Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:25 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times

Advertisements

In DeKalb, for example, I have heard that there are hundreds of applications for each AP position. Getting an AP position is hard.

In better times financially, if you had great credentials and had significant AP experience, it was actually easier to get a principal position.

No one is doing much hiring right now. But if and when it begins again, if you really want to move here, you might consider stepping back into the classroom and making the connections you need to move forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,587 times
I'm also currently teaching in Florida and was hoping to relocate to the Atlanta area this summer. I've been searching the newspaper online to find info. on whether or not the area was going through the same issues we are, but was coming up empty. It seems as though it's not as widely publicized there as it has been here. Thanks to those who have shared their "insider" information. It's just what I've been trying to find.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:49 PM

45 posts, read 216,410 times
Not a good time to teach in Georgia if you are not already "in".....Gwinnett is still in hiring freeze but supposively any day now they are lifting it.

But with such a low need and so many applicants its going to be hard- especially for new teachers straight out of college.

I am glad I got back into the field a couple of years ago after staying home with the kids a few years. Long enough to not get displaced and before the crunch on jobs.

Best of luck to you guys.....

Old 05-13-2009, 08:04 AM

66 posts, read 272,098 times
Originally Posted by PharmOne:
check atlanta public schools, they may have some openings. or decatur city schools.

These two schools systems are not hiring! Decatur is one of the best school districts out there, they are never really hiring. Atlanta is the highest paid one, so they get fill up really quick!

Old 05-13-2009, 08:08 AM

66 posts, read 272,098 times
I been living here in Atlanta for 5 years and I finally got my teacher certification in History. But I cannot find a job. There is no need for History teachers throughout Georgia. Unless you have a degree in Math or Science or Spanish, good luck!

Old 10-17-2009, 04:15 PM

432 posts, read 760,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedup2008 View Post
Originally Posted by PharmOne:
check atlanta public schools, they may have some openings. or decatur city schools.

These two schools systems are not hiring! Decatur is one of the best school districts out there, they are never really hiring. Atlanta is the highest paid one, so they get fill up really quick!
APS pays well indeed, but that system also has a high turnover rate due to conditions created by inner-city poverty.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,244 times
Yes, I have several relatives that teach in Atlanta and just went through painful pay cuts last month. I was a bit surprised as one of them teaches a high demand subject shortage area. This tells me that things are a bit grim. I had thought of relocating to GA in order to be closer to family, but the lack of teaching positions makes my decision harder to make. Hey, if anyone is up for colder weather, look at the New England area (CT)/New York/Boston lots of new charter, magnet public montessori school choice etc. and the pay is great! I would say weigh the pros/cons and go for what works best. Those of you in Atlanta, please keep us posted! Good luck everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta