Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 04:09 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I'm just saddened that all it takes is just ONE minority family moving in for the whole neighborhood to go into a complete shift. No effort made at all to even get to know that family and help that family become situated with the culture of the neighborhood.

It's not like people of color can just instantly buy houses in an all white neighborhood. It took a white family to sell the house to a minority family for the complete shift to be initiated.
Actually, by law, realators can't 'descriminate' over n-hood on showing homes. They're not allowed to sway a buyer what the predominate culture is in the n-hood.

We didn't make any effort to get to know our neighbors, regardless of race, and they, regardless of race, didn't attempt to get to know us and we have about 4 different races in ours. But Hey, it's the evil 'White' people

Is that too extremes as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 04:49 PM

722 posts, read 3,315,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
You make the main point. The Dutchtown area is different from the other areas of Henry County where lots of blacks are moving. Fairview and Eagle's Landing are really upper-middle class. The Fairview area (North Henry County...attending the Woodland and Stockbridge clusters--see maps in previous post), is starting to get into the same league of "Black Affluent Areas" with Cascade, Sandtown, North Fayette, South Fulton, South DeKalb, Lithonia, Stone Mountain, and Redan.
Geez, since when did north Fayette become upper class black? This is surprising to me!

Old 02-19-2009, 05:09 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Actually, by law, realators can't 'descriminate' over n-hood on showing homes. They're not allowed to sway a buyer what the predominate culture is in the n-hood.

We didn't make any effort to get to know our neighbors, regardless of race, and they, regardless of race, didn't attempt to get to know us and we have about 4 different races in ours. But Hey, it's the evil 'White' people

Is that too extremes as well?
You're too much sometimes, ya know that? Don't ever change for anyone, GT!

Old 02-19-2009, 05:57 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027 View Post
Geez, since when did north Fayette become upper class black? This is surprising to me!

It's been that way for a while...West Bridge, many other neighborhoods, Evander Holyfield mansion (well, not anymore), many entertainers' mansions...

Sandy Creek High (which also serves heavily/majority white Tyrone) is about 50% black.

It's a great area (Tyrone + North Fayette).

Note: Even though Tyrone is technically in "Northern Fayette County", when one says North Fayette, it's usually talking about the area further east and slightly north...along the Fulton County line. The area has a Fairburn or Fayetteville address.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:03 PM

293 posts, read 1,106,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027 View Post
There are a few places in North Fayette with upper class blacks. For example, the Fayette part of Fairburn (Country Lake Subdivision, the area near Evander Holyfield Hwy and his home) where upper class blacks live. There are also places such as Tyrone where some upper class blacks live as well.

Here's the thing; and I'm going to be honest. Just as another poster said, I grew up in the "hood" per say, and there are just certain classes of black people that even other "middle to upper class" mentality people (not just black people) do not want to deal with simply because of their outlandish ghetto behavior. I know exactly what the original poster is saying. Let's just keep it real. Every race has a certain class of people they don't want to be bothered with. Perhaps this was a growing problem for this person and the pageant was the icing on the cake.

Last edited by Sweet Atlanta Peach; 02-19-2009 at 06:15 PM..

Old 02-19-2009, 06:14 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
You're too much sometimes, ya know that? Don't ever change for anyone, GT!
I wont change, but just know, it's easier to claim someone as something, i.e. a 'Racist', than it is for them to defend it. You know, the 'PC' way.

'He who cast the first stone.....'

Old 02-19-2009, 06:30 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
I wont change, but just know, it's easier to claim someone as something, i.e. a 'Racist', than it is for them to defend it. You know, the 'PC' way.

'He who cast the first stone.....'

Exactly. And i wont name names (ill give a hint: astrology), but some people look for ANY oppurtunity to play the race card.

It amazes me that people have the audacity to lable someone a racist on an ONLINE FORUM? They do not even know the person besides a few posts and they feel comfortable enough calling the person racist. IGNORANT is the only word to describe that.

And also, if the OP meant there are too many black people, he would have said it. Its not like he would be breaking any laws, and it is not like anyone here knows him personally.

Get over yourself, not everyone is concerned about/worried about/constantly thinking about race like you are! (cough cough horoscopes)

One more thing: I do not know the OP, but I do know that talking about a historical event that HAPPENED, i.e. white flight, does not make you a racist.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:11 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Exactly. And i wont name names (ill give a hint: astrology), but some people look for ANY oppurtunity to play the race card.

It amazes me that people have the audacity to lable someone a racist on an ONLINE FORUM? They do not even know the person besides a few posts and they feel comfortable enough calling the person racist. IGNORANT is the only word to describe that.

And also, if the OP meant there are too many black people, he would have said it. Its not like he would be breaking any laws, and it is not like anyone here knows him personally.

Get over yourself, not everyone is concerned about/worried about/constantly thinking about race like you are! (cough cough horoscopes)

One more thing: I do not know the OP, but I do know that talking about a historical event that HAPPENED, i.e. white flight, does not make you a racist.
Gotta face it...don't be cowardly...
Just keep readin' and learnin', brotha..the truth will set you free!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:02 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
This thread is more hilarious than anything else . I got a few good laughs from it. I see everyone's point, I really do. It's sad that on one end, someone sees it as a negative change, while to another it's not too bad. Insert 'whatever you want here'. It's in the eye of the beholder. Be it beauty, aesthetics, race, situations etc..

I have been to Henry and Clayton a few times. These counties never really interested nor made any lasting impressions on me, so I never spent a good amount of time to make a fair and well thought out analysis or deduction of those areas. Realtors took me to those areas, and nothing ever clicked.

I do hear from both sides (friends and family) to stay away from Clayton. I have not heard bad about Henry as much as I have about Clayton. I'm talking about relatives, friends, colleagues etc (black and white). It makes it easier for me to dismiss Clayton. I will see for myself (just out of pure curiosity) in a few weeks (again, mainly because of this thread ), even then it wont be enough time for an acurate assessment of things there.

At the end of the day, what really matters is whether or not you rest peacefully where ever you live. Be it North or South Fulton, or anywhere in between.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:41 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,233 times
I call it like i see it. The person couldn't even give a legitimate reason as to why at first... then it was one person acting up at a pageant. I tell ya... some of these folks amuse me. Dude could have been in one of the nicest neighborhoods in the metro area and saw a little color moving in.. im willing to bet we would have gotten this same post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta