Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 05:51 PM

85 posts, read 285,167 times

Advertisements

Detroiter who might be reloc to Atlanta (area). Here's what I need: Looking for property 2 acres+ and somewhat secluded; I don't care to be "in" the city - rather be more so on the fringe. BUT, I do have to get my "upscale" on ever so often - therefore I think I'd like to stay within 25 minutes of Buckhead and Lenox Square/Phipps. However, I'd also rather not pay $500K+ for house (Buckhead, Sandy Springs). So, with all of that narrowed down, I think that leaves me with the north parts Atlanta - kind of a semi-circle arc, around (and avoiding) Buckhead, of: Mableton, Smyrna, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Tucker. Does that sound about right?

So my main question is: How far north in the city or past city limits do you have to go before you get out of the hectic/city-pace zone?

Thanx in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 06:27 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,655,174 times
I think you would be hard pressed to find 2 acres for under $500K in any of those areas. There are subdivisions in N. Fulton with that kind of acreage, but at least before the real estate slow down, the prices were 1 million or more.

All those areas are or will be fairly built out and pretty densely at that before it is all said and done.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:49 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I think you would be hard pressed to find 2 acres for under $500K in any of those areas. There are subdivisions in N. Fulton with that kind of acreage, but at least before the real estate slow down, the prices were 1 million or more.

All those areas are or will be fairly built out and pretty densely at that before it is all said and done.
You will need to look in the farther out "arc"...stretching from Douglas County, north to Paulding County, Bartow County, east to Cherokee County, Forsyth County, Hall County, and then stretching back south through East Gwinnett County, Barrow County, Walton County, Rockdale County, and Newton County.

I hope this helps! Good Luck!

Old 02-18-2009, 07:11 PM

340 posts, read 704,191 times
...basically an hour in any direction...

Old 02-18-2009, 07:48 PM

Thanx guys...... I have a few properties lined up, mostly in Mableton / Smyrna. All 2+ acres, between $175K and $280K (a couple on Lakeshore; Stroud Dr; Gambrell Rd; and Beverly Dr.) So the question is how far north do you have to go? Is as far west/north-west as Mableton / Smyrna still just kind of like Atlanta-the-city, or is it more suburb like?

Oh... to add to the question: or south? at what point north, and/or at what point south does it (more or less) feel like the change from city to burb? I've seen a couple of properties in College Park that also caught my eye, that are 'off the beaten city path'?? [5 acres in CP @ $220K 29 minutes from the malls]

Last edited by johnishere; 02-18-2009 at 08:10 PM..

Old 02-18-2009, 07:53 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,655,174 times
CP is very urban in my opinion. Very close to the airport and MARTA and other trains run right through there.

Any one disagree?

Also, our burbs don't sound like what you are talking about. Most Atlanta suburbs are maybe one-half acre lots in large subdivisions with one way in and out and lots of cul de sacs.

What you are looking for is the exurbs, maybe somewhere like Cartersville, GA to the northwest or maybe somewhere in Hall County to the Northeast.

South perhaps somewhere in Fayette, Coweta or Henry county, but none of these are close to Lenox.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:38 PM

369 posts, read 1,145,844 times
There are gobs of houses within 15-20 miles of Buckhead with 2+ acres, for under $500K. The questions would be: (1) whether they meet your definition of non-urban, (2) how much house you want, and (3) how far below $500K you want to go.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
CP is very urban in my opinion. Very close to the airport and MARTA and other trains run right through there.

Any one disagree?

Also, our burbs don't sound like what you are talking about. Most Atlanta suburbs are maybe one-half acre lots in large subdivisions with one way in and out and lots of cul de sacs.

What you are looking for is the exurbs, maybe somewhere like Cartersville, GA to the northwest or maybe somewhere in Hall County to the Northeast.

South perhaps somewhere in Fayette, Coweta or Henry county, but none of these are close to Lenox.
No, ATL burbs are what I'm talking about. Thing is, here is Detroit, density is 6,850 folk per square mile. Atlanta city is 3,920 !! And the ATL outskirts are even a little less dense than that. ATL suburbs even less. So compared to Detroit, Atlanta city ITSELF is like a suburb! I've been here so long that I guess I'm used to it, but were stacked liked sardines! OK, not really. The difference is that ALL neighborhoods here in the city are on a grid - a square grid. 6 Mile Rd, 7 Mile Rd, 8 Mile Rd.... and all north-south, east-west streets. All perfectly lined up like geometry. Therefore, you would be hard pressed to find ANY wasted space.

I know it may not seem like it, but compared to Detroit, you guys have all sorts of space. In between the subs, etc. I know, in midtown it is pretty dense there, but overall I could find plenty of places even IN the city there, that I would have to move WAY outside of the city limits here just to find. Just for example, if I were there over near Northside and Wesley. Man! Forget Detroit suburbs... that's like RURAL compared to what we have.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm42 View Post
The questions would be: (1) whether they meet your definition of non-urban,
Thanx MM42. Well thats what I'm still tryin to get an answer to: how far north is it still very "city" ... at what point does it start to feel "suburb".

Ironically, anything north of the 75-85 wishbone (Buckhead density is 3400 folks per square mile) would probably feel VERY suburban to me compared to Detroit. But I was hoping to get some thoughts from the locals on city-suburb feel.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:24 PM

369 posts, read 1,145,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnishere View Post
Thanx MM42. Well thats what I'm still tryin to get an answer to: how far north is it still very "city" ... at what point does it start to feel "suburb".
Atlanta is a very tree-filled city, and there are neighborhoods actually within Buckhead that I would say have a suburban feel. I certainly don't see anything urban about the Tuxedo area or Chastain Park. I don't think you would have a problem finding what you are looking for within a reasonable distance of Buckhead.

I think some of the others who responded thought you were looking for rural, rather than suburban, and that does indeed require a longer distance from Buckhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta