Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you experience airborne allergy symptoms in Atlanta?
Yes - spring. 13 38.24%
Yes - summer. 0 0%
Yes - fall. 0 0%
Yes - two or more seasons. 10 29.41%
No. 11 32.35%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:11 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times

Advertisements

It's getting close to that time of year when everything outdoors is yellow and people post about their allergy misery. I know how miserable a springtime allergy can be - back in the Pacific northwest the alder pollen made me wretched every spring.

However, here in Atlanta I am symptom free. And when I google about pine pollen I find the medical experts claim it gets a bad rap. Because it's a very big pollen it's the one we can see, but it's not very allergenic. Other local trees like oaks, cedars and birches are much more commonly the culprits when people have allergy symptoms at this time of year. Even though there's loads of tree pollen around right now, it doesn't make everyone sick. So I thought we'd have a poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 09:23 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Atlanta area pollen has been known to literally send people from other regions of the country to the hospital before the first time they experience it (they think it's an asthma attack), while it has no effect on others. So it's very hit and miss when it comes to how little or bad it's going to hit you. As you age, your susceptibility to allergies can also get better or worse as your body changes, too.

I have several strong "attacks" through the Spring season. Benadryl of course works better than anything, but you have to tolerate the "space head" feeling you get from it. Tylenol sinus also works so-so. Claritin has no effect on me whatsoever. I've started experimenting with Zyrtec this year, but the jury is out until I've had to get through the worst part of the season while on it (still to come).

Best advice to newbies here
: At least have some Benadryl on standby. Keep your carpets vacuumed. Remove clothes you've been wearing outside for lengths of time and put them in the laundry bin. Wipe pets that have been outdoors off with baby wipes when they come in - these things will HELP reduce pollen getting into your homes and bothering you. Outside? Well, just take the pills to stay in.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:51 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,111 times
I just had my first call out of work this week because of it, Im high of of Claritin now. I need to shave my head til it goes away.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:21 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
I don't sneeze or get itchy eyes from the yellow pollen (although I do get some gunk in my throat). Later in the year, when the grass pollen comes out, is when I really have problems. I am an Atlanta native, so I don't know whether I have built up tolerance or whatever, but it's not too problematic for me.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:53 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,690 times
not really... sometimes i would get them out of the blue but typically i can swim in the pollen and not even notice it. years ago i was told that if you have allergies, you probably don't live in atlanta. i find this to be true

Old 03-29-2009, 01:51 PM

42 posts, read 139,552 times
I've moved from Canada, and the doctor at Walmart told me to "stay" on Claritin-D if I don't want to get sick again.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:44 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
I just hate that dad-gum yellow film that forms on my car and porch during the spring. Yeesh!

But as to the topic at hand luckily I'm not allergic to pollen NOW, but I heard that it could change with age when the immune systems weakens naturally. Can someone on this thread confirm this? I appreciate it kindly if y'all would.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:14 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Report:

After using it a while now, it SEEMS that Zrytec is working better for me than the other stuff.

Less zonky feeling than with Benadryl. More effective than Claritin or Tylenol Sinus/Allergy. I take it around 10pm and it lasts most of the next day into the late afternoon/early evening, and then the symptoms slowly come back, but not super strong.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:34 PM

85 posts, read 285,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I just hate that dad-gum yellow film that forms on my car and porch during the spring. Yeesh!

But as to the topic at hand luckily I'm not allergic to pollen NOW, but I heard that it could change with age when the immune systems weakens naturally. Can someone on this thread confirm this? I appreciate it kindly if y'all would.
Though not necessarily due to "naturally aging/weakening" immune systems, you can develop allergic conditions at any time in life. Many people first experience allergies in their 30's and 40's. I was 38 when I developed chronic sinus allergies.

Best advice, especially for folks who live in allergen prone areas, is to be prudent about a well-rounded basic healthy living regimen.

* Don't have to be a health food fanatic, but eat as well as you can.
* Even with a well rounded diet, a multivitamin is beneficial. Extra vitamin C also has numerous benefits. [1000 mg/day]
* Drink enough water, especially during the allergen season.
* Get adequate sleep/rest.
* Exercise.
* Try to stay stress free - it's not about being aroung stressful situations, it's about whether you let yourself become stressed by them.
* Get yourself some "cookie" when you can - studies show it's good for your health. {and I ain't talkin about chocolate chips or 'nilla wafers}

These are basic things that you should be doing for yourself anyway. If you don't have allergies now, THANK some stars and cross whatever appendages you can spare that you don't get them. Do what you can BEFORE you get them to make sure that you don't get them.

"May the boogers of your life visit less often than your in-laws."
-Ghandi I think

Old 03-30-2009, 04:56 PM

308 posts, read 1,037,952 times
Also use top quality air filters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: