Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 06:32 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
First off I am a native Atlantan and yes we actually exist for you transplants! I say this because for my entire life I have had to tip-toe around anything racial in this town just because I am a white southerner and I am sick of this double standard.
I get tired of white people that I talk to dancing around the issue of why they support the Confederate flag knowing full well the horrible history behind it. I am also tired of the unwillingness of white people in Georgia not getting on the idea of good transportation in Metropolitan Atlanta simply because they nurse this subtle "black people bring crime" crap. I also get tired of white people using "communism" as an excuse for not supporting a black candidate who is progressive even though "racial collectivsm" is just as bad as "fiscal collectivism"(communism). Collectivism and the denial of individual rights is bad no matter what banner it's practiced under.

Quote:
Minorities can ask any sort of racial question whether it is justified or not but yet let a white say it and we are instantly in the Klan. Just look at the post that minorities place on here asking about "why don't blacks live in this part of town?", "will I fit in this white part of town?" or my personal favorite "If I move to Atlanta will I be lynched by racist?" Why can't whites ask similar questions without being labled as a bigot or racist?.

Believe it or not there are many of us(myself included) in black america who feel the same way. Here is the problem: Corporate media will not give us a voice. The Powers-that-be for some reason feel that it is necessary for us as a people to perpetually argue about nonsense like "Why can't I say the "N" word and he can?" or "Why can't I talk about this without being percieved racist?"

Of course, you also have too many people in this society that also seem to be perceiving themselves forever as victims, unable to deal with past anger and unable to move on. On the flip side you also have other people who feel that they have been denied some sort of southern "honor" and will perpetually nurse old grudges(South losing the Civil War). Both sides in their own way are ideologically unwilling to come to grips with the past and move on.

Quote:
Why can't I post a question on here asking about where the white parts of town are at or where whites hang out, etc.? Why cant I ask about all white schools? Am I the only one that notices this blatant double standard? I am the only one cares? Just food for thought.
I notice the double standard too. Hopefully more people will become enlightened to this nonsense of digging up old bodies and start talking about it. Obama's U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder is right: We Americans ARE cowards when it comes to race...

Old 02-24-2009, 06:35 PM

214 posts, read 595,158 times
To throw in my .02 about the original question, I personally feel badly when whites are clearly at a loss as to what is and isn't "OK". I think I may have told this story on here before, but here goes... my daughter played soccer for a team where she was one of two black girls. During a game early in the season, the other black girl scored a goal while my daughter was on the bench. One of the parents sitting near me missed seeing the shot, and asked her mother who scored. Her mother tried to describe the girl as EVERYTHING but black - "The one with the ponytail" (every girl), "with the dark hair" (75% of the girls) "a little tall and with her shirt untucked".... it just went on and on. I had to bite my tongue so I didn't laugh and just blurt out "The black girl!"

Stuff like that makes me feel sorry for the people of any race who mean no harm but have been bombarded by the idea that they could be on the news portrayed as a racist at any given moment. For instance, I have no idea what to call people that are very, very short. If I saw things on the news everyday about how this, that, and the other offended that group, I'd be gunshy about saying anything too. That doesn't make it OK to say the wrong thing, but it would suck if I couldn't ask about "tall" neighborhoods because I'm tall.

May be a terrible analogy, forgive... my head hurts and I haven't been out of the house in days.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:37 PM

214 posts, read 595,158 times
I was typing when AcidSnake posted that awesome reply, so two thumbs up for what he/she said

Old 02-24-2009, 06:51 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
Quote:
First off I am a native Atlantan and yes we actually exist for you transplants! I say this because for my entire life I have had to tip-toe around anything racial in this town just because I am a white southerner and I am sick of this double standard. Minorities can ask any sort of racial question whether it is justified or not but yet let a white say it and we are instantly in the Klan. Just look at the post that minorities place on here asking about "why don't blacks live in this part of town?", "will I fit in this white part of town?" or my personal favorite "If I move to Atlanta will I be lynched by racist?" Why can't whites ask similar questions without being labled as a bigot or racist? Why cant I post a question on here asking about where the white parts of town are at or where whites hang out, etc.? Why cant I ask about all white schools? Am I the only one that notices this blatant double standard? I am the only one cares? Just food for thought.
Yes, there is a double standard. But you have to understand why it began in the first place.

In my experience (and this is only my experience, not a sweeping generalization), when someone white asks for areas that are predominantly white, it is because 9 times out of 10 they've had bad experiences with blacks (the other 1 time is Hispanics). It may be seen as a PC way of saying "I have no desire to associate with any of them" as if all black act a certain way. (Historically) When blacks say they want to live in areas with other blacks, it's to avoid discrimination. Rarely do I hear the reason as being because they've had bad experiences with whites. So I admit, when I see threads asking for white areas of town, my radar goes off. I don't have a problem if someone white wants to live in a predominantly white neighborhood. However, many of the posts then add that they've lived near or greatly associated (for whatever reason) with minorities with a low socioeconomic status, which tend to have those qualities that many of us prefer not to associate with, regardless of race.
When people ask about predominantly Jewish areas, I understand it as wanting to be around people with a similar faith, and to not be discriminated against, not as racist or anything else.

It's all in the wording of a post. If the post is worded, "We are a 40 something white couple with 3 kids ages whatever, and are looking for a home at X price point, near whatever. What areas fit our needs?" I don't think posters are going to steer them toward College Park.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:14 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,233 times
All you have to do is look at all of the what areas are "safe" topics and look at the responses. Im not even going to go too deep with this topic because it'll get locked quick.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:30 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,233 times
Oh gee not liking name calling and stereotyping... how ironic is that.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:39 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Oh gee not liking name calling and stereotyping... how ironic is that.
The name calling and stereotyping isnt the issue, its how it is totally acceptable in this country to denigrate an entire region of this country that ticks me off!! Yet it isnt PC to say this to this group or this to that group because you mind offend them! The hypocrisy is sickening! White or black if you are a native of the south you should take offense. Just my opinion though.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:53 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
Quote:
I see so 48% of voting Americans are "small minded" because they didnt vote for change or whatever the libs are calling it these days. Nice logic, you out did yourself on that one!
Here is a sobering and honest question that I as an African American have always wanted to ask a white person which is what I assume you are:

What is this thing about white people in the south and bashing "liberalism"? I see a lot of white guys that I work with at my place of occupation throw this around so easily. What is it about "liberalism" that get southern whites all up in arms? Please answer this question truthfully and honestly, because I can't get the people at my job to do so.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:16 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Here is a sobering and honest question that I as an African American have always wanted to ask a white person which is what I assume you are:

What is this thing about white people in the south and bashing "liberalism"? I see a lot of white guys that I work with at my place of occupation throw this around so easily. What is it about "liberalism" that get southern whites all up in arms? Please answer this question truthfully and honestly, because I can't get the people at my job to do so.
Can't speak for your co-workers, but this white southern male doesn't like liberalism in the broader ideological realm because it supports bloated big brother government, a welfare state, is anti business, loves to tax and spend, creates a sea of bueracracy that slows down everything it does, is inefficient, imposes PC at the drop of the hat, bashes anything to do with Christianity, taxes, taxes, taxes and more taxes, creates political power structures and a populace dependent on their handouts too unwilling to raise themselves up by their own bootstraps, taxes too much, raise taxes, spends, spends, spends my hardworking money that I see too little of each month because it goes out in taxes, has a snobbery that equates conservative ideals with illiterate and ignorant, loves to tax, loves to control, loves political power, thinks its viewpoint is morally superior....

Those are a few things that I dislike about liberalism. Oh, and did I mention liberalism loves to tax anything and everything?

Old 02-24-2009, 08:21 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post

I'm not the OP but I'll give you my opinion as a Southerner, Catholic at that and not Baptist as most people assume.

I could point out all points, but the biggest one I give my sister-in-law, who's a died hard liberal, is the 'Save a tree, kill a baby' argument.

I'm not saying democrats, there's several deep South White Democrats, they're just more conservative, not liberal democrats.

The OP had a point, but it's gotten better in these forums over the last year, however in the last couple weeks people have been bringing up the racism threads again. White Christians used to get blasted on here for asking the same questions as Jews, Blacks, Asians, Indians, etc.

Thats why my 'status' says I'm a 'Racist b/c I'm a White, Southern Republican"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta