Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:25 AM

82 posts, read 335,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggums View Post
Enough for the rant. So my wife and I are talking about moving back east where we can get rid of a problem such as this, and raise our kids where there are good southern / conservative values in an area where there is still diversity on all fronts, and my kid can attend the school in the district I am paying my property taxes in.
Can you qualify "good southern / conservative values"? The reason I ask is that I hear similar terms like that used, but as a relative newcomer to the South, I have no idea what those mean exactly. Not a troll, not a flame, serious question.

FWIW, as an Angeleno transplant, I enjoy it here, especially the diversity ... feels like home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 11:30 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Can you sell your homes in California?

Two of my friends who are well respected lawyers said their firms are laying off. One friend who was working part time just got laid off.

I do have to say that I sympathize with the funky way that school assignment is done in California, though I wish Metro Atlanta schools had some way to handle overflow students instead of just shoving them in trailers.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:34 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Are you the moderator? That's what I thought.
Wow...an attitude when you're the one who made the comments. I'll tell you something, as a teacher I have never seen an influx of Asian residents cause a school district to DECLINE - it's normally the opposite. In general, the Asian students that I've taught in the past have been nothing but good students...respectful and intelligent.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:55 AM

171 posts, read 357,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Wow...an attitude when you're the one who made the comments. I'll tell you something, as a teacher I have never seen an influx of Asian residents cause a school district to DECLINE - it's normally the opposite. In general, the Asian students that I've taught in the past have been nothing but good students...respectful and intelligent.
There is no doubt that if you want to know the best school districts out here, one indicator is whether there is a large Asian population or not. They know where to put their kids to their kids have every chance at an excellent education. And yes, they tend to be very respectful and intelligent. However, because of the demands the Asian community is putting on certain school systems, there are not enough seats for everyone. By no means did I intend to infer that Asians were ruining the school aside from making it VERY difficult to get your kid in.

As for selling my homes in California, I have four of them. I'm not interested in selling. I have no problem keeping three of them rented, and the fourth will be as easy as well. And if I'm living somewhere like Atlanta or Charlotte, and enjoy California appreciation when it happens (and it will happen again), I'll be making money hand over fist but living a cheaper lifestyle in another quality surburban area.

Good southern values. Well, I'm sure that is very subjective but to me, but good southern values to me means respecting your neighbors, making an effort to get to know your neighbors, good quality family time, hard work in school and/or job, caring for those around you, even strangers, etc. Love for your country in good times or bad, an interest in protecting your rights under the Constitution, including the Second Amendment, etc., rather than just taking them for granted.

The neighbors out here couldn't care less. I have three houses in the immediate area around me. Two Asian, one white. The white neighbor is a douchebag, as is his wife. They are very odd and the weirdest of circumstances has basically pegged them as the people nobody likes. One set of Asian neighbors are okay, they are young and flashy and have an air of superiority about them, yet they are tenants. They are clean, quiet, and otherwise just fine. The other Asian neighbors are fantastic neighbors, but they pretty much keep to themselves. One thing about California living is that you don't get to know your neighbors, and any attempts to try to do so are met with suspicion. Its very odd. I'm not a church-goer, but I still enjoy some sense of community and in many ways it does not exist out here, at least around the neighborhood. Yes, in sports and stuff when you get off your little street, there is a great sense of community. But then everyone goes home and isolates themselves. Weird.

The other thing - both sets of Asian families around me have children, two kids each, roughly the same ages. Yet, I've hardly seen their kids around. I wouldn't know their kids if I was asked to point them out. Neither family gets together, and the area is somewhat tight and I'd have noticed. My 5 year old is their kids age, but I'm sure my kid wouldn't be able to point out their kids either. When I walk my dog, the fantastic Asian neighbors house has piano music coming from it, so I know their little girl plays piano and practices a lot. But this go home and close up the house mentality and don't meet / hang out / let your kids play with the neighbors kids is what goes on out here. Our desire to move also has to do with the dream that it is different elsewhere.

When I was a kid in Atlanta and Montgomery in the 1970s, I remember parents standing in the street talking for hours and watching the kids play, and all the kids in the neighborhood played. There were big wheels, green machines, tricycles, etc. Kids of all ages going up and down the street and playing all afternoon long.

Today, at least here in CA, this does not happen at all. Neighbors pull into the garage and close the door. Barely a hello when you see your neighbors. And I'm beginning to suspect that things are changing all over, this idea of community and enjoying your street, the neighborhood, and getting to know your neighbors, just does not exist anymore. I suppose parents go home to their plasma tvs, computers connected to the internet, and isolate themselves, and let the kids play in the backyard unsupervised. Perhaps times have changed and some of my ideals have not changed with it.

And if it is the same all over, and I won't end up knowing my neighbors elsewhere, and my kids won't get to know the other kids, at least I can do it in a place where the taxes are less, we get more space for our money, both on our lot and the size of our house, etc. It does kind of suck being packed in like sardines with people who don't give a damn about whether you exist or not, and treat their neighbors like they don't exist, only look out for themselves, etc.

Last edited by diggums; 02-24-2009 at 12:25 PM..

Old 02-24-2009, 12:28 PM

25 posts, read 68,362 times
My house in Huntington Beach was at the end of a cul-de-sac, and it was the friendliest neighborhood you could imagine. All the kids on the street would skateboard and throw around footballs/baseballs in the street. Adult neighbors would socialize on the street and front lawns, and often would come to my pool for bbqs and relaxing in the sun. Everyone knew everyone on my street. I can't imagine a friendlier neighborhood than that. I'm sure there are friendly places like that in Atlanta, and certainly other places where people just go home and close the garage door as you say. I think being on a dead end street helps as my girlfriend's area in West Virginia is similar to my experience in Huntington Beach.

Also I was speaking of modern day Huntington Beach, I lived on that street from 2006-2008. Just because your neighborhood in Irvine doesn't have a sense of community does not mean that is the case throughout Orange County.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:31 PM

171 posts, read 357,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC_Marauder View Post
My house in Huntington Beach was at the end of a cul-de-sac, and it was the friendliest neighborhood you could imagine. All the kids on the street would skateboard and throw around footballs/baseballs in the street. Adult neighbors would socialize on the street and front lawns, and often would come to my pool for bbqs and relaxing in the sun. Everyone knew everyone on my street. I can't imagine a friendlier neighborhood than that. I'm sure there are friendly places like that in Atlanta, and certainly other places where people just go home and close the garage door as you say. I think being on a dead end street helps as my girlfriend's area in West Virginia is similar to my experience in Huntington Beach.
We are finding Irvine, at least our particular residential development (which is the nicest around), to be quite the opposite. Very weird. We have beautiful parks. There are other kids there, but most are tended to by nannys who barely speak English. Oh well.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:35 PM

3,242 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:

Anyway, we want a similar lifestyle to what we currently have. Beautiful, cared for neighborhoods, even gated if possible. Golf course community is greatly preferred. I am open to a price range on a house from between 450,000 to $750,000.

Good schools top the list.

It would be nice to live in an area with the finest grocery stores, plus a Trader Joe's (don't know if they are in Atlanta).

Also, I'm an attorney. In California, we have a publication called The Daily Journal which offers advertising for legal positions. We also use Craigslist a lot out here. Atlanta seems to have some legal job activity on Craigslist, but are there any other sources?

All advice is greatly appreciated.
I recommend looking first in the East Cobb area. This area will have a Marietta address on the realtor searches. On the map this is the area east of the Marietta Highway 120 loop. Here is a list of elementary schools in that area.

East Cobb elementary schools

This area has reasonable access to good stores.

Trader Joe's Store

Whole Foods

When visiting the area the drive along the river road is very nice and there is a fantastic playground for the kids on the river.

Azalea Park Playground - Roswell GA

The area west of this Kroger has some very nice residential areas with easy access to downtown or Buckhead,however the Fulton County schools are not as highly rated.

The Roswell & Alpharetta areas also have many nice subdivisions. The problem in this area is traffic,especially with access just getting to the 400 freeway. One of my favorite areas of Roswell is around the Georgia Golf Center.

Wills Park in Alpharetta has an awesome playground for the kids.

Cherokee County will also have great communities however it is farther out and commuting could be an issue if you work intown.

Daily Report

Last edited by capoeira; 02-24-2009 at 12:51 PM..

Old 02-24-2009, 12:45 PM

25 posts, read 68,362 times
Quote:
We are finding Irvine, at least our particular residential development (which is the nicest around), to be quite the opposite. Very weird. We have beautiful parks. There are other kids there, but most are tended to by nannys who barely speak English. Oh well.
Maybe the problem is the type of community? I've never lived in a gated/planned community but I always get the vibe that people in those parts keep to themselves. Personally that's why I enjoy unplanned communities, they just seem more "real" to me and less sterile.

Also on the topic of parks there aren't many around Atlanta, I think there is another post devoted to that subject.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:47 PM

82 posts, read 335,403 times
Quote:
<snip>
Good southern values. Well, I'm sure that is very subjective but to me, but good southern values to me means respecting your neighbors, making an effort to get to know your neighbors, good quality family time, hard work in school and/or job, caring for those around you, even strangers, etc. Love for your country in good times or bad, an interest in protecting your rights under the Constitution, including the Second Amendment, etc., rather than just taking them for granted.
<snip>
Subjective indeed. By your definition, you'll probably find it a better fit here than CA. In my experience (in the burbs) people are beyond friendly, retail salespeople actually seem to enjoy their jobs and are pleasant and kids actually play outside.

Again, here in the burbs, schools are great, the school bus is free, pre-K is free if you sign up early enough for a spot and taxes and the cost of living is generally less across the board.

FWIW, in L.A., our local school was only a few blocks away but was filled up so we had to drive the next closest school.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:30 PM

8 posts, read 25,696 times
Trader Joe's is awesome. This page might help you with the school search, it shows elementary, middle, and high schools across Atlanta and they are color coded by their rating.
Atlamta Real Estate Tools | Atlanta Home Mortgage Rates, Calculators, and Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta