Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:46 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times

Advertisements

I got a call a few weeks ago from a pollster that was obviously working for either this poll or another similar poll, asking me my preference among Republican candidates and Roy Barnes for Gov. Looks like Barnes is doing pretty well so far.

Insider Advantage poll says former Gov. Roy Barnes could threaten GOP streak in Georgia | Political Insider

As an aside, since we first moved to Marietta, we've been passing this really nice white faux Victorian home being built on Whitlock Ave, and my wife and I always joked that we should see if it was for sale. It turned out to be Barnes' new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 09:01 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,218 times
Today's AJC has a piece on Cobb County chairman Sam Olens possibly considering a run for governor. Cobb chief casts an eye on run for governor | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/cobb/stories//2009/03/22/olens_0322.html - broken link) I expect Olens would be a very strong contender? Cobb County appears to be about the best run county in the metro area.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:08 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Would this be the same Roy Barnes that shoved that hideous flag down our throats and insulted every single teacher in the state of Georgia? Yes, that would be the one.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:49 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Would this be the same Roy Barnes that shoved that hideous flag down our throats and insulted every single teacher in the state of Georgia? Yes, that would be the one.
HA....he's the only recent GA Gov that I don't know too much about. Zell was Gov when I left GA (I liked and still like Zell) in '92 and Purdue was here when I got back, but I do remember Barnes as a sort of hack in the legislature.

I've always been skeptical of candidates who lose a major race and then try to mount a comeback. Nixon did it, and it can be done, but maybe it's time for some new faces on the political scene for Gov? GA politics seems to be a case of try, try again.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:28 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
Barnes lost because the teachers turned against him because he wanted to do away with/weaken tenure. Given how much damage has been done to pubilc education in GA under Perdue.. I think many teachers feel like they made a huge mistake.

Add to this the fact that we now a democratic president who is saying the same thing about bad teachers should help Barnes.

Casey Cagel and Karen Handle are both running. Handel and Olens probably share the same voters.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:32 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
The same Governor that had the good sense to at least try to bury that ignorant and hateful reminder of a past that we call the 2nd Navy Jack? I'd say great! I don't agree with everything he does, but if nothing else Mr. Barnes will force any newcomers who are throwing down the gauntlet to serious up their "A" game and actually campaign on good solutions that will ease our great state forward into tomorrow. Any person that to me who is still obsessing over the loss of that crazy flag is in my humble opinion not a person who is interested in a progressive future for all Georgians.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:14 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
Acid

Oh right I forgot about the flag.

That was the other nail in Barnes' coffin.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:18 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,709,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Would this be the same Roy Barnes that shoved that hideous flag down our throats
I guess...He was trying to find a middle ground. I"m just glad he took a stand and stuck to it unlike other you flip-flop all around.

* "Few are willing to brave the disapproval of their fellows, the censure of their colleagues, the wrath of their society. Moral courage is a rarer commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence*

I wish had won a second term. Seems like alot of stuff would be different (transportation and education, for one) then, "What Can Sonny Do For You" Perdue has done in the past few years...

Last edited by PKCorey; 03-22-2009 at 12:15 PM..

Old 03-22-2009, 01:57 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,644,578 times
Interesting, will he try to start off where he left off if he does become Governor?

Old 03-22-2009, 03:26 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Today's AJC has a piece on Cobb County chairman Sam Olens possibly considering a run for governor. Cobb chief casts an eye on run for governor | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/cobb/stories//2009/03/22/olens_0322.html - broken link) I expect Olens would be a very strong contender? Cobb County appears to be about the best run county in the metro area.

What?!? Us country, redneck, red voters run things better? say it aint so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: