Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 02:46 PM

26 posts, read 104,507 times

Advertisements

Greetings. Please help us find an area that would suit us. We are seriously considering moving to Atlanta (work transfer) and I know nothing about specific areas or suburbs. We like to be outside of the city (suburb), we are conservative (both lifestyle and politically), we don't need a night-life locally; fairly quiet people. I want to feel safe in my neighborhood. Also, we have a dog and cats. We enjoy walking to grocery stores, etc., but it's not a requirement. We're walkers at home because we commute so much. We'd like to buy a house asap. My dream is to have a small animal rescue, so a little bit of land would be nice, but we don't need a lit, just a yard. It appears that Peachtree City would fit us, but I don't think we can afford it. *Thank you* so very much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 03:24 PM

159 posts, read 456,533 times
What part of Atlanta will you be working in? I highly recommend Cobb County. Smyrna and Mableton have a lot of affordable homes and not very far from town, with every convenience nearby. Where I live in Mableton, I can walk to Publix. I feel very safe in this area and it's nice. Check it out on a map. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. Good luck!

Old 04-03-2009, 09:26 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,200,284 times
This is really going to boil down to your requirements for a home and where you'll be working. For example, if you'll be working in Alpharetta, then Peachtree City would be foolish. From there, you have choices based on home price and schools. The great thing about the Atlanta metro is that you can find different sized and priced houses all in the same area to fit your needs.

Generally, most people who have similar criteria would look in Cobb, North Fulton, Forsyth, North Gwinnett, and Fayette.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:11 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,741,685 times
Agree with above posters. You can definitely find what you're looking for in a number of areas. ONce you know where you're working you'll get a lot of suggestions!

Old 04-04-2009, 07:44 AM

74 posts, read 148,446 times
I live in Locust Grove in Henry County. From you are looking for it would be a good fit. If you find a job on the south side, check it out.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:21 AM

23,469 posts, read 44,121,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia1113 View Post
What part of Atlanta will you be working in? I highly recommend Cobb County. Smyrna and Mableton have a lot of affordable homes and not very far from town, with every convenience nearby. Where I live in Mableton, I can walk to Publix. I feel very safe in this area and it's nice. Check it out on a map. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. Good luck!
Actually, Mableton was one of my first thoughts.

- Well located, but with a somewhat "countrified" feel
- Far more affordable on the whole than PC
- Good property tax situation
- Great long-term potential

I have a friend that moved from Oak Grove (NE Atlanta neighborhood) to Mableton a few years ago...he did it to be closer to work, but he was able to buy a house comparable to what he had and get rid of his mortgage! He loves it there, and like Georgia can walk to his local supermarket.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:44 AM

72 posts, read 174,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betterlifeplease View Post
Greetings. Please help us find an area that would suit us. We are seriously considering moving to Atlanta (work transfer) and I know nothing about specific areas or suburbs. We like to be outside of the city (suburb), we are conservative (both lifestyle and politically), we don't need a night-life locally; fairly quiet people. I want to feel safe in my neighborhood. Also, we have a dog and cats. We enjoy walking to grocery stores, etc., but it's not a requirement. We're walkers at home because we commute so much. We'd like to buy a house asap. My dream is to have a small animal rescue, so a little bit of land would be nice, but we don't need a lit, just a yard. It appears that Peachtree City would fit us, but I don't think we can afford it. *Thank you* so very much for your help.
As others have stated it is very important when living in Atlanta to make sure you either do not need to commute or are going against traffic. Many of the suburban areas are some what the same. You do not want to work in down town and then live in north Alpharetta (or you will be very familiar with the interior of your car and which gas stations have the best gas prices).

Old 04-09-2009, 11:38 AM

235 posts, read 838,796 times
You definitely want to be close to your job. Personally, if I were you, I would rent a house first and then get a feel for the area. I recommend this to anyone who isn't familiar with an area he/she are moving to. Many landlords who rent houses are more flexible with tenants having animals than the apartment complexes. You will find plenty of pet lovers in the area but a suburban lifestyle definitely would fit your needs (house with a yard, etc). Some of the areas already mentioned here sound sound, so not repeating those (Gwinnett county comes to mind as well); definitely having a decent commute to your job location is key.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:32 PM

26 posts, read 104,507 times
Thank you, everyone, for your posts. They were thoughtful and I noted every single area. The research is on! Sincerely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta