Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this question relevant or not in the 21st century?
Relevant? why? 13 54.17%
Not relevant? why not? 11 45.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 07:32 PM

5 posts, read 11,821 times

Advertisements

It depends on your age group as well....
I was watching my father(white male, UGA grad, grew up in segregated Atlanta) interact with my old chemistry teacher(black american, graduate of Xavier Univ., post-segregation era). They were both exceedingly polite to each other, but each held the other at arms length. There's still alot of bad blood down here but in our cities its starting to change. In Atlanta you will see many mixed couples, but they will be stared at a little. Its still new for this city that 30 years ago barely broke a million....

Im 19. I grew up in a desegregated atlanta. I attended public school, and it was diverse from the get-go but my generation, while seeing a difference in color with each other, usually stopped at that. It was normal for different races to hang out at my schools and at GSU you walk into a class or coffee shop and its just like my home suburb of gwinnett. So for you if your movin to the ATL depending on your age and yes, you race determines alot of things concerning ppl. But youll probably be comfortable in any of our 5 main counties.
Counties are the main thing/power here not cities, thats hard for many non georgians at first
ex. "Where do you live?" answer: "Clarkston" while correct unless they know where it is (which they very well may not) it would be better to answer "Clarkston, in Dekalb."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 07:36 PM

5 posts, read 11,821 times
**** man, you look at two issues the media has inflated.

Its in the little things how we talk, how we greet, how we act with people we want to respect, how we exchange glances when a New Yorker does something we find appallingly rude without realizing it, etc.
It doesn't matter that I might be in a polo, and he might be saggin his pants we get each other.

There are many subtlities with southerners watch southern whites, blacks and non southerners interact in various situations. watch their faces part. their eyes. Its not polite to point things out in southern culture just talk about you after you leave be aware.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:29 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelcarter2008 View Post
Again i dont mean to offend anyone. you seem a bit ticked off by some ppls replies. I think the proof is in the puddin as they say. two years...two years and no freinds? that has to say something about u southerners. as far the accent etc. that never bothered me.
Actually I'm not ticked off but just making the case that their is a double standard.I'm proud to be an American first,second, to be Southern and black.Its does not define me as a person but your experiences shape you based on the environment you are in.I never said that what the OP experienced is untrue.However it should be noted that when Southerners go up North are often treated the same indifference and isolation .

As far as 2 years and no friends,that could be a lot of factors.It could be simple as what neighborhood you live in .That's true as well up North.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:01 PM

642 posts, read 2,218,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
I think a better question would be Rural blacks and Urban blacks. Most blacks in the South tend to live in rural areas or smaller cities.. whereas the black population in the north is almost entirely urban and in very large cities. But I really don't see that much of a difference with urban black in Atlanta vs those in Washington, DC, Philly or New York.
What? I hope by urban and in very large cities you mean like within a 50-100 mile radius of one. A lot of Black up North live in the suburbs you know.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:57 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,520,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelcarter2008 View Post
Very ggod points guys. I must start off by saying that I didnt mean any disrespect to anyone that is from the south. I am just suggesting that it is weird down here. I spent 5 yrs in the navy and most of my frinds were white or asian and some hispanic and the few blacks were from big cities none of them were from the deep south. Whats strange to me that it wasn't by choice i'm from baltimore growing up, I didn't know a single person that wasn't black, it was just that they were the people in the Navy who were trying to go out and see the city(party!) and not sit in the dorms and drink or play video games. iIdo think there is something going on here though because, Ive been sometimes stero typed as a uppity negro. Ive even heard someone say I look like some who was born with a silver spoon in mouth lol! If they only knew looks can be deceiving. either way thats still sad because i wouldn't judge anyone like that i accept ppl for who they are. I don't care what color creed or sexaul preference plan and simple. Did anyone see the movie I love you man? Well in that movie the guy doesn't have any friends so he has to hang wround his wife all the time I don't want to be that guy thats all i'm saying.
Real talk Mike, you need to change the name of this topic cuzzo. It should say Well rounded Experienced Blacks and Close Minded Insecure Blacks. Thats what this topic should say, so if you can get with Uncle Greg or Georgia and have them fix that it would be dope!! Cause it ain't a southern or northern thing.....

Ok so yesterday I am in the breakroom of the building eating lunch right. And one of the sistas in the breakroom is talking about some dude she met at the club in the Airforce. She spoke about how well he treats her, and how nice he is to her, but said she doesn't want to date him anymore because he speaks properly and dresses like Kanye West. She then said she needed a real n!99@ who would not make her feel dumb by being all educated. ....this chick is in her 30s.

In my mind I was like damn??? Dude has himself together and gets no play for it. She would rather be with a loser then dude in the airforce. The sad thing is in the black community blacks like her do exist. I really don't like being around these type of people. Again mike I totally understand what you are dealing with, but I telling you man you should not move. You just gotta be patient, which is super hard when trying to make friends.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post

As far as 2 years and no friends,that could be a lot of factors.It could be simple as what neighborhood you live in .That's true as well up North.
Dude didnt make any friends because he has a girlfriend....Ditch the girlfriend and you will have plenty of FRIENDS....that are girls of course. It worked for me here in Atlanta. I don't have any male friends here.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:45 PM

293 posts, read 1,106,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
Dude didnt make any friends because he has a girlfriend....Ditch the girlfriend and you will have plenty of FRIENDS....that are girls of course. It worked for me here in Atlanta. I don't have any male friends here.
That is too funny!!
I don't think this should be about northern and southern blacks...as I recall, northern blacks are actually DESCENDANTS of southern blacks because of a thing called the Great Migration back in the 1920s? Oops, maybe I shouldn't have gone there...

Old 04-09-2009, 09:51 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
cooly, you never cease to amaze me...LOL...

Between you and Crazy Virgo...aww man.....

Old 04-10-2009, 10:38 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
What? I hope by urban and in very large cities you mean like within a 50-100 mile radius of one. A lot of Black up North live in the suburbs you know.
Yeah but the suburbs are still urban. In the south you have millions of blacks who actually live out in the country or were raised in small towns out in the country before moving to places like Atlanta.

When I lived in Ohio and the Midwest you rarely saw any blacks up there that weren't either from large cities or suburbs of large cities.

That's a huge cultural difference right there as rural and city cultures or very different whether you're talking about white or black or north or south.

But one thing the OP should find comfort in living in Atlanta is that if you look hard enough you should not have any trouble finding plenty of blacks from the Northeast, Midwest or even Cali. There are thousands of blacks from every corner of the U.S. living in Atlanta. So many have moved here in the past years.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
cooly, you never cease to amaze me...LOL...

Between you and Crazy Virgo...aww man.....
What! The guy said he had trouble making FRIENDS....Thats what he said, BUT he also has baggage. A man can only sprint so fast with 130 lbs tied around his ankles. I am also a Virgo btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta