Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:28 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,734,435 times

Advertisements

I remember a LONG time ago, there were talks about another freeway being built to circle around Atlanta well outside of I-285. It was supposed to be a much bigger loop than 285, connecting all the outer counties like Cherokee, Paulding, Forsyth, Henry and some others... What happened to that idea? Is that freeway being built as we speak or is this another one of the famous ideas never to leave the drawing board because some crying suburbanites are afraid of change in their neighborhoods?

(no offense to the non-crying suburbanites)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 01:42 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
It's definitely not "being built as we speak", and I doubt it's because "crying suburbanites are afraid of change in their neighborhoods". It's most likely because no one has come up with the billions of dollars that would be required to fund the construction.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:45 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,734,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
It's most likely because no one has come up with the billions of dollars that would be required to fund the construction.
Do you think Federal grants could be an option?
I know that would really tick off a lot of pundits in Washington.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:58 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,354,399 times
As it was originally proposed - no, it won't happen. That was one of the pet projects of former Gov. Barnes, and the NIMBY's in the roads path fought it tooth and nail.

One proposal was for a road that only connected with the other Freeways it intersected (my preference). The road starting morphing, however and eventually it was supposed to have exits at practically every road that crossed it's path. At this point, the Sierra Club and a lot of other environmentalists joined in the opposition. The thing would have been a sprawl monster, pushing the unplanned garbage well up into the foothills.

One of the first things Gov. Purdue did after taking office was to cancel the road. There is a small portion in Gwinnett that I think has been funded, and they plan on building it as a boulevard, not a Freeway. It will run from Ga 316 to up around the Mall of Georgia area, ending somewhere on Buford Hwy.

The original route has been so filled in by subdivisions now, it would probably be totally cost prohibitive to revive the original plans.

There have been a couple of proposals thrown around to upgrade Ga. 20 across the top of the metro into something simialr to the "Freeway" stretch of Peachtree Industrial. This might happen - might not. Haven't heard anything in quite a while.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:36 PM

880 posts, read 2,860,842 times
Johnatl is right, it was shot down by residents along the path of the road and Purdue got rid of the idea completely. It actually started out as a perimeter, then was downgraded to the "Northern Arch" from I-75 to I-85 in the northern suburbs, and finally canceled. I think they still have plans for a portion in Gwinnett though.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:42 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,554 times
It's called Highway 20

Actually alot of crap was going on, politicians were buying up land along it and then trying to get the road to go through their land. Big scandal.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:33 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,852,346 times
Still should have happened anyway. The argument about it causing more sprawl is bogus IMO because the sprawl is coming / has come anyway, but now with a buch of surface streets and tons of lights to negotiate.

Somebody back in the 60s or 70s should have pushed for a similar road closer in, say Town Center to Northpoint to Gwinett Place. Now it is too chockablock with development to build something like this. The area sprawled anyway.

Not being able to move east/west north of 285 is a real draw back to Atlanta. The sprawl argument is ridiculous as it sprawled anyway. But again, I sound like a broken record.

Georgia as a whole will hurt with transportation issues if there isn't a good alternative to traversing the region without going through Atlanta. Maybe its time to bring back the West Gerogia Tollway which woul be a good north/south route away from Atlanta or the proposed I 3 which would go from Savannah to Augusta to Athens then across the northern part of the state above Gainesville to Rome. Could connect there to the proposed Atlanta/Huntsville/Memphis intersate.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:02 AM

16,678 posts, read 29,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Could connect there to the proposed Atlanta/Huntsville/Memphis intersate.
Are they still planning this? I thought with the conversion of Hwy 78 from Birmingham to Memphis to an interstate, there was no longer any plan for a direct Atlanta-Huntsville-Memphis interstate?

Old 03-22-2009, 01:02 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,852,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Are they still planning this? I thought with the conversion of Hwy 78 from Birmingham to Memphis to an interstate, there was no longer any plan for a direct Atlanta-Huntsville-Memphis interstate?
I see it mentioned on the Alabama forum, I think it is still on the wish list for future interstates but don't know that it is on any current high priority lists. The people in Huntsville are the main backers as the city is very underserved by interstates, a lot like Columbus.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:30 AM

16,678 posts, read 29,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I see it mentioned on the Alabama forum, I think it is still on the wish list for future interstates but don't know that it is on any current high priority lists. The people in Huntsville are the main backers as the city is very underserved by interstates, a lot like Columbus.
Yes...I remember reading about this several years ago (and Huntsville is really behind this)...but the main issue is if the objective is to better connect ATL with Memphis, or the gave a another interstate come closer to Huntsville. If the former is the objective, the Memphis to Birmingham interstate should suffice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta