Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:23 PM

7 posts, read 35,283 times

Advertisements

we keep hearing from people that ranches (1989+) are not popular and would be hard to resell.

can i get some opinion on yay and nays. what is it about them that people love or hate? with the aging baby boomer i assumed they will be becoming popular.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 12:00 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
There is a huge inventory of ranches in all parts of Atlanta from the 50s, 60s and 70s. We had a great 60s era ranch in Cobb that we purchased in 96 when all the new subdivisions were two story. We got a much larger lot, the house was on a full basement, so square footage was equal to what we could get in a newer subdivision for about 60% of the price. Hard wood floors under carpet, loads of room.

The payoff, small master suite (the room, the bath and closet) compared to more modern homes and a smaller kitchen. But the rest I felt was worth the difference as the secondary bedrooms and remaining living areas were larger than most two story homes that were available then.

I would think the smaller lot size that makes a development more profitable is the reason for two story homes these days. Stack the square footage upward and less house on the ground.

I still believe ranches are desired, but most will go for older, established neighborhoods. It is still more bang for the buck to buy something established and update in many instances than to go for new.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:00 AM

878 posts, read 2,736,393 times
Ranches I find to be a very tough sell...even the more elderly will go for a two story with a master on the main over a ranch in many instances.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:20 AM

129 posts, read 389,766 times
60's and 70's era ranches are great homes, but who doesn't like a 20's-40's tudor- style house ? ( or a tudor built today )

The brick beats what you get in most older Victorian homes.

Some of the most established communities in the city are loaded with updated ranches. However, the trend is to buy knew or fix up pre 60's homes.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:24 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Ranches do have their fan base. I'm not crazy about them myself, but I have a few friends that are. The two biggest positives seem to be that the rooms are generously proportioned and that your living space is all on one floor (save for the 'rumpus room' downstairs LOL).

Last edited by Iconographer; 03-07-2009 at 06:55 AM..

Old 03-07-2009, 07:07 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,734,700 times
Ranch homes SUCK!!!
They are for old folks in South Florida!!!

LOL... Just kidding of-course, however I don't think they are very popular in Atlanta. Maybe in San Diego or Orlando maybe, but not Atlanta. No idea why...

Old 03-07-2009, 08:12 PM

200 posts, read 983,137 times
I grew up in a Florida ranch home.

Many of the mid-century ranch homes are chock full of asbestos.

Some 50 years later, my mother died (in her ranch home) of mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining of the lung, caused by exposure to asbestos (it only takes a tiny fiber to start the disease).

When we moved to Atlanta, I insisted that we avoid all ranch homes, even though reasonably priced.

Global Nomad

Old 03-07-2009, 08:57 PM

7 posts, read 35,283 times
i guess no one is reading my initial post...i humbly said 1989 and later ranches..i have no interest in historical ranches,fixer-uppers or anything that is older than 20 yrs...reason being all the updates to building codes, wear and tear etc..

Old 03-07-2009, 09:12 PM

262 posts, read 637,267 times
I guess it's true that you don't see many newer ranches here. That's actually one thing I like about ATL. Where I am originally from in Florida almost every house you look at is a ranch. I think they are so ugly, especially the ones that are so wide. That being said I live in a 50s ranch myself. But I hope my next house is a little more stylish.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:23 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Perhaps I am the only one, but I do feel a little gobsmacked when I take the time to offer my opinion on a subject (especially the first one out to help a thread get a little airplay) and then have the OP come back and tell me that my experience and knowledge on the subject is wrong.

I recall posting that lot size is the primary reason for rarely seeing a ranch these days as square footage goes up instead or out, can pack in more house per development if they are two story in stead or one.

O well, will try and remember this name so I don't give a wrong opinion another time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: