U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 12:44 AM

3 posts, read 10,355 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I need to find good tenants for the house in Acworth. Does anyone know if it is easy or hard to find good tenants nowadays? I posted an ad in Craiglist without the picture of the house and only received three reply.

Any answers will be truely appreciated.

Marsha
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 09:28 AM

2,685 posts, read 5,420,594 times
I think the current environment is tough for landlords because of job lost and people looking to spend less combined with more rentals from accidental landlords because they can't sell.

But how long have you advertised on Craigslist. Why are you not including pictures. Are you using other methods of Advertising. Are you charging market rent? Price matters, especially today.

I'd say 3 replies without posting pictures is a good start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syschroeder View Post
Hi,

I need to find good tenants for the house in Acworth. Does anyone know if it is easy or hard to find good tenants nowadays? I posted an ad in Craiglist without the picture of the house and only received three reply.

Any answers will be truely appreciated.

Marsha

Old 04-03-2009, 06:55 AM

3 posts, read 10,355 times
Default Thank you.

Thanks for the reply. I think I am going to lower the price.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:50 AM

66 posts, read 249,279 times
I think you need to post photos. People want to see the state of the property before replying to an ad. With craigslist, this is very easy to do!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:59 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,836,835 times
I personally wouldn't consider renting a house without pics. Though, even with pics, some people try to rent houses in horrible condition. As a possible renter, that would be my concern. Also, as has been stated, some people are concerned about accidental landlords. Good luck.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:03 AM

9,188 posts, read 31,282,822 times
As everyone said, you need photos. If I'm looking at homes (for sale) or items for sale, I'd never even reply to the ad myself if there were no photos of the home/item. If I were looking for a rental place, likewise, I probably would just skip by the ad if it didn't indicate there were photos of it - with no photos, I feel like the person is trying to hide something or doesn't want me to see something off the bat, etc.

But to directly answer your question, yes, it IS harder today to find good tenants. I've lived in Atlanta since 1984, and have known a good number of people who had places they leased in that time. Back in the 80s and early 90s, many of them found good people to rent their places, but after that things seemed to slide down quite a bit. As of late, it seems that 9 out of 10 people who answer rental ads are illegal immigrants, section 8, or people who want to secretly raise Pit Bulls in the basement. As a result, most folks I know now don't bother with renting their properties anymore. They just sell them, even if it means taking a hit with the sell price.

Keep trying for a while to see, though. If your area is desirable enough and you have those pics, you might luck out and find some nice folks. Don't lower the price too much as you indicated. You want to compare to other local rentals, but you have to factor in the cost of cleaning/repainting/maintenance when they move out as WELL as paying the mortage.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:16 PM

8 posts, read 20,726 times
I'd be interested in seeing the pictures of the house- We will be moving to that area in June, and will be looking for something suitable.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:29 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,908,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
I personally wouldn't consider renting a house without pics. .

Me neither. I never bother with anything on Craigslist if there isn't a picture.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:45 PM

635 posts, read 1,572,824 times
We've done the no picture route and only once did it turn out to be a total gem! Other than that, it was usually worse than what we feared. The last no-picture one we looked at, the owner was in the middle of renovation. The outside of the house was very, very nice and neat. But inside, apparently his contractor quit (aka he ran out of money) so he enlisted the help of his son, who was less than eager to help out. We walk in to look at the house and the livingroom is simply delish! You just wanna move all your stuff in and start watching the tube and eating snacks. Then, we migrate to all the other rooms -- all the cabinets in the kitchen are torn out and lying in the floor, tile has been pulled up and we are looking at cement, drywall missing, doors hanging off hinges. He begins telling us the 'story' and man, I think my energy just slid out my body, to the end of my foot, crawled to the door and left. It was a draining experience. We thanked him and left. I felt sorry for the guy, but no way were we going to rent that place only to have to hear the 'story' everytime something needed to be fixed. (DH just gave him the 'eye' because he was thinking, we were getting the story because the guy has to recoup his money somehow on top of the rent, and we weren't going to be the source.)

Short story long Give a good outside pic, a kitchen pic, a bedroom pic and a bathroom pic.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:56 PM

135 posts, read 496,534 times
People have said they skip through postings without pictures... I go a step further and make use of the "has image" search function. I think 3 responses is very good for not having a picture...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: