Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:22 PM

21 posts, read 57,682 times

Advertisements

Hi, I currently live in Chattanooga but I am looking in the Atlanta area for a teaching job. I am attending a job fair in Atlanta on saterday where all of the surrounding counties will be attending. I am going to post a list of the schools/counties that are attending and if anyone has knowledge on the schools in the areas that would be very helpful. Also if anyone can give me a list of some schools in the counties that are more dangerous/ would be harder to teach in. Thanks!

Atlanta Public Schools

Bibb County Schools

Cartersville City Schools

Clarke County Schools

Clayton County Schools

Cobb County Schools

Columbia County Schools

DeKalb County Schools

Fayette County Schools

Forsyth County Schools

Fulton County Schools

Glynn County Schools

Griffin-Spalding County Schools

Gwinnett County Schools

Henry County Schools

McDuffie County Schools

Muscoee County

Paulding County Schools

Paulding Youth Detention Center

Richmond County Schools

Rockdale County Schools

Rome City Schools

Savannah-Chatham County Schools

Walton County Schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 06:37 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
How badly do you want a job? Unless you are special ed certified, secondary math or science... you can't be so picky this year.

Jobs are going to be scarce. Several school systems are laying off teachers (including some on the list-- go figure).

Old 03-03-2009, 06:57 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneSeelbach View Post
Hi, I currently live in Chattanooga but I am looking in the Atlanta area for a teaching job. I am attending a job fair in Atlanta on saterday where all of the surrounding counties will be attending. I am going to post a list of the schools/counties that are attending and if anyone has knowledge on the schools in the areas that would be very helpful. Also if anyone can give me a list of some schools in the counties that are more dangerous/ would be harder to teach in. Thanks!

Atlanta Public Schools/ATL

Bibb County Schools

Cartersville City Schools

Clarke County Schools

Clayton County Schools/ATL

Cobb County Schools/ATL

Columbia County Schools

DeKalb County Schools/ATL

Fayette County Schools/ATL

Forsyth County Schools/ATL

Fulton County Schools/ATL

Glynn County Schools

Griffin-Spalding County Schools

Gwinnett County Schools/ATL

Henry County Schools/ATL

McDuffie County Schools

Muscoee County

Paulding County Schools

Paulding Youth Detention Center

Richmond County Schools

Rockdale County Schools/ATL

Rome City Schools

Savannah-Chatham County Schools

Walton County Schools
I identified the school systems within the area considered Metro Atlanta. You might want to consider other parts of the state, too?

Cobb County is possibly/probably the best school system in metro Atlanta. Gwinnett County is the largest. Clayton County had its certification revoked and DeKalb County faces some major challenges. There are excellent schools in the City of Atlanta and Fulton County and there are schools with overwhelming pressures.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:19 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
No offense intended, so please take this in the spirit in which it's intended.

Did you know that advice is spelled with a "C" and not an "S" as you spelled it? Ordinarily I wouldn't point out spelling errors, and I'm not perfect, but I'm also not asking about a teaching position.

Please tell me that was just an innocent typo or that you really meant you wanted someone to advise you.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:54 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times
On the spelling topic, while helping my daughter study for a test recently, I pointed out the misspelling "hydrolic" in her notes. She indignantly rejoined that that's how it was written on the board, but then commented that the teacher in question is plainly a terrible speller. This is a nationally board certified teacher, too. (Regrettably, in my unscientific sample of my-kid's-teachers-to-date, I think the least well of those with national board certification.)

Old 03-03-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
On the spelling topic, while helping my daughter study for a test recently, I pointed out the misspelling "hydrolic" in her notes. She indignantly rejoined that that's how it was written on the board, but then commented that the teacher in question is plainly a terrible speller. This is a nationally board certified teacher, too. (Regrettably, in my unscientific sample of my-kid's-teachers-to-date, I think the least well of those with national board certification.)
About 10 years ago in Massachusetts, the state passed a requirement that all teachers had to be tested to retain their certification. The press shared some sample questions with the public, and they were questions that I would have expected possibly on an SAT or CRCT type test for students. Any teacher should have aced the test. Well 50% failed on the first go around. They ended up dropping the test.

Unfortunately, text messaging is causing the language skills of our children to be replaced by shorthand and slang, and many people don't have what I condsider to be basic literacy skills. More and more I cringe as I read poor grammar in the newspaper or hear the language mangled on TV news and programs. When you point out that people have trouble with basic English, the common response from many people is to tell you that you have no right to be the "grammar police." I usually keep it to myself, unless it will reflect poorly on me at work.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:37 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
No offense intended, so please take this in the spirit in which it's intended.

Did you know that advice is spelled with a "C" and not an "S" as you spelled it? Ordinarily I wouldn't point out spelling errors, and I'm not perfect, but I'm also not asking about a teaching position.

Please tell me that was just an innocent typo or that you really meant you wanted someone to advise you.
Poor spelling, overall, has nothing to do intelligence or teaching ability (unless the teacher is a teacher of grammar, spelling, language arts, reading, or English).

Old 03-03-2009, 11:49 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Poor spelling, overall, has nothing to do intelligence or teaching ability (unless the teacher is a teacher of grammar, spelling, language arts, reading, or English).

Aries, I have to disagree. One must lead by example. I am not a grammar police per se, as I make mistakes myself. However, I have to agree with neil0331 on this one. I dont want to be an aSS, but she also misspelled Saturday. (saterday). That's not a good example for a teacher.

Remember, elementary students have spelling words to do every week. You wouldn't want your child coming home with too many mistakes, would you?

Old 03-04-2009, 01:28 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Aries, I have to disagree. One must lead by example. I am not a grammar police per se, as I make mistakes myself. However, I have to agree with neil0331 on this one. I dont want to be an aSS, but she also misspelled Saturday. (saterday). That's not a good example for a teacher.

Remember, elementary students have spelling words to do every week. You wouldn't want your child coming home with too many mistakes, would you?
That's why I said unless they teach grammar, reading, spelling, language arts, English...which are core elementary subjects, MisterNY.

People are quick to point out the faults of teachers--there are poor spellers everywhere...if you teach the aforementioned subjects...yes, it's very important...but a science, math, or technology teacher could be a very poor speller, but then be one dynamic-a$$ teacher!

Poor spelling--illiteracy or poor education could be the culprit--but it has more to with other traits/characteristics like organization, left vs. right brain, etc...and often gender! Not intelligence at all.

I'm not trying to stick up for this OP teacher necessarily...I'm just trying to prevent a self-righteous stone-throwing about a topic that is rife with misunderstanding and misinformation.

Also, certain types are so quick to put others down or order to build themselves up...(and I'm not necessarily talking about you eithah...!)

Old 03-04-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Also, certain types are so quick to put others down or order to build themselves up...(and I'm not necessarily talking about you eithah...!)
"Certain types" ....hmmm who could you be talking about?

I've never criticized or put anyone down on this forum for spelling or grammar, or anything not related to their thoughts and the content of their posts. In this case, I think it certainly is important and relevant. If you want to be a teacher of children, you should have basic skills that you gained from education, and basic spelling and literacy should be among those skills.

You may be one of the "certain types" that ignores these kinds of things and makes excuses for them, but I want the people who teach my kids and other's kids to be educated and have basic communications skills, so that they can impart them on our children and set a good example.

I guess that makes me one of those "certain types"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta