Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,978 times

Advertisements

Hello! I keep seeing all this hub-bub about the City of Atlanta losing blacks. One example is the other topic that asks what city will replace Atl as the black mecca. It is even mentioned on the wikipedia page for Atlanta.

Just wondering though, whats the big deal?! Im black, but im NOT race-obsessed like some older black people are. Me and my friends thinks its old-fashioned to be obsessed with blackness, we figure we are just Americans. So we could care less if black people are moving out of Atlanta.

But obviously, a lot of people DO care!

But WHY is it even an issue?

Would Atlanta really change if the black percentage drops below 50%? And if you peole DO think it will change, how?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 04:02 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissAnalog View Post
But WHY is it even an issue?
To me, this is a very good question. Some folks just seem fixated on race, it seems.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:14 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Too often people confuse "race" and "socio-economic class", so most questions and answers regarding "race" aren't actually racially driven. For example, the answer to "what will happen if Atlanta continues to lose poor blacks?" is different than "what will happen if Atlanta continues to lose wealthy blacks?". The same could be said for "what will happen if Atlanta continues to lose poor whites?" or "what will happen if Atlanta continues to lose wealthy whites?".

Personally, I think regardless of race, what will happen if Atlanta's population continues to grow is that poor and middle class people (white, black, purple, green- whatever) will be forced out as prices climb- they won't be able to afford to live in the city as it gentrifies.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:25 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
I think the obvious change would be political power. It may be a goal (at least for me) for blacks and whites to be on the same page (do we turn to their page or do they turn to ours), but the reality is, in regards to many things, that we are not. It’s really not the color of the person who is leading, that shapes the agenda and policy, but rather, the color of the majority voting bloc in which they represent.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:15 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
Political power is meaningless if the economic power to go along with it is non-existent. Too many of my fellow black Atlantans expect WAAAY too much of a mayor and the city council, especially in light of the 2008 layoffs and furloughs of many black blue-collar workers in Corrections, Parking enforcement, Fire & Rescue, and other departments.

I'm just disappointed that so many in this year 2009 haven't yet reached the epiphany that politics is not an end-all be-all of African American existence. It's time to look back to the principles of Booker T. Washington and learn how to create opportunites rather than wait for opportunities.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:52 PM

178 posts, read 618,149 times
I thought the blacks were moving to Atlanta. I went to a half white and half black school. And now I'm going to school in midtown and I'm the only white kid in the class. I don't think it's losing any blacks.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:11 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
I thought the blacks were moving to Atlanta. I went to a half white and half black school. And now I'm going to school in midtown and I'm the only white kid in the class. I don't think it's losing any blacks.

The population of Atlanta has more than doubled in the past 20 years...and that's new residents of all races. White people, black people, asian people, etc. have all been flocking to Atlanta.

The percentage of white residents in the city of Atlanta increased from 31% in 2000 to 35% in 2006 - a numeric increase of 26,000. New black residents have been locating in the suburbs more often, and black residents of the city have been increasingly making the choice to move outside of the city limits. It's been an obvious trend with white metro residents to move into the city...that's what is causing the white increase/black decrease. It's really just a shift in the choices people are making about where to live - nothing else.

This is a decent article titled "Atlanta and the Urban Future" from July 2008...
Governing: Atlanta/July 2008

Old 03-18-2009, 09:23 PM

706 posts, read 3,763,931 times
Me and my friends thinks its old-fashioned to be obsessed with blackness, we figure we are just Americans.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________

Strange and interesting comment.

Sooooo...if you identifiied as "Black American" that would render you "obsessed"?

Old 03-19-2009, 02:15 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times
It wont go down the road of detroit thats how

Old 03-19-2009, 05:05 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,617 times
How has Clayton County changed since the minority population has increased so much?

- Reel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta