Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:15 PM

115 posts, read 422,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No one is saying private schools shouldn't exist...
Taken to its logical conclusion, yes, that is what many posters are arguing. Otherwise, why argue about it? Most children are educated (quite well) in public schools. If everyone used public schools, obviously the private schools would close. I don't think that would necessarily be a good thing.

If someone is happy with the public school in their area and their children and happy and learning, I think that's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 12:17 PM

2,239 posts, read 5,815,000 times
Quote:
Um...lol......

Rainy is correct in what she is saying. She's not going to sit here and then find/list every single incident of public school bashing on the Atlanta forum. Give her a break.

You have fingers and a mouse...knock yourself out, miss.

Wow.
I think, and I'm not pointing fingers here, that the point is that this thread started out as a discussion about the private school admissions process, not about public vs. private. Those who were participating initially were staying on topic, and then the discussion veers off because others come in and "stir the pot" regarding public vs. private. It is frustrating to those who do have kids in private school to be challenged at every turn about why we do not elect to go public. I think that others may also be frustrated that these threads get "hijacked" and turned into a debate when a debate was not solicited on *this* thread. That's perfectly appropriate in other places, but not on this thread. JMHO.

Last edited by CMMom; 04-14-2009 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: b/c "not" is an important word!

Old 04-14-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Um...lol......

Rainy is correct in what she is saying. She's not going to sit here and then find/list every single incident of public school bashing on the Atlanta forum. Give her a break.

You have fingers and a mouse...knock yourself out, miss.

Wow.
I would not expect her to find every one. But I mostly see a great deal of support for public schools on this forum. Including from myself.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I think, and I'm not pointing fingers here, that the point is that this thread started out as a discussion about the private school admissions process, not about public vs. private. Those who were participating initially were staying on topic, and then the discussion veers off because others come in and "stir the pot" regarding public vs. private. It is frustrating to those who do have kids in private school to be challenged at every turn about why we do not elect to go public. I think that others may also be frustrated that these threads get "hijacked" and turned into a debate when a debate was not solicited on *this* thread. That's perfectly appropriate in other places, but not on this thread. JMHO.
Agreed, and better stated.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:55 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,866,004 times
Quote:
Apologies, I think I was responding in context, but I suppose to some messages that were slightly straying from the strict original topic.

I truly had no idea that those with kids in private school feel so challenged and sensitive about their choice. I thought (but seemingly incorrectly) that my post bent over backwards to say that I think it's perfectly fine for people to choose private school. I really think the person who interpreted my post as "private schools should all be closed down" needs to read more objectively.

As aries confirms, there's a steady trickle of public school bashing on this forum. Also, of course, public school support. Goodness, I never said there wasn't any support for public schools. In responding to kagmypts' allusion to my views on public/private schools, my remarks were not actually strictly confined to this forum, anyway, but included my observations of society at large.

I'm actually not aware of private school bashing on here, but perhaps I overlook it due to this not being an area of sensitivity for me.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:03 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,600,196 times
I think, especially as mamas, that we catch so much flack for all manner of things: breast-feed/bottle feed, SAHM/WOHM, cloth/disposables, paper/plastic, etc.. that we develop a certain sensitivity to when it seems that our choices are being questioned. We live in a time when there are so many choices to be made, that we can become overwhelmed rather easily. (Or maybe that's just me! -lol-) Also, the internet is a great thing, but as a human interaction device it's seriously lacking. We lose so much communication when we can only read these rather austere posts. So much communication is non-verbal and can be 'read' in body language, tempo and tone. We lose all of that here.

I think we're all in agreement that we simply want what is best for our children, and also for all children. We may have differing ways of going about that goal, but ultimately I think that's what we all want.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:03 PM

297 posts, read 1,533,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Apologies, I think I was responding in context, but I suppose to some messages that were slightly straying from the strict original topic.

I truly had no idea that those with kids in private school feel so challenged and sensitive about their choice. I thought (but seemingly incorrectly) that my post bent over backwards to say that I think it's perfectly fine for people to choose private school. I really think the person who interpreted my post as "private schools should all be closed down" needs to read more objectively.

As aries confirms, there's a steady trickle of public school bashing on this forum. Also, of course, public school support. Goodness, I never said there wasn't any support for public schools. In responding to kagmypts' allusion to my views on public/private schools, my remarks were not actually strictly confined to this forum, anyway, but included my observations of society at large.

I'm actually not aware of private school bashing on here, but perhaps I overlook it due to this not being an area of sensitivity for me.
My apologies too even though I am still a strong proponent for private schools. Rainy, I laughed at the bolded part because our differences were really apparent on the school voucher thread from some months ago, not this thread. Anyway, good luck to all who applied to private schools as the decision deadline nears!

Old 04-14-2009, 03:21 PM

2,239 posts, read 5,815,000 times
Quote from RainyRainy Day:

"I truly had no idea that those with kids in private school feel so challenged and sensitive about their choice. I thought (but seemingly incorrectly) that my post bent over backwards to say that I think it's perfectly fine for people to choose private school. I really think the person who interpreted my post as "private schools should all be closed down" needs to read more objectively.

I'm actually not aware of private school bashing on here, but perhaps I overlook it due to this not being an area of sensitivity for me.[/quote]"

Rainy, I understand your point of view. You need to be aware though, that you jumped in the middle of a conversation about private school admissions to say the following:

"Chacun a son gout, aussi.

Public school is fine for some families."

In my mind, that is like jumping in the middle of a discussion that a bunch of stay-at-home moms are having about naptime or whatever and saying "Working is fine for some Moms." Or the reverse: jumping into a discussion that working Moms are having to talk about how it's better to be SAHM. It's really neither here nor there as related to the current conversation and actually a bit confrontational for no apparent reason. I don't feel that being slightly miffed/perplexed by such a statement means you're being overly sensitive. But again, though, JMHO.

Last edited by CMMom; 04-14-2009 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: b/c I can't seem to work quotes right

Old 04-14-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Quote from RainyRainy Day:

"I truly had no idea that those with kids in private school feel so challenged and sensitive about their choice. I thought (but seemingly incorrectly) that my post bent over backwards to say that I think it's perfectly fine for people to choose private school. I really think the person who interpreted my post as "private schools should all be closed down" needs to read more objectively.

"

Rainy, I understand your point of view. You need to be aware though, that you jumped in the middle of a conversation about private school admissions to say the following:

In my mind, that is like jumping in the middle of a discussion that a bunch of stay-at-home moms are having about naptime or whatever and saying "Working is fine for some Moms." Or the reverse: jumping into a discussion that working Moms are having to talk about how it's better to be SAHM. It's really neither here nor there as related to the current conversation and actually a bit confrontational for no apparent reason. I don't feel that being slightly miffed/perplexed by such a statement means you're being overly sensitive. But again, though, JMHO.[/quote]

Bravo.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:23 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,866,004 times
Quote:

In my mind, that is like jumping in the middle of a discussion that a bunch of stay-at-home moms are having about naptime or whatever and saying "Working is fine for some Moms." Or the reverse: jumping into a discussion that working Moms are having to talk about how it's better to be SAHM. It's really neither here nor there as related to the current conversation and actually a bit confrontational for no apparent reason. I don't feel that being slightly miffed/perplexed by such a statement means you're being overly sensitive. But again, though, JMHO.
You're right, that was insensitive of me, and your comparisons are appropriate. I thought I was trying to suggest "gosh, this is not such a big deal" but on reflection, that was a bad intention. It certainly is a big deal for those who really want their kid in a private school, and suggesting it's not is the opposite of helpful. Mea culpa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta