Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:29 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,018 times

Advertisements

We just had our first at Northside and had a great experience....I would definitely go back for any future kids. The staff was VERY patient despite being pulled in several directions and everyone was really nice and pleasant to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 02:07 AM

262 posts, read 637,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickazzz2000 View Post
Thats a narrow viewpoint of the issue. The other hospitals you mentioned may have a higher C-section rate because they also have high-risk obstetricians on staff..those pregnancies are of course more prone to acute emergencies requiring quick intervention.
The World Health Organization recommends a c-section rate of 15% - this is adjusted for high risk pregnancies, etc. A rate below 5-10% usually means that too few c-sections are being performed and reflects a lack of adequate medical care (i.e. third world countries). The only Atlanta hospital close to this number is North Fulton at ~20%. Most other hospitals are between 30-40%.

There is definitely a thing as a necessary c-section. I'm sure it's something that everyone who gives birth or cares about someone giving birth is thankful for. But the fact is, if it's important to you to avoid an unnecessary section, or to have a birth that is as low-intervention as possible, the hospital's c-section rate is something to consider while making that decision. Arguably the choice in individual provider is even more important, and yet another thing to consider carefully - but unfortunately that information is not public record as hospital c-section rates are. If you truly don't care what your birth is like (and some people don't), choose the hospital with the best waiting rooms or cafeteria food or whatever floats your boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay
Shouldn't every mother's first priority be to deliver a healthy baby? The way some women talk, it gives me the impression that their first priority is to have their ideal birthing experience.
Having a healthy baby is definitely my priority! I'm pregnant now for the second time. Unfortunately a c-section is not always a guarantee of a healthy baby. It comes with its own set of risks which must be weighed carefully against other options (referring to a case when a section is not an emergency, of course).

The Atlanta hospital c-section rates for 2008 were just published. I don't see them in a format where I can copy and paste but here's a link to an image with the information for anyone interested.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:26 PM

6 posts, read 22,570 times
well, my doctor & the sonogram lady STILL screwed up and declared the baby to be four weeks older than he really was. And the hospital staff blamed ME for the mess-up. So many rights of mine were violated that it's really a sick situation.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:40 PM
JWK

54 posts, read 45,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llentz123 View Post
I went on tour at Northside. My husband and I were the only couple in the group tour that noticed the total lack of security at Northside Maternity. It allows anyone from off the street to roam around every inch of the ward without any security to be seen. I guess I'm used to Charlotte and Raleigh where there was one way up and down, and visitors were checked in and confirmed by the guard. Really scary that we saw what looked like homeless junkies asking the tour guide where the main hospital was. When we asked the guide about it she said "We are obsessed about security, but I'm not at liberty to go into detail". WTF. I'm not going to risk my safety or my child's by believing that. Go see for yourself. I've never seen anything like it.
You clearly didn't get the big picture or weren't paying attention.

Among other things, Northside uses a "Baby LoJack" type of system. Each infant is tagged with a special bracelet as soon as they arrive in the nursery after delivery. You don't notice them, but there are sensors at EVERY exit door and elevator. You can't get through those without an alarm going off.

There are security cameras EVERYWHERE, both inside and outside the hospital. A relatively small number of people have access to any nursery areas or are allowed contact with the babies - if you were paying attention on the tour, you would know that, and, you would have been told exactly how those people are identified. Besides getting an explanation during the tours, each parent gets very specific instructions about infant security and how to check to make sure that anyone that comes in contact with their baby is approved to do so. The entire hospital staff is aware of how the infant security systems are set up - it's not important that you know every detail, nor should you.

As with other hospitals in town, Northside is not just an OB hospital. It offers many other services, and because of it's size, it's not hard to get lost. Parking is an issue, especially if you don't know where you're going, so if you happen to park on the wrong side of the hospital, what do you do? ASK "How do I get to...." Would you like all hospital visitors or patients to conform to your standards of dress and appearance just to make you more comfortable?

Old 07-15-2009, 08:47 PM
JWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkMachine View Post
The World Health Organization recommends a c-section rate of 15% - this is adjusted for high risk pregnancies, etc. A rate below 5-10% usually means that too few c-sections are being performed and reflects a lack of adequate medical care (i.e. third world countries). The only Atlanta hospital close to this number is North Fulton at ~20%. Most other hospitals are between 30-40%.

There is definitely a thing as a necessary c-section. I'm sure it's something that everyone who gives birth or cares about someone giving birth is thankful for. But the fact is, if it's important to you to avoid an unnecessary section, or to have a birth that is as low-intervention as possible, the hospital's c-section rate is something to consider while making that decision. Arguably the choice in individual provider is even more important, and yet another thing to consider carefully - but unfortunately that information is not public record as hospital c-section rates are. If you truly don't care what your birth is like (and some people don't), choose the hospital with the best waiting rooms or cafeteria food or whatever floats your boat.

Having a healthy baby is definitely my priority! I'm pregnant now for the second time. Unfortunately a c-section is not always a guarantee of a healthy baby. It comes with its own set of risks which must be weighed carefully against other options (referring to a case when a section is not an emergency, of course).

The Atlanta hospital c-section rates for 2008 were just published. I don't see them in a format where I can copy and paste but here's a link to an image with the information for anyone interested.
A C-Section is a decision of the physician and patient, NOT the hospital. These are conversations that should be had well before the time for delivery arrives. If you don't like your particular doctor's philosophy about C-Sections, find another.

Nobody really cares what the WHO says. Many of the C-Sections at Northside and many other hospitals are repeat C-Sections. Relatively few OB docs want to mess with VBAC's, because the risks are significant, and like it or not, EVERY mom who doesn't have a PERFECT outcome is looking for "One Call That's All" in the phone book. Again, if you don't like your doctor's philosophy, look around for someone else that's a better fit.

And if all you want to judge a hospital by is their low C-Section rate, you're not a well-informed patient, and advising others to use this as their criteria is foolish at best.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:54 PM

7 posts, read 31,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwk1 View Post
A C-Section is a decision of the physician and patient, NOT the hospital. These are conversations that should be had well before the time for delivery arrives. If you don't like your particular doctor's philosophy about C-Sections, find another.
You have a good point - a lot does depend on the doctor. The problem is that a lot of doctors aren't exactly up front about their philosophy, nor do a lot of patients think to really ask them about it. And there is a lot of variation in what could be determined "necessary." I was fortunate enough to be able to interview a couple of doctors in depth during my last pregnancy and was surprised at times to find large differences of opinion that would not have been apparent without quite a bit of probing.

Quote:
Nobody really cares what the WHO says. Many of the C-Sections at Northside and many other hospitals are repeat C-Sections. Relatively few OB docs want to mess with VBAC's, because the risks are significant,...
And the fact that there are so many repeat C-sections is a big concern for me. There is an unfortunate tendency in our current OB culture to emphasize the risks of VBAC (which can be quite scary in the rare event of uterine rupture, or UR) while overlooking the risks inherent in a C-section. Ironically, the risks are very similar, both in type and in frequency. The biggest difference is that a C-section provides a greater feeling of control, which makes it seem safer. Unfortunately, even a "smooth" C-section could end up with major complications, and every C-section leads to greater risks in future pregnancies, no matter the mode of delivery choice. If you are interested, here are links to some studies that compare VBAC and ERCS:

Vaginal birth after Caesarean versus elective repe...[Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2004] - PubMed Result
Is vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) or elective...[Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006] - PubMed Result
Maternal morbidity following a trial of labor afte...[Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008] - PubMed Result
Vaginal birth after caesarean section versus elect...[BJOG. 2006] - PubMed Result
How safe is vaginal birth after cesarean section f...[J Fam Pract. 2006] - PubMed Result
Obstetric outcomes in women with two prior cesarea...[Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2005] - PubMed Result

For the record, I am not against C-sections. I am very grateful that we have the skill to perform them to save lives. My concern comes in when they are used when there is no real jeopardy - that is when the risk to benefit ratio tips away from the C-section.

Quote:
...and like it or not, EVERY mom who doesn't have a PERFECT outcome is looking for "One Call That's All" in the phone book. Again, if you don't like your doctor's philosophy, look around for someone else that's a better fit.
This is the fear, though not necessarily the reality. In fact, I would say that statement grossly underestimates the caliber of the majority of women. But I have had one very honest doctor who told me that his manner of practice has changed a lot over the years - not for medical reasons, but out of fear against malpractice suits. He said, "You don't get sued for the C-section you did, but for the one you didn't do." Unfortunately, this defensive practicing really isn't in the best interest of the mother, or the baby.

Honestly, a lot of good would be done in our culture if we could realize that doctors are human and that medicine really is an art. A lot is just doing the best you can with the information you have. And if we could get this realization, then we as patients would be more likely to take an active role in our care - and therefore less likely to want to reach for the "one call."

Quote:
And if all you want to judge a hospital by is their low C-Section rate, you're not a well-informed patient, and advising others to use this as their criteria is foolish at best.
Again, true that the C-section rate should not be the only criteria used in judging a hospital. Yet the C-section rate can also be indicative of the overall hospital philosophy, which for me is more important than beautiful furniture/room design or even delicious food (as wonderful as both of those are). While I have not delivered at Northside or a hospital with such a high C-section rate, I have delivered in a hospital that was more focused for high-risk pregnancies. They had a good NICU, but were very pushy with things like epidurals and protocols. I have also delivered in two hospitals with more natural-birth focused philosophies, most recently at North Fulton, which was earlier mentioned as one with a low C-section rate. They didn't deny me epidurals or slack on medical care, they can still handle the vast majority of pregnancy complications and they did still have respectable NICUs that could handle most babies' problems. But they also had more labor-support possibilities available, and there was more individual focus and support, in my experience. So there is something to be said about looking at the C-section rate as a predictor - not the only deciding factor, perhaps, but a predictor. There's also a lot to be said about talking to nurses who work there and visiting the hospital.

You were very right, though, in saying it boils down to your doctor. There are some amazing doctors who practice in hospitals that otherwise wouldn't be that great, just as there are some lousy doctors who practice in amazingly wonderful hospitals. That's why thorough interviews are very important. But it is also sad that some moms really do have to drill their doctors - practice their own form of defensive medicine perhaps.

Sorry for the mini novel. As I'm sure you can tell, you touched on something in which I have much experience and interest.

Last edited by Mom of 2; 07-20-2009 at 10:09 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 11:48 PM

84 posts, read 194,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of 2 View Post
Honestly, a lot of good would be done in our culture if we could realize that doctors are human and that medicine really is an art. A lot is just doing the best you can with the information you have. And if we could get this realization, then we as patients would be more likely to take an active role in our care - and therefore less likely to want to reach for the "one call."

+100000000000000000000

Old 07-21-2009, 08:52 PM
JWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of 2 View Post
You have a good point - a lot does depend on the doctor. The problem is that a lot of doctors aren't exactly up front about their philosophy, nor do a lot of patients think to really ask them about it. And there is a lot of variation in what could be determined "necessary." I was fortunate enough to be able to interview a couple of doctors in depth during my last pregnancy and was surprised at times to find large differences of opinion that would not have been apparent without quite a bit of probing.

And the fact that there are so many repeat C-sections is a big concern for me. There is an unfortunate tendency in our current OB culture to emphasize the risks of VBAC (which can be quite scary in the rare event of uterine rupture, or UR) while overlooking the risks inherent in a C-section. Ironically, the risks are very similar, both in type and in frequency. The biggest difference is that a C-section provides a greater feeling of control, which makes it seem safer. Unfortunately, even a "smooth" C-section could end up with major complications, and every C-section leads to greater risks in future pregnancies, no matter the mode of delivery choice. If you are interested, here are links to some studies that compare VBAC and ERCS:

Vaginal birth after Caesarean versus elective repe...[Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2004] - PubMed Result
Is vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) or elective...[Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006] - PubMed Result
Maternal morbidity following a trial of labor afte...[Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008] - PubMed Result
Vaginal birth after caesarean section versus elect...[BJOG. 2006] - PubMed Result
How safe is vaginal birth after cesarean section f...[J Fam Pract. 2006] - PubMed Result
Obstetric outcomes in women with two prior cesarea...[Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2005] - PubMed Result

For the record, I am not against C-sections. I am very grateful that we have the skill to perform them to save lives. My concern comes in when they are used when there is no real jeopardy - that is when the risk to benefit ratio tips away from the C-section.

This is the fear, though not necessarily the reality. In fact, I would say that statement grossly underestimates the caliber of the majority of women. But I have had one very honest doctor who told me that his manner of practice has changed a lot over the years - not for medical reasons, but out of fear against malpractice suits. He said, "You don't get sued for the C-section you did, but for the one you didn't do." Unfortunately, this defensive practicing really isn't in the best interest of the mother, or the baby.

Again, true that the C-section rate should not be the only criteria used in judging a hospital. Yet the C-section rate can also be indicative of the overall hospital philosophy, which for me is more important than beautiful furniture/room design or even delicious food (as wonderful as both of those are). While I have not delivered at Northside or a hospital with such a high C-section rate, I have delivered in a hospital that was more focused for high-risk pregnancies. They had a good NICU, but were very pushy with things like epidurals and protocols. I have also delivered in two hospitals with more natural-birth focused philosophies, most recently at North Fulton, which was earlier mentioned as one with a low C-section rate. They didn't deny me epidurals or slack on medical care, they can still handle the vast majority of pregnancy complications and they did still have respectable NICUs that could handle most babies' problems. But they also had more labor-support possibilities available, and there was more individual focus and support, in my experience. So there is something to be said about looking at the C-section rate as a predictor - not the only deciding factor, perhaps, but a predictor. There's also a lot to be said about talking to nurses who work there and visiting the hospital.

You were very right, though, in saying it boils down to your doctor. There are some amazing doctors who practice in hospitals that otherwise wouldn't be that great, just as there are some lousy doctors who practice in amazingly wonderful hospitals. That's why thorough interviews are very important. But it is also sad that some moms really do have to drill their doctors - practice their own form of defensive medicine perhaps.
Everyone should know their doctor and how they do things. You can certainly find doctors who will do VBAC's or do the "touchy-feely" deliveries with jacuzzis and bouncy balls. However, a patient should not expect a doctor to change their way of practice to suit them, because it's not going to happen. So again, if you don't like what you hear, AT THE FIRST OB VISIT, find someone else that you will like.

And here's the deal with VBAC's. The risk of uterine rupture in any delivery is very low. The risk of uterine rupture with VBAC's is 25x higher. So - 25x very low is still pretty low. However, IF it happens, the results are CATASTROPHIC, which means baby and quite possible mom will DIE. It's that simple. Particularly in hospitals that don't have immediate coverage in-house (and that includes a hospital you mentioned above as I recall), VBAC's are a very dangerous game to play. In fact, ACOG recommends 24/7 in-house OB and anesthesia coverage for any hospital that does VBAC's.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:00 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
Not sure if the OP has decided on a hospital yet or delivered by now, but I used Piedmont Hospital and I can tell you that after delivering there and then having my son at a community hospital the difference is undeniable! Piedmont is considered a private hospital and I had some of the best care ever! I would hands down choose Piedmont as the place to deliver!
We have not delivered yet... since I wrote the post, we found out we are having twins! We decided on Northside based on general feedback.. Piedmont was an option but it was too far... I got horrible feedback about Kennestone... our first baby was an emergency c-section so we are keeping a close eye on this pregnancy.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:47 PM

6 posts, read 22,570 times
Northside is great if you have a high-risk pregnancy and if you need immediate care - they have the staff on hand to handle that, BUT - re-consider them if you have a disability or any other condition that causes social stigma to occur - my husband is much older than I am, and we were VERY badly mistreated by Northside medical staff as a result. I also have several disabilities, and that also caused the staff to treat us badly - I had to fire one doctor after she screamed at me in the middle of the whole ward, and she exacted her revenge on us by trying to have the children taken from us through a BS call to Dept of Family and Childrens' Services.

If you are a non-traditional couple, heed my warning & please reconsider! If you are a Southern Baptist and are strictly conformist or a Republican, they will love you there. You will fit right in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: