Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:23 AM

42 posts, read 139,552 times

Advertisements

Hello there,

My sister is currently in Canada, while I'm planning a move to the Atlanta, USA from Canada. She skipped school and stopped going to school, etc but now she wants to finish it for sure. She 'restarted' going to school when she was 19 and now she's 21 and she only has a few credits left.Her school is called CALC, in Toronto as it's classified under adults looking to finish school.

I'm wondering if there is a high school in Atlanta (Buckhead area preferably) which will let a Canadian come in, transfer all the completed credits and look towards finishing the remaining credits (4-6 months)

What would we need to do to accomplish that?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 10:37 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
I think that's called a GED.

General Educational Development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-28-2009, 10:45 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

It is. And there are many ways and many programs/schools that can help one achieve this.

Where is lastminutemom...?

Old 03-28-2009, 10:52 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,218 times
Devilish, is your sister a US citizen? If not, do you have a plan for her to stay with you legally in the US? I don't recall exactly how long Canadians are permitted to stay in the US as tourists visiting family - four to six months may be OK, but you should check.

I think Georgia residents "age out" of public K-12 education at age 21.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:58 AM

Thanks a lot guys!
Alright, so that's step 1. This is the thing, my sis says that her current school "CALC" is the only one of it's kind in Toronto that allows a 'fast track' method of acquiring the high school diploma. She is also scared of the GED tests.

Is there, if necessary, an option for her to "transfer" her current accomplished credits and then join another school like CALC in Atlanta, and finish the rest of her 2 credits? She says if she's in Canada, she'll finish the remaining 2 credits by June, 09. However, I want to simply move her there and she continues as if it's just like CALC.

Are there any ways for this? Is there an organization or student body that would be able to help us in migration?
Thanks!

Old 03-28-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Devilish, is your sister a US citizen? If not, do you have a plan for her to stay with you legally in the US? I don't recall exactly how long Canadians are permitted to stay in the US as tourists visiting family - four to six months may be OK, but you should check.

I think Georgia residents "age out" of public K-12 education at age 21.
No, she isn't, she's Canadian. And thanks for bringing that up, because I don't have US citizenship either. However, my work can sponsor me, etc. I have full co-operation from my work. Sister would fall in the family category as would a spouse, etc.. right?

Old 03-28-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
No, she isn't, she's Canadian. And thanks for bringing that up, because I don't have US citizenship either. However, my work can sponsor me, etc. I have full co-operation from my work. Sister would fall in the family category as would a spouse, etc.. right?
Your work is likely to be sponsoring you for L1, TN or H1B status, right? (Note: as a Canadian you don't need a visa for entry to the US, but you do need the status in order legally stay and work in the US).

Dependents of persons in those statuses (and others) are restricted to spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21. Sorry to announce bad news, but moving to the US is just not easy. I'm a fellow Canadian who was transferred to the US by my employer. So I do know, I'm not making it up.

If your work is moving you, then they are probably using an immigration lawyer to handle the legal paperwork. You need a consultation with the lawyer about your sister's situation, if she is your dependent. I'm not a lawyer and it's been a few years since I was in the throes of coping with USCIS (I have a green card now). The rules change all the time. However, I'm pretty sure you could have a problem. If your work wants you down here, they need to get you some legal help with making the best arrangement for your sister.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Your work is likely to be sponsoring you for L1, TN or H1B status, right? (Note: as a Canadian you don't need a visa for entry to the US, but you do need the status in order legally stay and work in the US).

Dependents of persons in those statuses (and others) are restricted to spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21. Sorry to announce bad news, but moving to the US is just not easy. I'm a fellow Canadian who was transferred to the US by my employer. So I do know, I'm not making it up.

If your work is moving you, then they are probably using an immigration lawyer to handle the legal paperwork. You need a consultation with the lawyer about your sister's situation, if she is your dependent. I'm not a lawyer and it's been a few years since I was in the throes of coping with USCIS (I have a green card now). The rules change all the time. However, I'm pretty sure you could have a problem. If your work wants you down here, they need to get you some legal help with making the best arrangement for your sister.
So you're saying if it's a spouse, then it's easier to do all that, but not for the sister? I guess a lawyer can help me figure all that out. That's not the biggest concern.

The main one is, ofcourse, her education. As I don't know how we could do the transfer of credits, etc. It's great to know, however, that you moved as well. I think your input would be greatly appreciated for me as well, since I'm doing the move to Atlanta.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 03-28-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
So you're saying if it's a spouse, then it's easier to do all that, but not for the sister? I guess a lawyer can help me figure all that out. That's not the biggest concern.
Not to seem like a dark cloud, but if it is actually not possible for her to accompany you legally, that might be your biggest concern. You probably think this comment seems ridiculous, but unfortunately, I believe it's not. If there is a way for your sister to legally accompany you as a dependent, once she finishes her high school, she won't be allowed to work here, eh? If she became a college student, I think there's a provision allowing part-time work on campus. You really do need to consult a lawyer, and honestly, it's not simple. It's way harder for people to get into the US than into Canada.

If you use a search engine you can pretty easily find tons of immigration related forums, including some specifically dedicated to Canadians moving to the US. You might find those a bit sobering.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Not to seem like a dark cloud, but if it is actually not possible for her to accompany you legally, that might be your biggest concern. You probably think this comment seems ridiculous, but unfortunately, I believe it's not. If there is a way for your sister to legally accompany you as a dependent, once she finishes her high school, she won't be allowed to work here, eh? If she became a college student, I think there's a provision allowing part-time work on campus. You really do need to consult a lawyer, and honestly, it's not simple. It's way harder for people to get into the US than into Canada.

If you use a search engine you can pretty easily find tons of immigration related forums, including some specifically dedicated to Canadians moving to the US. You might find those a bit sobering.
haha, I'd rather hear it as it is rather than a sugar coated sentence. So, thank you.

Last edited by Devilish; 03-28-2009 at 03:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta