Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2009, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 6,387 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon,

I am relocating to Alpharetta in May with my current job and was hoping that you all could give me some pointers on the area.

Specifically:
1. Are there any 'bad' parts of Alpharetta? (1b. Relatively speaking?)
2. How is the area along the section of Jones Bridge Rd between State Bridge Rd and Old Alabama Rd?
3. How is the area along the section of Jones Bridge Rd between McGennis Ferry Rd and Peachtree Pkwy?
4. Is there a central area for restaurants and shopping?
5. Is there a (or are there multiple) 'old downtown' type area with tree-lined streets and within walking distance of restaurants and shopping? (Think College Park/Winter Park in Orlando if you are familiar.)
6. I keep hearing about the traffic. Are certain roads and areas heavier than others? What sections of what roads get the most congested?
7. How do the John's Creek, Windward, and Alpharetta/Milton areas compare?

I know these are broad questions, but any input you can provide would be wonderful. I apologize in advance for all of the questions, but I am looking to buy a home and want to make sure that I have all of my bases covered in advance.

Thank you all for any assistance you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 01:18 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
If you are looking for a house, you can buy just about anywhere in the areas you asked about. Some of the apartment complexes have issues with crime, but single family homes are considered safe.

Do you have children? The schools in any of these areas are among the best in the state too.

I can't comment on the roads you asked about, as they are all east of 400 and we live west, in Milton. I used to have to drive on Kimball Bridge and Jones Bridge, and they were a nightmare during typical commute times, but I haven't been on them since widening construction has ended. My experience has been the traffic was worse on the east side.

Downtown Alpharetta has lots of good little places to eat, and boutique type shops. Yesterday a friend and I found a furniture consignment shop right off the main square that made me sorry I had bought so much new stuff after moving here. Supposedly the new future goal in Alpharetta is a real downtown square, but it hasn't begun yet. Windward and John's Creek are miles of strip malls, with lots of store front restaurants. The major shopping is around North Point Parkway, where there is a mall as well as big box stores and some strip malls.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,383 times
Default Alpharetta area

Are you looking to buy or rent?

Old 03-02-2009, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 6,387 times
I would be most interested in buying, but am open to the idea of renting for the first year or two to become better acquainted with the area.

Do you have any pros or cons to either?

How does the 30041 area compare with 30022?

I am open to any and all input that anyone can provide. I want to make an informed decision, which is difficult remotely.

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2009, 01:31 PM

611 posts, read 2,307,247 times
Welcome soon to the Alpharetta area 32!

Mattie gave a good answer. I haven't heard of the apartment crime issues though; I just know the entire area you're considering is a safe one with good schools. We live on the east side of 400, so I can share some additional details. There really aren't any "bad" areas that I can think of in the Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Windward, Milton, etc areas. Regarding the specific roads you ask about, all of those areas are nice with some older neighborhoods mixed in with newer ones. The older ones are safe and kept up well. Comparing these areas is difficult because they are all very similar. To help you know, the boundaries of these "places" can be confusing because some have Duluth, Suwanee, Crabapple, and Roswell postal addresses. For example, we live just north of Johns Creek, but our home is considered Suwanee even though we are in Forsyth county. We purposely chose Forsyth county because property taxes are lower than Fulton county, and we have great schools too.

Restaurants/shopping are spread throughout that entire area. Like Mattie said, there is Northpointe Mall and the quaint downtown area of Alpharetta. In addition, there are lots of strip malls and restaurants on quite a few roads with the majority being along Old Milton Pkwy/State Bridge Road and Medlock Bridge/Peachtree Pkwy.

In recent years, a lot of road improvement has occurred with roads being added and expanded. It has gotten much better than it used to be; however, more still needs to be done to make rush hour traffic flow smoother. Some of the roads that have been improved/added are: McFarland, Mathis Airport Pkwy, Peachtree Pkwy, Ronald Reagan Blvd, Windemere Pkwy, Morris Road, Westside Pkwy, etc.

This really is a very nice place to live. I think you and your family are going to enjoy living here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta