Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:19 PM

33 posts, read 107,216 times

Advertisements

Alright, first of all I would like to say that I was born and raised in Savannah, GA, graduated from high school there and then came up to Atlanta to attend Georgia Tech. Savannah had, and still has, very high crime rates, the education system is TERRIBLE, and there's only 33% White people in the city. Not only that, but the job market there is terrible as well. I was looking into what suburb of Atlanta to move to once I graduate from GT and get my CPA license. I've heard that Alpharetta (and most of northern-Atlanta suburbs) have the best educational systems in the state, and also have very low crime rates. I've also noticed that Alpharetta and Roswell were listed as one of the top places to raise your kids. I want my kids to have a better childhood than I did in Savannah, and don't want to have to worry about them getting shot or getting into drugs, so would you guys say that Alpharetta is a good place to live? Are the schools really as good as ranking websites say they are? How's the traffic? How would the commute from Alpharetta to Atlanta be for workdays? I'm sure I'll be able to afford the cost of living considering I'm graduating from GT and getting my CPA.

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 08:35 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,978,298 times
Alpharetta and Roswell are both nice, family friendly places, with very good schools. Traffic is an issue everywhere. If you are currently at GT, you should drive up on a weekend and check it out. I think you will find that while it might meet your needs down the road a bit, it isn't exactly the most exciting area to live for young single professionals.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:43 AM

33 posts, read 107,216 times
Where would you recommend a young single professional to live?

Old 04-03-2009, 08:55 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,216,195 times
I'm confused- are you saying you already have kids? If not..don't worry about school systems. You're just graduating college and you'll probably move at least a few times before having kids. I lived in Alpharetta briefly and it truly is a safe and clean area that is kid-friendly. However, it is completely boring for young professionals, even if you're married.

As a young single professional, you should look in Midtown, Buckhead, Highlands, Brookhaven, Vinings, Perimeter area.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:34 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,351,396 times
It's really a function of parents taking a big role in their children's development that determines what they get into. IIRC Walton High School in East Cobb has higher than average incidents of alcohol and drug abuse. It's also a well regarded school surrounded by massive suburban mansions that top 1M which should make for a very good safe school district. Of course if too many of the parents are more concerned by what color stone to redo their 800sq ft bathroom or keeping their high paying job to make the mortgage payments on their McMansion than taking care of their kids, then the kids tend to have the run of the town in cars their parents provide and plenty of spending money for whatever alcohol or drugs they prefer.

If the lack of white people is a concern for you (as mentioned by your critique of Savannah), then most areas in Atlanta may not be for you but you probably already know that as a function of going to Georgia Tech. For intown areas that have the non-diverse population that you're seeking, Buckhead may be as close as your going to get. Of course its more expensive and a bit quieter but that's why they all live there. My brother has an oversized 1bdr loft in Buckhead as well as 1yr old son now. Daycare alone is $1,300/mon(more than his 15yr mortgage in Gwinnett) and I'm guessing private school will be his only option unless he feels the need to move back to the distant suburbs.

I did one of my undergrads at GT and in the time since I've lived in Vinings, Snellville, Lilburn, Duluth, Marietta, and now Midtown while I'm working on my GT MBA and I've still got a few more years to 30 (Apparently I abhor re-signing leases). Every place has its own character and constraints and placing it all on a safe place for kids will hinder you far too soon unless your entire goal is to start raising kids straight out of school. Personally, I'm looking to buy in Midtown mostly b/c I've grown so weary of commuting everywhere and its convenient to just about anywhere at the same time. Street crime is an issue but you'll find that just about anywhere these days given the state of the economy. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for raising kids but I'm pretty much surrounded by young professionals. Assuming I stay in Atlanta and my income allows it, I'd like to buy in Buckhead eventually but the quality schools are going to be the expensive private ones.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:21 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,073,710 times
Alpharetta & Roswell are really GREAT areas! My daughters miss their school in Roswell and I miss GA a lot! You can't go wrong with Alpharetta if that is where you want to be.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:04 AM

5 posts, read 44,039 times
Alpharetta and what is now Milton are great, no complaints, good schools, been here for 17 years

Old 04-06-2009, 12:27 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,942,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Alpharetta and Roswell are both nice, family friendly places, with very good schools. Traffic is an issue everywhere. If you are currently at GT, you should drive up on a weekend and check it out. I think you will find that while it might meet your needs down the road a bit, it isn't exactly the most exciting area to live for young single professionals.
Actually, if traffic is a concern for you, I would take the test-drive to check out Alpharetta on a weekday around 5:30. You might as well see it at it's ugliest.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:40 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,978,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Actually, if traffic is a concern for you, I would take the test-drive to check out Alpharetta on a weekday around 5:30. You might as well see it at it's ugliest.
Hmmm, good point.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:29 PM

878 posts, read 2,739,671 times
I do the commute every day from Alpharetta to Midtown...traffic is overarated here...not bad at all....now in the morning, you must leave by 7 and it is 30 minutes...at night no more than 40 minutes depending on how far away from the 400 you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta