U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:14 PM

146 posts, read 374,355 times

Advertisements

Im sorry if some of you are upset at me for criticizing your city. I wasnt being facetious or cynical, I just wanted to let you know how I felt. But thats besides the point. Whats important is what I thought about it before and after I left....

Now, I had left and returned about a week later. Although I only stayed 1 day the 2nd time around, I can say this...Atlanta has a vibe different from most other cities I've been to in the southern corridor. I noticed how 'non-whites' are treated (atleast in the stores, resturaunts/hotels etc.) There's more normalicy when it comes down to that. There isnt this whole 'alienation' feel as in other southern cities. However I wont jump to conclusions and say all Atlantans are nice, friendly people because they arent...and here's why.

Driving: Im sorry but there wasnt a single person who would let me pass. Each time I risked getting rear-ended because I had to literally force my way into the next lane...Was it because I had a florida tag? We're supposed to be neighbors right? I guess not. Sorry if I cut you off but you didnt seem to want to let me pass in the 1st place!

Otherwise, Atlanta is NOT on my list of chosen cities. I visited again due to work matters but otherwise I dont see returning there again unless I magically win a house in the mountains. I love you all's hills and stuff its so pretty lol. I just have to learn how to change gears when driving them otherwise its fun.

And one more thing, Once I got 20 miles outside Atlanta I couldnt understand a word people said! The accents are hilarious. Backwoods country talk lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 10:45 PM

706 posts, read 3,525,861 times
My brother recently moved to Dekalb County this summer.
My neices cried cause they didn't want to go, but now they love it!

Of course, they have a larger home and yard.

They like the weather, the schools and extracurricular school activities, their neighbors and friends.

They said their friends and neighbors are from Queens, Brooklyn, New Jersey, Connecticut....

activities, their eh.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:46 PM

880 posts, read 2,609,553 times
Atlanta does have some VERY aggressive drivers. I always dread having to drive there! Sometimes you just have to force your way through I suppose.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:21 AM

1,352 posts, read 3,991,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWire View Post
Im sorry if some of you are upset at me for criticizing your city. I wasnt being facetious or cynical, I just wanted to let you know how I felt. But thats besides the point. Whats important is what I thought about it before and after I left....

Now, I had left and returned about a week later. Although I only stayed 1 day the 2nd time around, I can say this...Atlanta has a vibe different from most other cities I've been to in the southern corridor. I noticed how 'non-whites' are treated (atleast in the stores, resturaunts/hotels etc.) There's more normalicy when it comes down to that. There isnt this whole 'alienation' feel as in other southern cities. However I wont jump to conclusions and say all Atlantans are nice, friendly people because they arent...and here's why.

Driving: Im sorry but there wasnt a single person who would let me pass. Each time I risked getting rear-ended because I had to literally force my way into the next lane...Was it because I had a florida tag? We're supposed to be neighbors right? I guess not. Sorry if I cut you off but you didnt seem to want to let me pass in the 1st place!

Otherwise, Atlanta is NOT on my list of chosen cities. I visited again due to work matters but otherwise I dont see returning there again unless I magically win a house in the mountains. I love you all's hills and stuff its so pretty lol. I just have to learn how to change gears when driving them otherwise its fun.

And one more thing, Once I got 20 miles outside Atlanta I couldnt understand a word people said! The accents are hilarious. Backwoods country talk lol.
Some of this needs massive clarification.

What do you mean let you pass? You mean merge?!

No, you dont flick the blinker on and wait. What is that nonsense.. you should know better. Here you ensure it's safe to move, flick the blinker (or not) and MERGE. blinker doesnt mean permission. it means "i AM going there". When i see people sitting there with the blinker on I ignore them. When I see them not taking advantage of an opening given to them expecting a 50 car lenght window, I just carry on and leave them to wait. Its so simple and effective of a way to operate in traffic I am not sure why some people have an issue with it. I know florida drivers too well... i lived there half the time few years ago so I can tell you the problem is you. And yes, people see your tag and freak out. FL tags generally mean

1. left lane hogger
2. doesn't know where they are going
3. 10 under on a 2 lane road
4. random stops in the middle of the interstate
5. HOV lane isn't actually the pedestrian lane, contrary to ou tof state belief.

So yes, people tend to want to speed up past you so they don't get caught behind you.

Funny accents? Right... not like central/inland and northern florida is crop de creme. Please I can walk 5 minutes out of miami beach and swear I am in waycross GA.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:57 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,664,685 times
^Right on!

I see a Florida tag (and I lived there for half my life), and I give them a VERY wide berth.

Driving here is no different than any other major metro - except our freeways tend to be more modern.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:27 AM

4 posts, read 8,630 times
Default Ha!

Quote:

I nearly died laughing on this.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:33 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,019,139 times
Quote:

1. that is any big city

2. lol. so true

Old 03-17-2009, 03:40 AM

360 posts, read 898,448 times
I am curious. What part of Florida produced such an eloquent writer as yourself?

Old 03-17-2009, 05:53 AM

165 posts, read 503,638 times
If you forced yourself into a lane then you're driving as in any major city. Most people here will find it amazing that you tried to use your blinker for 'permission' to merge. Dont leave your blinker on for an extended amount of time and wait for permission; it's only necessary for a 2 second period of time followed by a sudden jerk of the wheel.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:33 AM

239 posts, read 842,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crux View Post
Dont leave your blinker on for an extended amount of time and wait for permission; it's only necessary for a 2 second period of time followed by a sudden jerk of the wheel.
funny, but so true! I was just talking about this the other day. Ready or not here I come!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or