Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 12:57 PM

16 posts, read 67,095 times

Advertisements

Hello to all! I am relocating to Atlanta soon and will be down next week to find a place.... After speaking with some acquaintances and reading the threads here I have narrowed it down to Midtown (preferably walking distance to Piedmont Park), Virginia Highland, or Lenox Park. Here is my story...

I am a 25 year old, single, female. I am in outside sales and my territory is GA and SC, so proximity to work is not really an issue. I do not know anyone in Atlanta so it is really important that I move to a neighborhood with people my age that are professionals like me. I have always lived downtown (Nashville, TN and Cleveland, OH) so I understand that you can never be too careful, BUT on the other hand if I want to go for a jog during lunch I would rather not have to carry my mace (it gets in the way ). When I go out in the evenings I prefer not to "shake my bootie in a club," but rather go to a trendy bar or nice restaurant... I'm also a HUGE fan of a good beer on a patio! I have a large dog (130 lbs) and although she has always lived in an urban environment, I need at least a little big of grass. I love being outside and it would be a plus to be able to walk to a park, festivities on the weekend, etc.

I hate to say I want to live in a "trendy" area... but then again I do. Basically I want to live where everyone else my age wants to live.

I would like to spend approximately $1300 for rent.

I thought I had decided on Windsor at Midtown, but after speaking with a friend, she was very discouraging of living in that area.

Anyway, any direction on this would be greatly appreciated! AND if you know any specific buildings that would be even better!

Thanks in advance for all the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 01:14 PM

321 posts, read 1,119,121 times
I believe VA Highlands would be best for you. You'll have the best of everything you want and need in that area. There are some great places w/patios in VaHi that I remember going to when I lived in the area. (I live in Roswell now, NW 'burbs)

I know downtown BNA & CLE fairly well. I'd say VaHi would be closest to downtown BNA rather than CLE. CLE did get pretty upscale with some new attractions (stadium, R&R museum) ...

Also ... either I'm getting OLD or lost it years ago ... $1300 for rent? In Atlanta for an apartment? Does that include utilities, cleaning, maid, cook & turndown service?
I thought $1200mo mortgage was high in Los Angeles back in 1991 when I moved here! Guess things have changed quite a bit.

Best of luck to you ...

Old 07-13-2008, 01:35 PM

23,441 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post
I believe VA Highlands would be best for you. You'll have the best of everything you want and need in that area. There are some great places w/patios in VaHi that I remember going to when I lived in the area. (I live in Roswell now, NW 'burbs)

I know downtown BNA & CLE fairly well. I'd say VaHi would be closest to downtown BNA rather than CLE. CLE did get pretty upscale with some new attractions (stadium, R&R museum) ...

Also ... either I'm getting OLD or lost it years ago ... $1300 for rent? In Atlanta for an apartment? Does that include utilities, cleaning, maid, cook & turndown service?
I thought $1200mo mortgage was high in Los Angeles back in 1991 when I moved here! Guess things have changed quite a bit.

Best of luck to you ...
I agree with Va-Hi as a first choice...Lenox Park is upscale, virtually all single family residences, and very light on singles.
Here the site for a company that manages a few very cool prewar apt complexes intown:

www.bradenfellman.com

Old 07-13-2008, 03:06 PM

308 posts, read 1,037,589 times
Ditto for VA Highlands.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:06 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Yep - Virginia Highlands it is I think.

Read up on it - sounds like what you're looking for: Virginia Highland :: Atlanta, Georgia

Old 07-14-2008, 10:14 AM

401 posts, read 1,732,483 times
Go Va High - !

Old 07-14-2008, 11:08 AM

16 posts, read 67,095 times
Thank you for all the responses! It seems like Virginia Highlands is the place for me!

I am having trouble finding a condo in the area but I'm going to keep searching!

Old 07-14-2008, 11:17 AM

11 posts, read 39,766 times
Default Virginia Highlands

Hi, I've lived in the Va-Hi for 13 years now and there is really no other part of Atlanta I would live in but then again, I'm completely biased. Highland Pet Supply is one of the best pet stores intown and in just within a 5 mile radius there are probably 20 grocery stores, specialty food chains (trader joes) and small local grocery stores selling lots of organics and specialty items. There are tons of trails and Piedmont Park is just right there. Most people are dog people and the neighborhood is very safe. I used to walk my dog at 1am and being of small stature, it was no problem. You would also be in the middle of town so 20 min to any point of I-285 (including the airport), depending on traffic. There are lots of doggie daycares and pet sitters available and fun neighborhood shops. Not to mention a great bakery, Alons who does sandwiches and other gourmet foods. Hope this helps.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:23 PM

5 posts, read 35,163 times
I believe the OP is referring to POST Lenox Park the Apartment Complex. I'm 26 and have many young professional friends that live there.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 6,199 times
Dakota, have you found a place? I am recently moving to Atlanta as well and interested to see what you have found..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta