Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-25-2009, 08:42 PM
 
1 posts, read 6,687 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

I am torn between investing in a new condo that is on Piedmont Park vs. one in the Midtown West district at White Provision. Has anyone heard anything about midtown west in terms of any future planned development aside from already exists and aside from the Westside Urban Market expansion over to White Provision? Which area would be a better investment value? In MidtownWest they are offering a tax abatement on property taxes till 2023 which is a great incentive, and the pricing is a bit better. But I Feel like you also can't beat a location that is on Piedmont park. Both units are somwhat comparable in price,the differing factors are their locations and property taxes. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Status: "Pickleball-Free American" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Reputation: 16840
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownKtown View Post
I am torn between investing in a new condo that is on Piedmont Park vs. one in the Midtown West district at White Provision. Has anyone heard anything about midtown west in terms of any future planned development aside from already exists and aside from the Westside Urban Market expansion over to White Provision? Which area would be a better investment value? In MidtownWest they are offering a tax abatement on property taxes till 2023 which is a great incentive, and the pricing is a bit better. But I Feel like you also can't beat a location that is on Piedmont park. Both units are somwhat comparable in price,the differing factors are their locations and property taxes. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks
Exactly.
Midtown West is still primarily industrial, unwalkable and will be for some time.
I would easily choose the Piedmont Park location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
625 posts, read 1,149,021 times
Reputation: 227
The HOA's around the park are insane. I'd love to live in a condo but it seems like condo dweller are the types who don't want to ever do anything themselves, and want to hire the most expensive person to do things for them. I'm more of a DIY'er I need a garage or workspace so I don't know yet if condo living is for me. Maybe a large loft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
I'd love to live in a condo but it seems like condo dweller are the types who don't want to ever do anything themselves, and want to hire the most expensive person to do things for them.
I'm a condo dweller, and this doesn't even come close to describing me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Working on infraction #2
341 posts, read 1,337,768 times
Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Exactly.
Midtown West is still primarily industrial, unwalkable and will be for some time.
I would easily choose the Piedmont Park location.

Your right most of it is unwalkable, but where the OP is thinking about buying (White Provision) is within 2 blocks in either direction of some of the best restaurants in the city. Go another mile in either direction and you have even more restaurants. Not to mention that the view of the skyline from the White Provision condos is crazy. I dont live to far from there and I drive by that development everyday and its very nice now they have finally finished most of the construction. Perfect location also so I would have to say West Midtown. Did I mention the view? it looks wonderful on the street level, so Im sure the top floors have spectacular views
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Status: "Pickleball-Free American" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Reputation: 16840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
Your right most of it is unwalkable, but where the OP is thinking about buying (White Provision) is within 2 blocks in either direction of some of the best restaurants in the city. Go another mile in either direction and you have even more restaurants. Not to mention that the view of the skyline from the White Provision condos is crazy. I dont live to far from there and I drive by that development everyday and its very nice now they have finally finished most of the construction. Perfect location also so I would have to say West Midtown. Did I mention the view? it looks wonderful on the street level, so Im sure the top floors have spectacular views
Yes, I realize that White Provision has its' good points (I love Bacchanalia and JCT Kitchen), but to me the two neighborhoods are apple and orange. East Midtown has an elegance at street level that West Midtown lacks. It will not always be thus, but it is today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Working on infraction #2
341 posts, read 1,337,768 times
Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yes, I realize that White Provision has its' good points (I love Bacchanalia and JCT Kitchen), but to me the two neighborhoods are apple and orange. East Midtown has an elegance at street level that West Midtown lacks. It will not always be thus, but it is today.

I agree, but if he is buying for investment purposes, and not for the here and now, I would say West Midtown because I see a tremendous upside for that area in 10 years. East Midtown will always be more elegant than West Midtown simply because of the industrial areas on the backside on Huff and Marietta roads. Now if they ever build that Westside park over there where that quarry is now, I dont know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 01:07 PM
 
66 posts, read 276,772 times
Reputation: 41
There are also discussions about turning the water retention pond areas right on Howell Mill into city parks. My vote is for White Provisions. You can't beat the tax concessions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2009, 01:41 PM
 
163 posts, read 306,889 times
Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownKtown View Post
I am torn between investing in a new condo that is on Piedmont Park vs. one in the Midtown West district at White Provision.....
As you most likely know, Piedmont Park is an established, popular intown recreational and leisure area, which makes it very appealing for home seekers especially those seeking the condo lifestyle. The area has lots of entertainment and restaurant options, as well as a vibrant social scene.
I don't see this changing any time soon, which is why I would give a perference to PP over Midtown West, which will take a while to become as well known.

As for resale, it would, in general, be easier for agents to market a PP property than Midtown West.... On the other hand, I've seen many condos in PP that were in deplorable condition, yet the sellers were wanting mad money so, as in any potetnial real estate transaction, finding the "right" property is work no matter what the locale.

Now, this isn't to say that Midtown West would be bad. If you plan to hang out for a while in Atlanta then this might be an opportunity to get into a growing area at very attractive pricing. However, since the condo market is rather slow, it might take a while for you to experience appreciation so you would need to be patient. For me, the primary determinant would be anticiapted time at home. If you travel a lot or work long hours then I don't know that living next to a social scene would be such a priority. In such a case functionality and reliability of the unit, a reasonable Condo Association (this topic alone deserves its own thread), would be my primary concerns.

Lastly, there are SO many condos on the market right now, thus you should be able to get a great deal no matter where you wind up living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Status: "Pickleball-Free American" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Reputation: 16840
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl-gal View Post
There are also discussions about turning the water retention pond areas right on Howell Mill into city parks. My vote is for White Provisions. You can't beat the tax concessions.
That would be a HUGE boost to West Midtown. They can't do it soon enough IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:49 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top