Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 09:42 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,847,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
If Dr. King was alive today, what do you think he would be most proud of about Atlanta?

Additionally, what do you think he would be most disappointed by?
Pride: How much his hometown has grown and how diverse and tolerant it has become (since his lifetime).

Disappointment: Perhaps the exploitation of black people (often by blacks) in popular culture and the number of broken and fatherless homes in the black community.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:54 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
i think dr. king would be proudest that black and white people go to all the same places, greet each other and become acquainted without thinking about race.

what he would be most disappointed in, i think, is the fact that in many neighbourhoods in atlanta, they're either all white or all black, for whatever the reason. that needs to change. i also don't think he would like the 'gangsta' culture.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:02 AM

222 posts, read 752,386 times
Thumbs down Most Disappointed In?

Gang violence, drive-by shootings, car jackings, smash & grabs, home invasions, 70% babies born out of wedlock, rap music, racial quotas, and the Martin Luther Ka!Ching money making machine itself, thanks to his family members. Blah, blah, blah...

Old 01-14-2012, 04:46 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Martin Luther King, Economic Equality And The 2012 Election | Newgeography.com

Old 01-14-2012, 06:31 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,847,018 times
Good article... very interesting.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:29 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,894,600 times
Not sure about the good. I would like to say business growth and opportunity.

The sad fact is that unity amongst african americans are not present. willie lynch/ willie lynch grandson's- mentality is still active and brainwashing is still in effect, He would be sad about the lack of pride and legacy lost amongst our youth which starts with parents who don't parent, teach, or set any example of progress of expectation of success from their children.
MLK was about each person being an individual and opening up to other people (races/culture) and not being "closed minded" to those who are different from you and that's not present. In Dr. King's day he knew who he was and I think to see a.a. walking around today he would be ashamed that we continue to try and buy who we are (cars, clothing, jewelry) to the detrement of 401k's, investments, and having a savings for the future. We are not teaching our children the struggle, not raising our children in households where marriage is valued, and consequently you see a lost generation. Pants hanging down their thighs with belts on - half of their boxers exposed walking around without purpose. Women who dress like prostitutes showing no dignity and class for themselves because they think nothing of themselves.
Those who are aware of the meaning, struggle of life, and have the good intensions to help anyone with tips/advice to achieve their goals are unable to relate to the people who are similar in color. It's like the talented 10 get it and 90% are clueless.

What would Dr. King think - I don't believe he could tell you himself if he was alive because he would be in shock, standing outside his door in disbelief of the lack of progress and polarization. Remember Dr. King stood for equality amongst all men and not just a.a. people.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:05 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
I think MLK would be blown away by the fact that we have a black man as President of the United States.

I think he would horrified and angered by fools running around using the N word.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:26 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times

interesting article but it was more about today than MLK. i do agree that environmental regulations are important, but during an economic downturn? that's economic suicide. ditto with tax increases and budget cuts, believe it or not. desperate times call for desperate measures— and the out-of-touch political parties don't realize this. increasing spending to spur economic growth, tax cuts for jobmakers, reduced regulation— i know it sounds like a "mixed agenda" compared to what most people are spouting but these are the things proven to jumpstart a stagnant economy.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:49 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
... tax cuts for jobmakers... these are the things proven to jumpstart a stagnant economy.
You have to wonder who these jobmakers are. If they are the same people who have been enjoying the lowest taxes since WWII for the last ten years, then where are the jobs?

I'm not asking you in particular, just raising the question.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:14 AM

222 posts, read 752,386 times
Default I Didn't Judge On Color

The content of character seems to be really lackling...

Crime Stoppers Atlanta: Most Wanted in Metro Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta