Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 10:53 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times

Advertisements

Well, Atlanta will easily be able to handle the influx if just adds the commuter rail lines! All 11 commuter rail lines.

www.cfpt.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 11:04 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
No it was not, and look at the problem the area is in right now. They are frantically trying to get a rail network built, they have had serious water and power outage issues, ect....
Yeah, but my point was even if Atlanta isnt built to support all those people, they are still going to move here, just like it didnt stop anyone from moving to LA.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:25 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,026 times
I think that commuter rail line is more of a pipe dream than anything. They have had that idea on the books for years (when I first moved down to the Atlanta area in the early 90's they were talking about it) and it is still far from a reality. Too many different counties with there own ideas about what they want. Heck, where I lived in Fayette County, they even voted down express bus service a little while back (they have NO public transportation of any kind and don't want any). Unless the govt. basically forces them to build it, I think there may be one or two line built if you're lucky.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:40 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
I think that commuter rail line is more of a pipe dream than anything. They have had that idea on the books for years (when I first moved down to the Atlanta area in the early 90's they were talking about it) and it is still far from a reality. Too many different counties with there own ideas about what they want. Heck, where I lived in Fayette County, they even voted down express bus service a little while back (they have NO public transportation of any kind and don't want any). Unless the govt. basically forces them to build it, I think there may be one or two line built if you're lucky.

And that is so unfortunate...because the commuter rail lines would be relatively easy to implement and could be up and running in just a few years...

Old 03-20-2009, 12:21 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
Metro Atlanta doesn't need any more people, there is more people in metro Atlanta than there is in the entire state of Alabama.... thats ridiculous people need to start spreading out to other parts of GA......
Why would people move? And how would they make a living after doing so?

I could certainly telecommute, and my company allows it to a large extent, but my wife's job is non-portable and it's probably not easy to find an equivalent in a smaller town.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:05 AM

I think they should look at parts of Europe and Asia for ideas. I have seen some studies of a national high speed rail network connecting cities from Boston to Miami and Chicago that looks like a great idea. If only we could get them to make it a reality!

Old 03-20-2009, 07:37 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,734,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
Metro Atlanta doesn't need any more people,
I can agree with that statement, but not the rest. I don't think they need to start spreading out. I LOVE my city being a big city. I think those people in the Atlanta Metro area are spread too far out as it is now. I think those people should move in closer and free up the suburbs to the people that want the space. All those people that move to Atlanta wanting a big city, but they do something stupid like choose to move to Dekalb County or Gwinnett. If you want big city, MOVE INTO THE CITY. That's the ONLY way it's going to become that big city that those people want. It would be nice to see the population (not so much grow in the metro area) move into INTO THE CITY of Atlanta, in the core. The suburbs would end up a LOT less crowded and traffic riddled. The Transit system in the city would get a LOT more ridership, and would grow because of more money and necessity. Traffic would improve, air quality would improve, may see healthier people due to people being encouraged to walk more. Pack the city in, and clear the suburbs out. Those who like suburban life would love it a lot more, and those who like city life would love it a lot more.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:55 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,734,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Well, Atlanta will easily be able to handle the influx if just adds the commuter rail lines! All 11 commuter rail lines.

www.cfpt.org

THIS WOULD BE AWESOME IF IT ALL HAPPENS!!! IT'S SO NECESSARY!!!

There also needs to be more attention paid to Gwinnett. More than just two commuter lines if you ask me. Overall, the idea looks GREAT

Old 03-20-2009, 06:22 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
THIS WOULD BE AWESOME IF IT ALL HAPPENS!!! IT'S SO NECESSARY!!!

There also needs to be more attention paid to Gwinnett. More than just two commuter lines if you ask me. Overall, the idea looks GREAT
Yeah, that would be. It could actually rival the Tokyo area's train system. Realistically however, I don't think I'll see it in my lifetime, but who knows. We just need to get rid of the NIMBY anti-transit and old-fashioned way of thinking.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:10 PM

I very highly doubt it would rival the Tokyo train system. Even NYC pales in comparison to its coverage. You are hard pressed to find a single block in metro Tokyo that does not have some form of public transportation!

Here is a map of the Tokyo subway from Joho Maps (it does not even show the commuter trains or bus routes on it!)

Subway Map of Tokyo - JohoMaps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta