U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 7,785 times

Advertisements

Hi another story about a person wanting to move to Atlanta but hey if you can help me that would be great. I am from a suburbs outside of Chicago looking to guess what Move to Atlanta!!!! I am a single mother of a 10, 7 and 6 year old...Yes I do have my hands FULL! I first need to find a job. I am looking for payroll/administrative work preferrably. I know the economy is really messed up now but I know some people may be hiring. So I am being patient with that...I have a couple of calls from temp agencies but the positions weren't suitable for me however Any leads please inform me... I also was looking at Henry County but I will take any suggestions that may fit to be more suitable for me. I have been looking on craigslist at house for rent. I would like to stay around $1200 for rent of a house. I would like for my children to be in a diverse school district since the one that they have always attended is predominantley white. My kids are also in football (Pop Warner) and my daughter is in ballet and cheerleading. I am trying to keep it as normal as possible for them. Anything would help I appreciate the help! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 04:33 PM

235 posts, read 765,554 times
I would get the job first before moving anywhere. Just read the job related threads here and it is clear from anecdotal stories that Georgia has a higher than most other states in terms of the unemployment rate. Unless you have a job lined up first, do not move.

Henry county is pretty diverse overall; I think it is an OK area to live with minor children, but I personally would move to the north side for the public schools ( near by Fayette county is a good choice, too).

If you want to know racial make up and test scores of schools, go to Great Schools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

good luck to you.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:50 PM

9,188 posts, read 31,253,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssims2509 View Post
I am a single mother of a 10, 7 and 6 year old...

I first need to find a job. I am looking for payroll/administrative work preferrably. I have a couple of calls from temp agencies but the positions weren't suitable for me however Any leads please inform me...

I have been looking on craigslist at house for rent. I would like to stay around $1200 for rent of a house.
Can you clarify your budget, please?

Three kids, single parent, no job lined up, and you're looking to work a clerical job through a temp agency, and you can do $1,200.00 a month rent? Those numbers don't add up.

You MIGHT get a house in certain areas for that amount, but I'm afraid you might be a bit off in your assumptions as to what administrative temp workers make here (or a temps ability to find you work in the current environment).

Old 02-12-2009, 11:14 AM

77 posts, read 289,591 times
I moved from Chicago! The weather is much better here, as you can imagine. But I know of quite a few people without jobs right now, so best not come until you have something in place. Secondly make sure you are choosing a good school district for you kids, there are some iffy ones. I don't know much about rent prices here, someone else would be better with that. Just wanted to say good luck!

Old 02-12-2009, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 7,785 times
Oh did I forget I get a nice penny in child support oh and my boyfriend is coming along as well therefore $1200.00 isn't that bad

Old 02-12-2009, 12:43 PM

9,188 posts, read 31,253,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssims2509 View Post
Oh did I forget I get a nice penny in child support oh and my boyfriend is coming along as well therefore $1200.00 isn't that bad
You're not the newest cast member of the Real Housewives of Atlanta, are you?? Ok - just kidding.

Gwinnett County is one of the more "diverse" areas around Atlanta, but you'll need to be careful as some of the areas aren't so hot anymore, while others are still fine. Suwanee (town) in Gwinnett is still nice, though it might be too far out in the burbs for you (check Google Maps).

Old 02-16-2009, 08:03 PM

40 posts, read 139,998 times
Please don't move here without a job. The economy is very bad here. I have been looking for employment for 9 months and I feel like I'm drowning. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta