Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 08:23 AM

3 posts, read 4,577 times

Advertisements

Even though you said being around other people from the Islands in not a priority, Stone Mountain is still a good area. Not as expensive as living in side the perimeter. It is also kinda diverse, as you had more out to Stonecrest Mall. But for Gwinnett, I say Norcross is a good area....Doraville not so much ( I used to live there...). A bit of a travel if you are trying to go to GSU. I think its best just to stay in Midtown if funds permit.

I'm a female from the Bronx, mixed Trini/Antiguan, and I live in Stone Mountain. I find it to be ok, most of the time I'd rather be in Buckhead/Midtown or Duluth, but thats just me.^^ Good luck with your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 10:30 AM

7 posts, read 37,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymack24 View Post
About Me:
I'm a 27 year old black female of Jamaican descent. I graduate college in August with a BBA in Accounting and am relocating to ATL no later than June 2010. I've been researching on places in ATL to relocate to and my choices are:

1. Camp Creek
2. Cascade - I heard that cascade was boring and has no shopping center.

I'm looking for living arrangements that are similar to my current environment but would also love to have a little more diversity.

Current Living Environment:
Though I've been told that these areas are in the SWAT area of ATL and have been warned that that area is a little grimmy. I know I know I live in the Bronx, however I currently reside in a decent residential area predominately black and hispanic but working middle class people who take pride in there property and family. My neigborhood is very clean for NYC (put it like this my current neigborhood doesn't have street cleaning or alternate parking which is a big deal in NYC). Back to the topic at hand I really like the properties that I've seen via the web in Camp Creek and am ready to take the plunge.

Anywhere but NYC:
I have no immediate family and want to go to GSU for my MBA. This isn't an issue for me being that I've left NYC twice to live elsewhere in Philly and Ft. Lauderdale. I hated Philly because it seemed as if I never left NYC and it's full of crack heads. I loved Ft. Lauderdale but the job market back then was bad and even worst now. I want to live in a metro/city atmosphere without feeling cramped hence the reason for my prior two moves.

I'm basically sick of NYC I was born and raised here, I'm tired of paying taxes to drive in potholes, I'm tired of paying over a grand in rent to live in a shoebox, soon they'll be taxing on beverages (I'm serious they're going to start taxing bevrages). I want to get the hell out of dodge before they start taxing air.

NYC vs. ATL:
People ask me constantly what's in ATL and my reply is what's in NYC? I pretty much will be making the same accounting salary in ATL as in NYC but I'll be able to carry it a lot further and won't be living in a matchbox.

Please advise as to the pros and cons of the Camp Creek area. The facts that I currently know of are:

1. Predominately black- which isn't a problem to me so long as it's not a bang bang shoot em up area. I do prefer a diverse area but am all for living amongst civilized black folks like myself.

2. Shopping areas are good and becoming more developed, as well as there is entertainment and restaurants.

3. School system is ok or avergae at best- this is ok because I'm single and don't have children.

4. Location is 10-15 mins from airport - This is great as I love to travel and currently work in aviation. More than likely I'll try to seek employment at the corporate offices of Delta within finance or accounting.

5. Location is 20-45 minutes from downtown ATL - which basically the same time it takes to get to work on the subway here in NYC so not really a problem.

6. Location is 20mins from Georgia State University.

7. There's are a plethora of beautiful single family homes in the area - I'll most definately be living like a queen.

With all these already known fact I won't be missing anything in NYC except for my family.

Please provide me with more information on these locations.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Grindin did an excellent job of explaining different areas to you.

In my opinion Camp Creek is overrated because all it is a a suburban shopping complex inside of city limits. Anyone from the suburbs (of any city) is use to areas like Camp Creek, except in the suburbs there are several shoping centers down the street from each other not just one main complex surrounded by trees.

The Camp Creek area as a whole is very rural once you leave the shopping center area. Trees, bushes, deer, and houses - that's it! South Fulton is very country (not the people, but the surroundings). Everyone kept saying that South Fulton is coming up and it's one of the best places to invest. I'm so mad at myself for buying a house in South Fulton (I live 10 minutes from Camp Creek). Dekalb County is built up more.

Coming from New York you might find the Camp Creek area a little hard to get use to because of the rural vibe once you leave the main shopping area. A better choice for predominately black areas that are close to shopping, dining, bars, etc. would be areas in South Dekalb (Decatur, Lithonia, Stone Mountain).

Gwinnet County is very diverse and an excellent choice if it was close enough to the city.

For a more diverse area that is clean and close to shopping, dining, and other entertainment check out Brookhaven (30319 area code). Brookhaven is close enough to everything you mentioned except the airport.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:57 AM

722 posts, read 3,315,341 times
I happen to love the Camp Creek area. I think the hilly, rural feel is part of its charm. I doubt it will be rural for long, it is up and coming

Old 03-21-2009, 03:46 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiQueen View Post
Grindin did an excellent job of explaining different areas to you.

In my opinion Camp Creek is overrated because all it is a a suburban shopping complex inside of city limits. Anyone from the suburbs (of any city) is use to areas like Camp Creek, except in the suburbs there are several shoping centers down the street from each other not just one main complex surrounded by trees.

The Camp Creek area as a whole is very rural once you leave the shopping center area. Trees, bushes, deer, and houses - that's it! South Fulton is very country (not the people, but the surroundings). Everyone kept saying that South Fulton is coming up and it's one of the best places to invest. I'm so mad at myself for buying a house in South Fulton (I live 10 minutes from Camp Creek). Dekalb County is built up more.

Coming from New York you might find the Camp Creek area a little hard to get use to because of the rural vibe once you leave the main shopping area. A better choice for predominately black areas that are close to shopping, dining, bars, etc. would be areas in South Dekalb (Decatur, Lithonia, Stone Mountain).
It may be rural leaving Camp Creek if you're going outside of the Perimeter, but coming back across the 285 bridge you head straight into College Park on Camp Creek Pkwy, or East Point if you make a left on Washington Rd. Those areas are far from rural and are a mix of nice and not-so-nice sections.

So it's only rural around one side of Camp Creek Marketplace - and that's if you head out into the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta