Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 10:01 AM

22 posts, read 115,087 times

Advertisements

So my last thread was a dud .. I need more catchy titles maybe. Anyway, I have tried to get some advice on the Atlanta area, particular the Northside (Roswell, alpharetta, suwanee, woodstock) and I've gotten a lot of negatives about the area in general. Traffic is bad, I know. So many people have expressed that they would never go back to Atlanta, but never really gave a solid reason why, except for the traffic, which I don't really care to hear about anymore.
What I really want to know is what are the positives. Somebody convince me to move there. I'm an EM physician, my wife is an esthetician and a fitness instructor who teaches alot of Zumba. We were thinking aobut opening a Zumba studio in a couple of years. How is Lake Lanier? Golf? etc.
I'm not at all interested in living in Atlanta proper, but rather on the outskirts a bit. We would like a town with alot of its own amenities, but not too big on its own, but with a true town center thats active. Quick access to the lake would be nice too. Any ATL supporters out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 10:21 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
Default Atlanta is Great for Entrepreneurs

You're probably in a better position to move to Atlanta than many others, simply because you say you don't have to be in town for any reason. Outskirts are beautiful and there are lots of areas to explore. Not sure how far you want to go, but there are loads of new communities in Alpharetta and Cherokee County. Atlanta is extremely affordable relative to other big cities and there are plenty of choices in terms of negotiating a commercial lease for your wife's business. Northside Hospital has a branch up in Alpharetta (I think it's exit 10 off of 400). People who live and work in the same area have a much different view of this city than those who sit on the highway for 4 hours a day. Mountains and lakes are great. I recommend coming here for the weekend and checking out everything for yourself. I live in town and commute. Sure I have my complaints, but overall, it's a fantastic city with loads of opportunity. Sorry to sound ignorant, but I don't know what Zumba is. But I will say this...a little creative marketing and some local buzz and she'll fill her studio! Atlantans are always looking for unique forms of exercise!

Old 03-22-2007, 10:23 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
In my experience, most people who have said that they hate Atlanta have lived out in the burbs. One reason for this is that the outlying areas are rather impersonal and repetitive with everything oriented to the automobile.

However, there are many gems outside of Atlanta. If you want to live in a historic town center with access to a lake, a few areas of interest for you would be:
  • city of Canton
  • city of Woodstock
  • city of Suwanee
  • Berkley Lake
  • city of Marietta
  • city of Acworth
  • city of Mountain Park

Notice how I attached the words "city of" to each suggestion. This is due to the fact that many Metro Atlantans live in unincorporated areas, where typical suburban sprawl development is more likely. In the incorporated older city centers, you will find more historic town centers with a lot of character.

Also, one last note, Mountain Park is a very interesting community of less than 1,00 people. From what I understand, many people in the community enjoy outdoor recreation.

I've lived here for seven years and have enjoyed it. It's far from perfect, but a good climate, a great job market, friends, and the abundance of activities that cater to a younger demographic have made Atlanta home for me. Good luck!

Old 03-22-2007, 10:39 AM

South-to-west: I have looked into Woodstock and Suwanee but will add the others you mentioned to the list.

Sweattea1: Zumba is a form of aerobics based off of latin dance. It's relatively new but has taken off in Florida and Ohio. We are actually coming down for the PGA golf Tourney at TPC Sugarloaf in Duluth in May, so we will be able to do plenty of exploring then.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:41 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
Love it. Send your wife's press kit to Fox 5 and I can guarantee she'll get a segment out of it!

Old 03-22-2007, 10:48 AM

sweattea1: I will keep that in mind and let her know. They just finished taping an infomercial a couple of weeks ago. Not sure when its going to start airing but keep your eyes peeled, you'll see Zumba everywhere in due time.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:55 AM

34 posts, read 288,003 times
You know, I see a lot of negativity here too, but I'm starting to attribute it to the fact that the happy ones who already live here probably don't frequent this forum as much. Heck, they're probably too busy enjoying the town. YES, of course there are plusses and minuses to this city--as there is everywhere. I've lived here since 1980, and suffice it to say that that most everyone I know either loves the town, or at least puts up with the bad aspects because, overall, it's a great place to live.

Interesting fact: I've known several dozens of people over the last 27 years who have moved away. (Most went west.) The majority of them ended up moving back. This is not something I take lightly.

We all know the challenges here.
Here's why those who love it here love Atlanta:
1. Awesome transportation hub
2. Leafy green neighborhoods, many with spacious lots, even in town
3. Short drive to incredible mountains, beaches, rolling country & plains, rivers, even a little canyon near Alabama line. (Any wonder GA has the 3rd largest film industry in the nation?)
4. Jobs are plentiful for the motivated
5. Great shopping
6. Most musical & cultural exhibits tour through ATL
7. Incredible restaurants and ethnic eateries--a foodie's dream
8. Truly nice people, a little less guarded than in west or northeast.
9. A world class skyline (partly due to the GA Tech architectural school)
....and best of all.....
10. THE CLIMATE!!!!!! (I'm a transplanted New Yorker and never get over the early spring and extended falls here.)

To end, I do think what can color perceptions most is the people you end up meeting, the sense of community you have. While some of that is attributable to luck, you can control your experience somewhat with careful choice of neighborhood (ie, what floats your boat? For me, it's intown, but there's a spot for all)--and a positive, open, accepting attitude . Good luck in your decision, and REST ASSURED that many, if not most, like (or love) it here, and remain by choice.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:34 PM

131 posts, read 492,763 times
Interestingly I also found that the Atlanta forum is mostly negative as opposed to, for example, Denver's.

As someone who is regretting the move from Denver I found this a little disturbing.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:54 PM

254 posts, read 1,058,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaCruiser View Post
Interestingly I also found that the Atlanta forum is mostly negative as opposed to, for example, Denver's.

Try the Pittsburgh forum..its even worse! We almost moved there and I think I psyched myself out b/o the negativity!!

My husband is probably going to be transferred from the Charlotte area to the Atlanta area (hq is between sandy springs and roswell) and EVERYONE he has talked to that worked here first LOVES Atlanta and prefers it over to here in Lake Norman (outside of Charlotte)

Old 03-22-2007, 01:50 PM

131 posts, read 492,763 times
I check out a few of your posts on which you wrote negatives of your own area..(crowding & strip malls)...I doub't you will like Atlanta very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melkat View Post
Try the Pittsburgh forum..its even worse! We almost moved there and I think I psyched myself out b/o the negativity!!

My husband is probably going to be transferred from the Charlotte area to the Atlanta area (hq is between sandy springs and roswell) and EVERYONE he has talked to that worked here first LOVES Atlanta and prefers it over to here in Lake Norman (outside of Charlotte)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta