Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 12:10 AM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times

Advertisements

Delta Adds Direct Flight Between Atlanta and Brasilia, Brazil...

Delta adding route to Brasilia - Atlanta Business Chronicle:

-Such a smart move by Delta.
-Great thing for Atlanta.
-Great thing for Brasilia.
-Also, (not mentioned in article) good for Atlanta's large Brazilian community...most of whom are from the State of Goias and the city of Goiania (which are very close to Brasilia).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasilia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Federal_District

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goias

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goi%C3%A2nia

Last edited by aries4118; 03-10-2009 at 12:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 12:39 AM

722 posts, read 3,316,006 times
this is good for our city indeed. The availability of direct flight to various countries around the world will make Atlanta an even bigger draw for international companies and foreigh born people who want to be "closer to home" in a sense

Old 03-10-2009, 12:40 AM

722 posts, read 3,316,006 times
oh, and I didn't realize the metro had a large brazilian population

Old 03-10-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027 View Post
oh, and I didn't realize the metro had a large brazilian population
Yep...concentrated in lower East Cobb, Marietta, North Smyrna, parts of Kennesaw, Sandy Springs, and parts of Roswell.

These schools have sizeable Brazilian populations:

Wheeler High
East Cobb Middle
Sedalia Park Elementary
Brumby Elementary
Powers Ferry Elementary

...and more!

Old 03-10-2009, 12:59 AM

About Atlanta's and Georgia's Brazilian Community:

TheÂ*BrazilianÂ*CommunityÂ*inÂ*theÂ*StateÂ*o fÂ*Georgia Â*

The Brazilian Consulate in Atlanta:

Atlanta — Portal Consular

Old 03-10-2009, 06:58 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,991 times
....and many are now moving back with the construction jobs in the tank. Apparently they're very good on the masonary work. My step-dad's brick guys are on their way back.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
....and many are now moving back with the construction jobs in the tank. Apparently they're very good on the masonary work. My step-dad's brick guys are on their way back.
So true...and making money in the U.S. compared to Brazil is not nearly as good as it use to be. And Brazil's economy is holding steady...

Old 03-10-2009, 08:02 AM

826 posts, read 3,120,715 times
I love Brazi, but hate that we have to get Visas. I am so happy with Delta adding these flights.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:13 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,333 times
If you get a 5-Year visitor Visa (Which I applied for and received) it's not a problem you just have to tell the Consulate you plan on visiting often (Past the 90 Day standard Visa) and it cost $130 which is the same it cost me for the 5 Year Visa. The only reason we have to get Visa' is because we started requiring Brazilian citizens to obtain them after many of them were overstaying their visitors Visas. So the Brazilian Government made it a reciprocal policy to reflect the US Government policy. I felt bad for my friend who applied at the same time as me and received the 90 Day Visa so he had to apply again and he has the 5 Year Visa now so he was out an extra $130!

I probably won't be flying to Brasilia but I see the importance in adding the flight. Delta needs to do a better job of marketing the current new flights (In those cities) they just added to Fortaleza, Recife and Manuas in Brazil because those flights aren't that full. I didn't see any ads in those cities (I was there for Carnival and fly quite often to Brazil) so hopefully the flights are profitable. I know they do alot of Cargo from Brazil as well. The flights to and from Rio/Sao Paulo have solid-loads but I just hope these other flights can stay on the schedule for the long-term as they are a great benifit for the residents of Brazil.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 03-10-2009 at 08:50 AM..

Old 03-10-2009, 08:33 AM

655 posts, read 1,060,441 times
VFR (Visting Friends/Relatives) traffic isn't what is driving this flight. The O&D numbers from Atlanta to Brasilla are next to nil I am sure. Delta has the largest connecting hub in the world and is relying on that to make this flight work. I am unsure of how successful Delta will be given their recent struggles into secondary Brazilian markets (which are better served by AA from Miami and TAM from Brazil due to stronger o&D). Brazil is a restricted air market and Delta applied for an exemption with the DOT to switch capcity from Atlanta - Mananus and Atlanta - Recife - Fortaleza which are struggling mightily for Delta. The exemption was granted so now Delta is going to try their hand at Brasilia (since they don't want to give up precious Brazilian frequences). Once AA or TAM enters the market Delta might end up retrenching. Atlanta does benefit from yet another nonstop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta