Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 11:07 AM

25 posts, read 68,407 times

Advertisements

While the article focused on homes/apartments, it seems like there are many empty office buildings and commerial buildings as well. I moved here from Huntington Beach, CA recently and have been really surprised about the amount of office space that is for rent... it seems the whole North Atlanta/Marietta area is really overbuilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 02:55 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post
WOW at the rate for Richmond, VA. but I think some of that is likely factored of the number of homeowners and the desire for people in that area to have a home rather than rent. I met very few people in my time there that were LT renters. No matter the income range, most of the people I knew were homeowners.

As far as Atlanta, no shocks here. The city is a great mystery to those on the outside that find out the tails of great fortune are more of a myth. Atlanta, more of less, is an all or nothing city for transplant. You like or you do not. You stay or you leave. Opportunities are scarce compared to population. Resources are scarce. Clear plans and visions amount the counties are non-existent.

I think this is a very "pimped" City in that many come to get a need and leave when that need can be no longer met.
You got it right with this statement. The entertainment industry here in Atlanta contributed a lot to the myth that Atlanta had more wealth than it actually did and unfortunately since 99% of the American population get their information from the corporate entertainment media, these empty buildings and long unemployment lines we are seeing is the result.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:10 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,521,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Most of them have "drivers", or stay in the complex downtown during the week. They do very little actual driving themselves in rush hour traffic.

Well, Perdue put more emphasis on legalizing certain types of fireworks at one point and blocking Sunday liquor sales, than he has to build new water reservoirs. So that should answer your question. Oh no... wait! He DID do something last year to solve our water problems... he organized a prayer vigil to solve it (yes, really)....

Is there a lady in that picture praying with SHADES ON??!! Was this at a church?

Old 02-18-2009, 04:16 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,521,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
Most developers around here are brainless when it comes to complex infrastructure issues such as water supply and traffic engineering... Those are issues best left up to government. We need to tell all these dumb home developers to hit the road and let's bring in some competant people... only the government has the power to do this.

Let's also stop focusing so much on the NUMBER of people moving to Atlanta, and instead let's start attracting QUALITY people instead.
Ill give you a rep point for the last sentence, but what exactly is a Quality Person and a Low Quality Person?

Old 02-18-2009, 09:06 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
I'm a God fearing person but that picture of Perdue praying is just sad and pathetic to me. That's like me not studying for the final exams and just slacking off in general and then start praying that I pass with flying colors and get my degree easily. I want to super size that picture, I bet that I'll instantly start loving darts.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:42 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
I'm a God fearing person but that picture of Perdue praying is just sad and pathetic to me. That's like me not studying for the final exams and just slacking off in general and then start praying that I pass with flying colors and get my degree easily. I want to super size that picture, I bet that I'll instantly start loving darts.
First, you should not fear God, Second, what's your degree?

Yeah, God forbid someone pray for rain, like the Indians.

That pic was over water, someone brought up liquor, yes our almighty Govenors have been blocking liquor for 50 years (even when they weren't republicans), they're evil. Other states have dumb liquor laws, Colorado and PA come to mind.

But hey, it's cool, I'll just post a pick of Muhammed and lets see how fast that's taken down. Can't offend non-White, non-Christian people.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:53 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post

That pic was over water, someone brought up liquor, yes our almighty Govenors have been blocking liquor for 50 years (even when they weren't republicans), they're evil. Other states have dumb liquor laws, Colorado and PA come to mind.

But hey, it's cool, I'll just post a pick of Muhammed and lets see how fast that's taken down. Can't offend non-White, non-Christian people.
So you are equating Sonny Perdue with the holiest of prophets Mohammed???

Old 02-19-2009, 07:23 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post

I don't know who would be offended by that picture, but I'm not if it makes you feel any better. But what I seem to observe from you GT, is that you tend to go to extremes just to prove your point or to downplay another's point, and personally I think that you are waaay off the mark with this one. No one on here dissing God, certainly not me, because I am a southern Baptist born and bred, and will die a Baptist.

I would think that for some people on this thread, myself included, the problem with your hero Perdue is that he never entertain the thought of initiating earthly solutions to solve our problems, and there are plenty of them. After all it was God who gave us intelligence and organizational abilities, so why aren't we as human beings using those gifts given to us from the Lord?

Could not Perdue put a mandatory hold on Construction during the period of the drought? Could he not order that every building and house from then on be constructed with extreme water saving abilities? Could not Perdue and his State Legislature figure out some sort of calculation that figures how much of an infrastructure is needed to support so many people moving to Georgia? I mean for Christ's sakes we have Georgia Tech in midtown whose sole purpose is to brainstorm solutions like that!

But I am plenty sure that you will probably ignore everything I just said and continue on with your extreme partisanship which is a pity...

Old 02-19-2009, 07:34 AM

611 posts, read 2,307,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Interesting short comment in this housing article... saying Atlanta is the third most "abandoned" city - not literally, but in terms of the number of empty new/rental homes, etc...

America's Emptiest Cities - Yahoo! Real Estate
I'd like to know how they came up with the rankings because I think Atlanta being #3 and Phoenix being #6 is completely wrong. Maybe they are giving more weight to the rental market for apartments and condos? Yes, there are foreclosures here, but we just moved here from AZ, and it is MUCH, MUCH worse in AZ than it is here in GA.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:45 AM

288 posts, read 851,548 times
just wondering, what is the status of the drought in Atlanta these days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta