Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 10:29 PM

102 posts, read 382,186 times

Advertisements

I'm mad late on responding to this but oh well...

Atlanta has been the setting for plenty of movies, but for some reason, since does movies had mostly black characters they don't count?????? Atlanta is known as a black city! Yes it is getting less black each day but it is still considered Black to the rest of the nation. Therefore, it makes since that most movies and shows set in Atlanta would be with black people. I wouldn't set a show about a black neighborhood in Forsyth County would I? Over half of "Black movies" are either set in Atlanta or have characters moving to or from Atlanta. And guess what these movies are MAINSTREAM!!! I think it is quite stupid and close minded to say they are not mainstream because they are not mostly white characters. When these movies come out they hit number one and have all races going to see them.

As far as songs, many rappers and singers that don't live in Atlanta talk about Atlanta in their records. They even try to use Atlanta slang (shawty, crunk, etc.) Rap = Pop music of today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 10:46 PM

642 posts, read 2,218,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Stomp The Yard Stomp the Yard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia & Drumline http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drumline_(film) were both filmed in their entirety here as well. You cannot forget about the impact Jermaine Dupri has had on Atlanta as well. His "Welcome to Atlanta" song is definately a signature Atlanta track in Pop-Culture along with putting alot of talent out to the masses.

Oh...and don't forget about Lil John and Usher...How could I forgot those two? Both TREMENDOUS talents who are well known in Pop-Culture and who are known Worldwide. The Jonas Brothers are from here two as well right?
I beleive the Jonas Brothers are originally from New Jersey.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:42 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,062,681 times
I don't want the mainstream to know about how fabulous GA is. When people talk to me about GA (mainly the ones that have never lived and or visited it who are some how experts) I don't say how nice it is anymore. They don't believe it. Some people have it stuck in their brains the old South images and that is why mainstream media hasn't given it much credit.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:21 PM

927 posts, read 2,224,557 times
Thanks for reviving this thread. I get to enjoy a hilarious gem such as this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
As someone not from Atlanta, I can't wait to go back! I live in the Northeast and have spent time in NYC (which I HATE) and Boston (which I LOVE). Both are very old and are so different from Atlanta. You can't compare them. It's like comparing grapefruit juice and a metal desk.

I find Atlanta great, welcoming city to visit. NYC, I don't find that way. You've got culture. It's not the same culture, but so what? It's not the same city nor is it in the same geographic area. Be happy with what you have! You have no idea how lucky you are!
Yeah, uh, those definitely are different!

Old 10-01-2009, 01:55 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Overall, Atlanta has a long way to go to catch NYC, NJ, and Chicago for pop culture.

Uh, It's not just Chi, NY, or LA... Dont forget Philly, they are always filming something there. I know that Jamie Fox's new movie was done there plus Mark Walberg's Shooter, Bill Duke & Vivica Fox's movie called Cover, Transformers 2, & M. Knight Shammalyan shoots all of his features there.
In 2007 they were Filmaker Magazine's # 1 film city (outside of NY & LA) but they handily beat out Chi, Vegas, SF, Miami, & all the others & will probably do so again this year.

If I weren't relocating to the ATL next summer I'd probably move there cause they've got PLENTY of work going on for industry people..

Greater Philadelphia Film Office: What's Shooting (http://www.film.org/film/philly_film_scene/whats_shooting.cfm - broken link)

Old 10-01-2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Youll probably pull your racist card, but in reality, mainstream pop culutre and black pop culture are usually two seperate things. This is probably what the poster meant. Cities like LA, NYC, Miami are shown in movies with exclusively black characters that are targeting a black audience(black pop culture), and in movies that include all races (mainstream pop culture). Seems like Atlanta is only mentioned in movies with exclusivley black characters like Drumline, Stomp the Yard, etc.

In addition, although Atlanta is rapped about by black artists, you never hear Britney Spears singing about how she was out clubbing in Atlanta one night.

Do you not see the difference? Other races may listen to rap and go to Tyler Perry Movies, but it is clear from the races of the characters in these movies that they are catering to a specific "sub pop culture."

This is the reason why BET was formed, am I not correct?

Well, I live in a HUGE complex with a LARGE number of whites, armenians, persians, asians, greeks, latinos, etc; & guess what they're playin? Ludacris, Lil John, Rick Ross, & all those others that get more air play on Top 40 Pop stations than they do on so called "urban stations" I hear that crap all darn day & night, & they know it word for word.
I shoot on music video sets & the cast may be black but if their doing a show in town & we get tickets guess who fills the audience?
Almost everyone except blacks?
No darn body's blasting Britney & singing her stuff line for line,,,..

Also because it's a predominately black metro with lots of high profile residents & businesses, then your gonna see some of those residents & their rich backers make movies there & the ones they'll start with will be about "Black Folks".

Old 10-01-2009, 12:59 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,316,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBClub View Post
Has anyone noticed that Atlanta, now the 8th largest metro area, gets little to no attention from pop-culture and media?

When was the last time a major motion picture was set in Atlanta? (this does not include tyler perry films or ATL, im talking about mainstream!)

And we cannot blame it on a "sunbelt" thing. Dallas was the setting for the most popular sitcom of the 1980s, and Houston was the setting for the quintessential GenX film Reality Bites. Why hasnt Atlanta had anything???

Its never mentioned in songs...(rap songs dont count - "im goin bust a cap in yo a$$ in atlanta" is not mainstream)

Real World
has never come here...

Its rarely the setting for TV sitcoms (besides Designing Women). For example, why isnt Grey's Anatomy or House set in Atlanta?

Do you think the mainstream pop culture/media thinks our city is just a joke, on the same level as Detroit, Cleveland, or Birmingham, AL?
You've gotta be kidding, right? Let's see...
  • Like it or not, Atlanta is known for its hip hop and R&B. Thus, it's known as a major hub of the recording industry.
  • Atlanta has hosted and continues to host major sporting events--i.e. Final Four, Super Bowl, Chick-Fil-A Bowl, NBA All-Star Game, and above all else, the '96 Olympics.
  • Atlanta hasn't hosted the Real World, but has served as the location for multiple episodes of NEXT--the dating show on MTV. Other reality shows filmed here include Real Housewives of Atlanta (twice) and Being Bobby Brown.
  • In regards to TV, Atlanta has been the setting for Designing Women, Matlock, Real Housewives of Atlanta, and Meet the Browns (terrible show)
  • Its one of the larger TV media centers outside of New York and LA with CNN, Turner (which operates several stations), and The Weather Channel
  • Atlanta has been the setting for multiple movies--including Smokey and the Bandit, School Daze, Drumline, Gone with the Wind, and Driving Miss Daisy

...and Atlanta gets no attention from the mainstream media???

Old 10-01-2009, 07:40 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,305,934 times
Does TBclub still exist? Good lord this thread is a total piece of suck.

The "mainstream" is a homogenized, sanitized, plastic piece of fakery, with overhyped dreams, played-out illusions, and false realities. The "mainstream" killed Sci-fi and Saturday morning cartoons, the "mainstream" sold out smalltown radio and gave us an endless loop of Beyonce and Kelly Clark, and FINALLY...the "mainstream" gave us jerkwad talk radio pundits.

To heck with the "mainstream"! Give me free-lovin', tree-huggin', carefree livin' sub-culture any day of the week.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Does TBclub still exist? Good lord this thread is a total piece of suck.

The "mainstream" is a homogenized, sanitized, plastic piece of fakery, with overhyped dreams, played-out illusions, and false realities. The "mainstream" killed Sci-fi and Saturday morning cartoons, the "mainstream" sold out smalltown radio and gave us an endless loop of Beyonce and Kelly Clark, and FINALLY...the "mainstream" gave us jerkwad talk radio pundits.

To heck with the "mainstream"! Give me free-lovin', tree-huggin', carefree livin' sub-culture any day of the week.
Good points buuut..... I think you should put that to music. It'll be better than tardy 4 da pardy..

Old 10-02-2009, 04:08 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,305,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
Good points buuut..... I think you should put that to music. It'll be better than tardy 4 da pardy..
Ummm... I think I did that? See the part about smalltown radio with Beyonce and Kelly Clark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta