Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 05:53 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
One of the pitfalls of not having any geographical boundaries, is that the city can spread and spread.
Very good point. That brings up an off the topic question from me. I guess maybe I'll start another thread...

Question is: Is it possible to create boundaries to encourage development within the boundaries? To create an urban core center bound by boundaries (obviously not geographical), and still have Atlanta not lose it's suburban identity...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 08:10 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Ethnic neighborhoods in the U.S. just don't serve a big purpose anymore like they once did. It's not as scary or difficult to acclimate like it was 100 years ago - but ethnic groups still cluster together like along the Buford Highway corridor for obvious reasons...language, food, shopping, and other cultural comforts.

When some of the other cities you mentioned began developing ethnic neighborhoods, downtown/in-town/urban section of the city weren't so expensive like they are currently. These neighborhoods emerge gradually, and usually due to lower housing costs. So, unfortunately, Doraville and beyond was in decline a few years back and that was one section of town that was affordable. The Asians and other groups that came to the city really helped revive those area...

Old 03-18-2009, 08:17 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Also...the decorative "gates" that you see in some cities when entering Chinatown or whatever - I believe most of those were given as a gift to those cities from an Asian country or city. I'm sure Atlanta could go advertise itself around Asia and come up with something similar - Atlanta is good at promoting itself.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:23 AM

129 posts, read 389,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
I'd like to see more moving inside the perimeter as well since the "City of Atlanta" is still mostly a black & white city and the metro area outside of the city of atlanta "housing" most of the diverse families outside of the city. It would definately give the city a different feel than what it currently has. Imagine if some Chinese, Korean, Indian, Hispanic families started to gentrify different areas along with Black and White?

Good point.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:50 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Also...the decorative "gates" that you see in some cities when entering Chinatown or whatever - I believe most of those were given as a gift to those cities from an Asian country or city. I'm sure Atlanta could go advertise itself around Asia and come up with something similar - Atlanta is good at promoting itself.
Oh... Didn't know that. Well, Atlanta has many sister cities.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:43 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027 View Post
nice to hear a houston poster say that. I have a friend who tries to make everyone believe that Houston is the most wonderful and most diverse city on the planet. I'm sure its nice but not that nice
Well don't get me wrong, Houston is a very diverse city and ranks very high, but I wouldn't say it is the most diverse city in the world.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:53 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times
One reason you don't see many ethnic neighborhoods in Atlanta is because it's only really been about the last 30 some years that different ethnic groups have moved in large number to the area. Before then the Atlanta area and the rest of Georgia was mostly black and white. By the time these different cultures started showing up to Atlanta we had reached a period of time where ethnic groups for the most part didn't feel the need to group together in one community as much as they did before thus most of them spread out through out the suburbs same as white and black newcomers.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:18 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Atlanta has a bigger Korean population, the biggest in the south actually.
Maybe in the South but it is not bigger than the Washington, DC area Korean community, which is actually the biggest on the eastern seaboard.
The Atlanta Korean Community is however the fastest growing in the nation currently.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:42 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
Maybe in the South but it is not bigger than the Washington, DC area Korean community, which is actually the biggest on the eastern seaboard.
The Atlanta Korean Community is however the fastest growing in the nation currently.
I guess you missed the point when I said the south.....

Old 03-20-2009, 12:20 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I guess you missed the point when I said the south.....

I think he did I guess he thought you was saying in the USA since he had to throw DC in there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta