Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 12:10 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Barnes had four years, but that is just it. Only four years. He did push for a commuter rail, but was voted out of office. That is something you have to consider.
So that tells me two things:

- He didn't use his term productively. 4 years is a long time when you have a majority of your party in charge in the legislature. To make excuses and now say....I need another 4 year term to do all the things I should have done during the first four years but didn't...seems rather arrogant to me. He also seems to have a bit of a messiah complex, but I didn't live here when he was in office and don't know him well. He got beaten by Zell in 1990 and I do remember that race. Lest anyone think I can't support a Democrat...I love Zell.

- The voters held him accountable for not getting the job done OR they didn't agree with his vision of where to take the state in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 12:12 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
So that tells me two things:

- He didn't use his term productively. 4 years is a long time when you have a majority of your party in charge in the legislature. To make excuses and now say....I need another 4 year term to do all the things I should have done during the first four years but didn't...seems rather arrogant to me.

- The voters held him accountable for not getting the job done OR they didn't agree with his vision of where to take the state in the first place.
Perdue flat out said he wouldn't support public transit. For that I am very disturbed.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Perdue flat out said he wouldn't support public transit. For that I am very disturbed.
Right, and I understand that, but my point is how much influence over that does the governor actually have in GA. If the people of Gwinnett County got together and put a 1% MARTA local option tax on the ballot, Purdue would have nothing to do with it.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:57 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
Quote:
Right, and I understand that, but my point is how much influence over that does the governor actually have in GA. If the people of Gwinnett County got together and put a 1% MARTA local option tax on the ballot, Purdue would have nothing to do with it.
Governor Purdue wouldn't have any political power, so you are definitely right on that one. But dang, would it hurt him to provide some "Henry Grady" style emotional leadership on the issue?

What's stopping him from speaking on the issue of a comprehensive transportation package that marries up the best of roads, transit, and better less wasteful development? What's stopping him from traveling throughout the state and stumping for a vision that says that Atlanta's future is indeed Georgia's future? That's been my jab all along with him and the leadership in the metro Atlanta area.

There are politicians, and then there are leaders. I don't know about you, but it's pretty obvious to me which side of the coin Purdue is on.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Governor Purdue wouldn't have any political power, so you are definitely right on that one. But dang, would it hurt him to provide some "Henry Grady" style emotional leadership on the issue?

What's stopping him from speaking on the issue of a comprehensive transportation package that marries up the best of roads, transit, and better less wasteful development? What's stopping him from traveling throughout the state and stumping for a vision that says that Atlanta's future is indeed Georgia's future? That's been my jab all along with him and the leadership in the metro Atlanta area.

There are politicians, and then there are leaders. I don't know about you, but it's pretty obvious to me which side of the coin Purdue is on.
Understand your point, but it's a different issue. The statement was made about how great that Barnes was running for Gov because now we'd finally be able to get MARTA extended to other places....or something to that effect.

My point is that no matter who is Gov, he/she has very little direct control over where MARTA provides service. Yes, they could use the bully pulpit to help influence the citizens and the legislature, but then that brings me to my second point....why didn't Barnes do that when he was Gov the first time?

Barnes had his shot and couldn't/didn't deliver for whatever reason(s). Frankly, I'd rather give someone else a turn than warm up the same old leftovers.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:06 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
Quote:
Understand your point, but it's a different issue. The statement was made about how great that Barnes was running for Gov because now we'd finally be able to get MARTA extended to other places....or something to that effect.

My point is that no matter who is Gov, he/she has very little direct control over where MARTA provides service. Yes, they could use the bully pulpit to help influence the citizens and the legislature, but then that brings me to my second point....why didn't Barnes do that when he was Gov the first time?

Barnes had his shot and couldn't/didn't deliver for whatever reason(s). Frankly, I'd rather give someone else a turn than warm up the same old leftovers.
Point understood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta