Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:48 PM

859 posts, read 2,120,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
the fact that i am at work and everyone else is off

A lot of businesses in the south still do not consider it a holiday. My company is not even acknowledging it.
That's what still gets me, I talk to friends that work for private companies and every single one of them are at work. Yet all of them are off on Memorial Day, Labor Day etc. It's really sad...

Old 01-17-2011, 01:47 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
Pretty interesting though that MLK day will be the 1st day that folks will jump to to make up a snow day for the schools. Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
That's what still gets me, I talk to friends that work for private companies and every single one of them are at work. Yet all of them are off on Memorial Day, Labor Day etc. It's really sad...

Old 01-17-2011, 02:35 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,591,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post

If Dr. King was alive today, what do you think he would be most proud of about Atlanta?

Additionally, what do you think he would be most disappointed by?

I think Dr. King would have immense pleasure and pride knowing that Atlanta has become a great city. A city that provides African-Americans far more chances for advancement.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:23 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,359 times
It would be very interesting if MLK could have seen what the future was about 40-50 years after 1965. Dr. King made some far-ff predictions for black Americans that came to be true a few decades after his death, I do not recall them now, but he was definitely forward-thinking in his writing and speeches. I think his own opinion would be a good mix of some things to be proud of and some things not (so many what ifs with history anyway). Watching interviews of MLK on YouTube is very interesting, I recommend some of us out there take time to do that, very eloquent individual. He seemed much older than he was, too. MLK never made it to 40.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:13 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
I think he would be very happy to know that we have the first bi racial president. over all we have made so many advances.

I think he would be very disapointed in the family structure falling apart. he would also be disapointed in the hatred coming from the many right winged conservatives that have spurred death threats and the recent shooting in arizona.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:30 AM

166 posts, read 375,291 times
He'd be proud of the opportunities for blacks today. Come a long way in just the last 50 years.

He'd be ashamed at the political divisiveness in our culture. Just look one comment above this one. Dr. King would bow & shake his head at that.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:26 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,100,546 times
He'd be most proud at the progress that has been made regarding equal rights for everybody.

As for his disappointments? All I can say is watch the Boondocks cartoon episode where MLK Jr. is brought back to life and listen to the speech he gives at the party. It couldn't be summed up any better than that.

Youtube Search "Boondocks - Martin Luther King Speech"

Old 01-19-2011, 07:36 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I think he would be very happy to know that we have the first bi racial president. over all we have made so many advances.

I think he would be very disapointed in the family structure falling apart. he would also be disapointed in the hatred coming from the many right winged conservatives that have spurred death threats and the recent shooting in arizona.
IDOTIC POST OF THE DAY! Care to provide ONE fact to back up that absurb statement??

Old 01-19-2011, 09:57 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
IDOTIC POST OF THE DAY! Care to provide ONE fact to back up that absurb statement??
It is neither idiotic nor absurd, merely the poster's observations and conclusions. While the conclusion cannot be 100% supported by fact, it can be supported by inference. Both sides of the aisle, are guilty of inflaming intolerance through their communication style (your communication style is a case in point). Intolerance leads to rash actions. We should all take heed and temper our words, as we temper our actions. A more civil society is likely to be a better society.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:49 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
It is neither idiotic nor absurd, merely the poster's observations and conclusions. While the conclusion cannot be 100% supported by fact, it can be supported by inference. Both sides of the aisle, are guilty of inflaming intolerance through their communication style (your communication style is a case in point). Intolerance leads to rash actions. We should all take heed and temper our words, as we temper our actions. A more civil society is likely to be a better society.
Yet accusing someone of inciting the murder of innocents when not ONE shread of proof is there is somehow supported by inference. NOT one Conservative blamed for this trajedy has said ANYTHING even close to being hate filled or inflaming violent tendancies. If they did it would be plastered all over every newpaper and search engine in this country. To date not ONE liberal has been able to dig up anything on any of the Conservatives that were accused of inciting this trajedy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta