Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:30 PM

6 posts, read 24,534 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I know the economy is very bad and EVERYONE is looking for a job. I know that teaching is a very easy job to get into and so the market is saturated. With that being said I am wondering how hard it will be to get a job teaching in the Atlanta area for the 2009-2010 school year. I have been teaching high school social studies for nine years in Maryland. I have taught World History, American History, and American Government. I have also been teaching in the high school law program they have for students now. I taught Intro to Law and Criminal Justice, Street Law, General Law, Institutional Principles and Trial and Advocacy.

I also have experience coaching debate, cheerleading and dance. I have also been a class advisor for five years as well as a department chair for one.

I am desperately looking for a teaching job in the Atlanta area. I live in Maryland now but my significant other lives in Georgia so I would like to move asap but I dont want to move without a job.

Does anyone have an advice on how to get hired? Much like everyone in the United States I am DESPERATELY SEEKING A JOB!. I am already planning on attending the job fair in March. Is there anything else I need to do? I really need a job bad and I am afraid with so many applicants I wont find something.

IF NOT WHEN I RELOCATE, I am looking to go back to school to get a Masters in Special Education. I already hold one on School Administration and Supervision as well as another one in Human Resources. I also hold a certificate in Management and leadership.

Please please please give me any advice you can. I am anxious to relocate. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 06:37 PM

293 posts, read 1,106,703 times
Right now, counties in the metro area are on hiring freezes. There are many new teachers that will be shifted around these systems because of increased class sizes and the decrease this has caused in teaching positions, elementary through high school.

The focus now is placing these surplused teachers before hiring from the outside. Now, this is not to say that outside applicants won't be considered, but right now, they are not priority simply because there are some new teachers hired this year who's jobs are in jeopardy for next year that are trying to get placed.

Hate to put a grim outlook on it, but I've been teaching here for 6 years and never would've imagined that it would come to this.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:51 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,807,520 times
Gwinnett county is opening some new schools in the near future and they are hiring.

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-mainweb01.nsf

Old 04-27-2009, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 10,494 times
Default Desperately Seeking Employment in GA

Can anyone provide more information on the situation with surplus teachers in GA? Are teachers being placed right now? I, too, will be relocating to the metro Atlanta area this summer. I currently teach in Florida and we are pretty much in the same boat. However, teacher contracts here aren't signed until August so we complete intent forms for the following school year. Many teachers are holding on to their position (on paper) although they know they will not return - out of fear.

I heard that GA educators were granted more time to withdraw from their contract without penalty, which means teachers may be holding onto positions in GA as well. Is this true?

I have applied with Dekalb, APS, Gwinnett and Clayton counties. I am interviewing soon to substitute in Gwinnett but I would really like to obtain a teaching position! I know that APS & Gwinnett are opening new schools in August. What is the hiring situation for new schools?

Can anyone please HELP!!??

Old 04-28-2009, 01:00 PM

102 posts, read 364,822 times
The only openings in Gwinnett appear to be special ed positions. All contracts have been signed and the new schools have their faculty lined up. I have taught here for 18 years and have never seen the job prospects this bad! Not a good time to be looking for a teaching job in the area. I hope it gets better in a year or two. In the meantime, sub as much as you can!

Old 04-28-2009, 02:44 PM

4 posts, read 19,696 times
I'm in the same boat as far as a teaching position. I'm looking to move to Atlanta- ASAP- however the job opportunities are slim to none. It's ridiculously depressing! Absolutely everyone that I've talked to has had nothing but negative things to say.

Some have been a little optimistic about jobs opening up within the next month or so- but we'll see... Coming from Ohio- I've heard NOTHING but how the South is desperate for teachers. I guess not this year!

I know that subbing is the next best option- which I'm totally open to- but here's my question, and I'm sure you'll have a similar one: are SUBBING opportunities even likely? If I'm on a sub list, will I even have a good chance at getting frequent call ins?

Old 04-28-2009, 04:06 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,565 times
After hiring an average of 1500 teachers a year for the past few years, I read (I think in the Gwinnett Daily Post, but could be the AJC) that Gwinnett is only hiring something like 200 - 250 this year.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:28 PM

17 posts, read 79,692 times
check atlanta public schools, they may have some openings. or decatur city schools.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,291 times
I too am searching for a position in the Atlanta Metro and have been trying to relocate there for 2 years. I have continuously applied for assistant principal positions in Gwinnett, Cobb, DeKalb and Fulton counties with no response. I have excellent credentials that can be backed by school data, impeccable references and Ivy League school administration training. I was told by one person that if I don’t know anyone who works in these districts, securing a position in school administration is impossible. Is this true? Would it help if I travel to the Atlanta area and visit the districts where I have applied? Please give any suggestions you might have!

Old 05-10-2009, 04:08 PM

293 posts, read 1,106,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muriel7008 View Post
I too am searching for a position in the Atlanta Metro and have been trying to relocate there for 2 years. I have continuously applied for assistant principal positions in Gwinnett, Cobb, DeKalb and Fulton counties with no response. I have excellent credentials that can be backed by school data, impeccable references and Ivy League school administration training. I was told by one person that if I don’t know anyone who works in these districts, securing a position in school administration is impossible. Is this true? Would it help if I travel to the Atlanta area and visit the districts where I have applied? Please give any suggestions you might have!
Well right now, most districts are on hiring freezes. Most new schools (especially in Fulton where I teach) are shuffling staff members within. I know also in Fulton, Assistant Principals are going to receive a significant pay cut as a remedy to balance out the budget shortfall. Administration was one of the first areas where the cuts started.

Right now, it isn't even about knowing someone, as those connections are being sliced because of these hiring freezes. Bottom line, if you're not an internal employee right now, you must play the waiting game.

I wouldn't waste my time coming here to meet with the districts, as they will tell you (as they've told some of my colleagues wanting to apply) to apply online and they will be contacted when something comes around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta