Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:06 PM

214 posts, read 563,002 times

Advertisements

Or do you know anything about the area? How does this neighborhood compare to others (i.e., north decatur, oakgrove, etc)? Are there any noise issues associated with the airport (PDK)/ train?

Thanks for the info. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 06:18 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,607,582 times
Ashford Park has a very strong homeowners association..

Ashford Park Civic Association

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ashfordpark/

Oak Grove is a little more polished and never fell into the disrepair that Ashford Park did. Ashford Park is an up and coming neighborhood... Oak Grove arrived decades ago.

Ashford Park is still a little "rough around the edges." The economy has certainly slowed its gentrification but much has already occurred.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:43 AM

Thanks for the info.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:55 AM

23,319 posts, read 43,781,735 times
I used to live in Oak Grove (and liked it) and I know Ashford Park pretty well. One thing that they share is that they have both been targets for the 'Teardown Craze'...older homes being leveled for new and much more expensive homes (although those that have been built in OG are significantly more expensive).
Ashford Park is on, shall we say, the 'less preferred' side of I-85...there is still a ways to go in some of the neighborhoods around there, but mainly due to the excellent location of AP I am confident that it will hit it's stride in the years to come. There is a lot going on there that is positive; the loft-style gentrification of neighboring Chamblee (already well on its' way), the village area developing on Dresden Drive in south Brookhaven, having upscale Brookhaven as a neighbor, and the Town Brookhaven development on Peachtree.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:39 AM

16,633 posts, read 29,306,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I used to live in Oak Grove (and liked it) and I know Ashford Park pretty well. One thing that they share is that they have both been targets for the 'Teardown Craze'...older homes being leveled for new and much more expensive homes (although those that have been built in OG are significantly more expensive).
Ashford Park is on, shall we say, the 'less preferred' side of I-85...there is still a ways to go in some of the neighborhoods around there, but mainly due to the excellent location of AP I am confident that it will hit it's stride in the years to come. There is a lot going on there that is positive; the loft-style gentrification of neighboring Chamblee (already well on its' way), the village area developing on Dresden Drive in south Brookhaven, having upscale Brookhaven as a neighbor, and the Town Brookhaven development on Peachtree.
Ashford Park also has good/decent schools...Ashford Park Elementary, Chamblee Middle, and Chamblee High...

Ashford Park Elementary is especially noteworthy for the community involvement with the school.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I couldn't agree more... Ashford Park will be a totally different neighborhood down the road... It isn't a bad place now just more urban than suburban in many ways.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:37 PM

Thanks so much for the info!!

I have been bouncing back and forth regarding our future home location. Every time I think that I have it narrowed down, something comes up and I begin to second guess that decision. I think Ashford Park would be great but I am concerned about the effects that PDK will have on property/resale value and quality of life. I would prefer to live in atlanta's NE suburbs (i.e., Briarlake, Evansdale, Oak grove, etc) but it seems that the homes in our price range ($500,000 or less) are not as well kept or are lacking some items that we really would like to have in a long term home (ex. 4 bedrooms plus office space, yard for toddler and 2 rambunctious dogs, non-dated kitchen and baths).

What are your opinions about Ashford Park Elementary, Chamblee Middle and High? If I had to choose, I would love my son to be in a stable (and positive) environment. I know that we are a long ways from middle and high school. . .but with how the times are, I want to make sure that this move can accomate us for as long as possible.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:47 PM

Also, I have been looking into the Lake Clair/Candler Park neighborhood. . .can you compare Ashford Park to this area? I know that some streets of Lake Clair have a "scary" feel. . .kind of unkempt. Are there any areas like this in AP?

Lastly, if you had to choose, which area would be considered the most culturally, racially, and spiritually diverse? Can you also include the Smyrna area in this comparison?

Thanx

Old 03-04-2009, 02:12 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,405,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessnATL View Post
Also, I have been looking into the Lake Clair/Candler Park neighborhood. . .can you compare Ashford Park to this area? I know that some streets of Lake Clair have a "scary" feel. . .kind of unkempt. Are there any areas like this in AP?

Lastly, if you had to choose, which area would be considered the most culturally, racially, and spiritually diverse? Can you also include the Smyrna area in this comparison?

Thanx
~~~
Have you looked for homes in Sagamore Hills/Leafmore Hills? This would put you in the Sagamore Elementary/Shamrock Middle/Lakeside High School district. I would definitely look there. 60's ranch style homes and very safe/stable community.

Previous thread>>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ills-area.html
~~~

The area adjacent to Ashford Park can be a bit disconcerting. I refer to several subdivisions near Shallowford Rd and close to the I85 access road--if you are familiar with that section. I started out across from the Chamblee Library and toured ?? Clairmont Hills, then Ashford Park and ended up around Shallowford/Doraville.

There is also a sketchy area around Tilly Mill Rd--I'm not exactly certain how the streets connect but others may offer additional FYI.

Ashford Park is/and will be a very good place to live. I've lived in the Executive Park/Briarcliff/Clairmont area for many years and I'm impressed at the development and growth in this section. Close to Dunwoody and Brookhaven and part of the Emory corridor and Lenox/Buckhead.

Many posters have said that Smyrna is also developing nicely--around some sort of central shopping area. That's across the river from me so I don't have more specifics.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 03-04-2009 at 02:39 PM..

Old 03-04-2009, 02:52 PM

DeKalb Schools are at a real crossroads. If I had a choice, I would buy in the City of Atlanta -- where the trend is clearly upward rather than DeKalb. It doesn't mean that individual schools in DeKalb won't continue to shine, it is just that it may be harder to do so.

AP Elementary is trying to become a great neighborhood school. It has been embraced by the community and is up and coming. It is very diverse.

Chamblee Middle and Chamblee High are fine if you are in the magnet program, sub par if you are not. They are trying to change this -- but they have been trying for many years. As you said, you have a long time until you are at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta