Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 06:58 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernsee View Post
I doubt people are replacing reading the paper by going to the Internet and getting informed on local Atlanta news.

This is only true for the computer illiterate. I read the AJC and other news sites online every day, as does everyone else I know. Actually, thanks to the internet, I am FAR more informed about what is going on in the world, even to the point of knowing what is going on in my immediate neighborhood. Thanks to the internet, I'm getting important information I never would get from the AJC. In addition to internet news sites, there are millions of discussion groups and forums where you can get specific information, rather than whatever "man bites dog" nonsense the editor at the AJC chooses to run. Also, people who use Facebook and Myspace share articles with their network of friends.

No way are people less informed as a result of the internet. Nothing could be less true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 07:38 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I think this is a good point actually; that's why I take the WSJ. The Drudge Report is pretty succinct, but does carry a wide array of editorials with a very fair sample of viewpoints.
My husband takes the London Times and Le Monde because he likes to get the overseas viewpoint.
I agree with Mattie and Lovin as well...

Old 03-24-2009, 08:52 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
Quote:
The Drudge Report is pretty succinct
It's gossip and propaganda mostly. Sure some news is sprinkled in, but the site is just awful.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:01 AM

970 posts, read 2,949,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
It's gossip and propaganda mostly. Sure some news is sprinkled in, but the site is just awful.
But the Daily Koz isn't? Thoughts?

One reason I hope papers stick around is for the multitude of uses they provide:
  1. Sunday coupons & sales circulars
  2. ready made kindling for a fire
  3. bird cage material
  4. fish wrap
The list goes on & on!

Old 03-24-2009, 12:04 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The common reason I hear for people still subscribing to the AJC is that they still want to be apprised of the local news.
I gave up on that lousy paper years ago. I get most of my news on the internet.
So do I, but I still follow the AJC as well as other local papers from the Twin Cities, etc. It isn't local newspapers I dislike, it's having to recycle so much paper!!

I wish newspaper establishments would get smart enough to realize that many of us would pay for an electronic (web-based, PDF-based, whatever) version of their product just for local news.

Instead they insist on sticking to the old models and end up having to shrink more and more... Pretty soon, only a few smart ones will be left, but that will leave a lot of areas w/o local coverage from that media segment.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:40 PM

826 posts, read 3,120,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post

Instead they insist on sticking to the old models and end up having to shrink more and more... Pretty soon, only a few smart ones will be left, but that will leave a lot of areas w/o local coverage from that media segment.
Yep.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:32 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
As a customer, what I'd find useful would be a weekly paper containing local news and advertisements, including the beloved coupons, plus a website with daily headlines, etc.

I don't how attractive this would be as a business, but it's what I'd like to have available. Obviously, it would be a smaller business than the big daily newspaper of old. However, those days are gone. Unlike most of you, I don't disapprove of the AJC. However, I don't need it to tell me the national and world news. Other, bigger newspapers do that much better, and I'm just as happy to read them online. What I would like to continue locally is local news and investigative journalism.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:37 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,520,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernsee View Post
What is going on with the AJC? Pretty soon, it'll be reduced to a phamplet. I know papers are having a tough time, but why bother to put out a paper at all if they put out this junk? Nothing but AP stories, crime stories and PR stories about the police. It was a real paper a few years ago but it has gone downhill so quickly. I doubt people are replacing reading the paper by going to the Internet and getting informed on local Atlanta news. I think the end result is that people will be less informed about what is going on locally in the future, ie concerts, theatre, restaurants, local happenings etc. Same thing with Creative Loafing. It has gone steadily downhill lately. Local TV news is awful. Nothing but crime stories on WSB and 11 Alive. I guess their only objective is trying to scare people rather than inform them and improve the community. I don't understand the obsession the local media has with crime. Anyway, I fear that reading will be a lost art in the future, and the result will be a less educated, less informed society.
I have to disagree with some points. Im a believer that citizins should support their local rags, but with blackberries, iphones and other mobile devices, why pay 75c for the rag when you can easily go to AJC.com on your device? I will agree with the AP articles all metro rags have them and its better to here from the local perspective. One thing for sure newspapers and news shows are in the business of selling ad space. That is their whole point, you buy/watch the news thinking you are just getting the news but they are also sneaking in advertisements for companies. You, like some may want to hear about something of substance, but most people want drama, what better drama than a news breaking crime story? Now you have viewers for ads. Its all a game to sell ads.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:51 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
How so? It's basically a cut and paste of other media outlets, with a hour to hour update on major news stories. How does that translate to propaganda?

Old 03-24-2009, 10:57 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Here is a very good example of what will be lost by the demise of the local newspapers. It is written by one of my favorite columnists, Leonard Pitts:

Don't expect sympathy cards from crooks, corrupt politicians - Leonard Pitts Jr. - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/living/columnists/leonard-pitts/story/955386.html - broken link)
NEWSPAPERS

Don't expect sympathy cards from crooks, corrupt politicians
On the day the last newspaper is published, I expect no sympathy card from Kwame Kilpatrick. Were it not for a newspaper -- The Detroit Free Press -- his use of public funds to cover up his affair with one of his aides would be unrevealed and, he might still be mayor of Detroit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta