Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 06:41 PM

22 posts, read 84,083 times

Advertisements

I have no more cable channels since 12/1/2009 NO!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 09:05 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swp4lfe View Post
Dod you have Comcast? Do you have an analog TV and did you ignore all the notices about the move to all digital and the free DTAs and converter boxes? Is there a "night light" message scrolling across the channels telling you to call an 800 number?

Old 12-07-2009, 07:08 PM

750 posts, read 2,276,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swp4lfe View Post
Mine are supposed to go out in January. Just call comcast and they should send you some free convertor boxes. Just make sure though that you check what you get. I got mine about 2 months ago and they sent me a HD DVR also, which I didn't ask for or need. I didn't open the shipping box they sent me when they dropped it off and on the next months bill I had an extra $15 charge for the HD DVR box that I didn't know I had. Anyway it took me 2 months to get them to take the charges off.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:20 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
Can anyone advise what the messages scrolling across many channels on comcast saying that in March 2010 you will not be able to watch the channel without a box means. Does this mean even if you have a new HDTV that you won't be able to view the channel unless you have a comcast box. Sounds like it may be time to completely fire them.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:35 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
That's funny because they are doing nothing but taking away my channels. No Cartoon Network, No History channel... Freakin' Corporate goons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
I just received a letter in the mail today from Comcast. They are getting rid of all their analog channels above 26 so that they can reuse the bandwidth to create more digital channels. Channels 2-26 will remain as is, but everything above that (CNN, Fox News, TNT, Discovery, TLC, SciFi, Sports channels, etc.) will all be digital-only.

If you still have analog TVs (or an analog TiVo like I do) using Comcast cable service, don't expect them to continue to work for too much longer. You will need either a converter box (and Comcast claims they are giving away 2 boxes per household) or a digital-capable TV.

I find this mildly annoying. I thought I was going to be able to continue to coast through the "digital transition" without being seriously affected. Oh well. I guess I will have to go buy a new TiVo box now.

Bill

Old 02-26-2010, 09:07 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
That's funny because they are doing nothing but taking away my channels. No Cartoon Network, No History channel... Freakin' Corporate goons!
If you order a DTA from them for free, you will be able to receive digital versions of the channels that were delivered via analog, plus some additional channels not previously available in basic tiers.

Comcast has been sending letters and e-mails for months announcing these changes. If you follow the directions, you'll have all the channels you mention. Technology marches on, and analog tranmission is dead. Comcast has done an excellent job providing people with analog sets with a means for not being affected by the changes, provided they pay attention and order the converter.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:51 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Can anyone advise what the messages scrolling across many channels on comcast saying that in March 2010 you will not be able to watch the channel without a box means. Does this mean even if you have a new HDTV that you won't be able to view the channel unless you have a comcast box. Sounds like it may be time to completely fire them.
We went through this in southern Smyrna and Mableton this past fall.

You can obtain something called a digital adapter which will act as a digital tuner and translator, and use it to provide the channels to your analog TV, or to unscramble channels if some of them are scrambled. I think they will provide 2 or 3 of them for free.

You can still use the QAM tuner in your newer TV to pick off most of the digital channels, but I don't know the real impact this has on that since we decided to pick up both a Digital Adapter (for the ReplayTV) and a Comcast DVR for HD recordings and such. I know ours still seems to be able to, though, but we don't use its tuner anymore.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:30 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
But what if the T.V is digital? I bought a Flatscreen LG in May of 2009 with the thought process that I would still get to keep my channels.

So I need a Comcast Digital tuner from them seperate from the one that's already built into my T.V.? Why is it that all of the other cable channels like A&E, Discovery, Versus, SciFi & Nick still showing crystal clear?

That's the part I don't understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
If you order a DTA from them for free, you will be able to receive digital versions of the channels that were delivered via analog, plus some additional channels not previously available in basic tiers.

Comcast has been sending letters and e-mails for months announcing these changes. If you follow the directions, you'll have all the channels you mention. Technology marches on, and analog tranmission is dead. Comcast has done an excellent job providing people with analog sets with a means for not being affected by the changes, provided they pay attention and order the converter.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:56 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
I am in the same shoes as you (have an HDTV and now being told I need the stupid box). Tomorrow is March and according to Comcast March it won't work so we will see. I'm hoping nothing changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
But what if the T.V is digital? I bought a Flatscreen LG in May of 2009 with the thought process that I would still get to keep my channels.

So I need a Comcast Digital tuner from them seperate from the one that's already built into my T.V.? Why is it that all of the other cable channels like A&E, Discovery, Versus, SciFi & Nick still showing crystal clear?

That's the part I don't understand.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:13 PM

750 posts, read 2,276,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
I am in the same shoes as you (have an HDTV and now being told I need the stupid box). Tomorrow is March and according to Comcast March it won't work so we will see. I'm hoping nothing changes.

Do you have any kind of box now? DVR, HD box or both? If so your tv will be fine it's just the tv's that don't have a box that you'll have issues with. I don't know why it is or has to be this way it's comcast's digital upgrade. I like rcsteiner had to do it in Mableton and it took me all of 10 mins and I actually get better reception (some channels weren't coming in so good on my analog tv, like Spike) and I now am getting other channels that I couldn't see before like G4tv and about 10 other channels that I didn't know existed. Their free you just have to call them up and get them to send you the equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta