Sweet Atlanta Peach; 02-10-2009 at 06:52 AM..

Old 02-10-2009, 07:04 AM

Sweetatlantapeach, people do not move to GA for the educational system come on what are you talking about? People mainly move to GA for the cost of living and quality of life, while there are some good districts the overall educational system needs to be improved. Unlike you, I do not need others to agree with me. I just have my point of view which is one you don't agree with and that is cool. But again, you have missed the point I was trying to make in that there is a bigger problem that obviously will not and is not going to be solved due to the lack of planning and regard for every child on the state's part. Hmm, don't know why this is not a similar concern or the rational is not there? The way things are being done is the OLD way of doing things, that cause unneccessary and additional problems and costs to the tax payers. Not sure why that too is not obvious. It costs more to arrest someone, put them in jail, have a hearing, etc. who do you think pays for this and how much money do you think it costs? I'd rather pay for better educational systems across the board.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:20 AM

51 posts, read 140,682 times
There has been a lot of media attention to the issues in Clayton County schools, and a good bit of that attention focused on families moving out of the district and students illegally enrolled in the school systems of neighboring counties by use of a false address. If guilty, this parent should have seen a red flag and realized the risk involved in her actions - especially with the knowledge that any transfers from Clayton schools would be highly scrutinized.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:08 AM

214 posts, read 595,222 times
As a Henry homeowner, tax payer, and parent of public school student, I'm abnormally fine with this sentence given the circumstances (especially the plea refusal).

As a person who has seen and heard first-hand how poorly Clayton transfers have ALWAYS been treated by Henry schools, and having heard the ridiculous comments teachers make in the presence of former Clayton students ("Even though there are more of those Clayton kids here, this is still a good school", for example), and having seen the numerous Dekalb plates that grace the front of Henry Schools, and having heard a few apartment leasing managers in Henry make it a policy to separate out Clayton applications (btw, it's not apartment central down here people, it's not like all these options to move some here keep raving about were a reality), I think it's pretty sickening that the self-righteous on here find it OK to judge (I'm not even going to stress myself out of coolyfett's nonsense).

I'm wondering - for everyone who says it's the parents fault for electing and then re-electing an incompetent leader (board), and that these problems with economics, following laws and regulations, and listening to constituents were already exhibited in their first term, did you vote for George W. Bush part II??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta