Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 08:48 AM

3 posts, read 9,793 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

As many people have said, I have really enjoyed reading the advice that many people have given to those of us contemplating relocating to Georgia. I visited Atlanta during college and fell in love with the city...now that I find myself having lived in central Ohio my entire life, I feel that I'm ready for a change. A little about me - I am a female, mid-20s, planning to relo to the Atlanta area this summer. I'll be moving by myself, so safety is a priority. I am definitely planning to rent, as I'm not sure how long I'll be staying in/near the city. I'm going down with the intention of staying for a year or two, but we'll see what happens there.

My dilemma is that my current company will allow me to relocate to the Atlanta area and keep my job, but I would need to work out of one of their facilities. Unfortunately, the two facilities I'd be most likely to be placed in are located in Buford and McDonough. There is a slight chance I might have the opportunity to work out of a building in Alpharetta or Marietta, but the other two locations are more likely. I would love to live within the Atlanta city limits, but I think the commute would be pretty unbearable to either Buford or McDonough - am I right? Are there any cities you would recommend near Buford or McDonough that would be fun/entertaining for a single girl in her mid-20s? Would one be a more preferable location than the other? I've lived in the suburbs my whole life, so I'm not opposed to that lifestyle...but I would definitely prefer to live somewhere near people close to my own age, who aren't all married with kids! Haha. It would be great if I could land somewhere with a reasonable commute to the city for weekend exploring and adventires, as well.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 08:58 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
McDonough wouldn't be too bad of a commute, as you'd be going against traffic. Buford would be a reverse commute too, but it'd be longer and it's on 85 which can be pretty crappy even in off-hours.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:15 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
In general (exceptions may apply), you will find more and better options for you on the northside of Atlanta. If you want to be inside the city limits, then you'll have many more choices north (and possibly east) of dowtown. Buford is northeast of the city and (in general) it's a more stable area than McDonough which is south of downtown and adjacent to some sketchy areas.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:44 AM

840 posts, read 2,086,474 times
I personally Like McDonugh over buford becuase easier to travel on 75 south than it is 85 North and if you are living in the city you will have a easier commute to McD.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:02 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
McDonough is a 30 minute drive from the center of Downtown Atlanta...if you don't mind a long commute then it's an easy one - against the majority of traffic. Buford is a 45 minute drive from Downtown Atlanta, and is also a reverse commute.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:02 PM

Thanks for all your replies. If I chose to live in the city, I was looking at Midtown, Va-Hi, potentially Buckhead and Decatur...any thoughts on commuting from those locations? Any other suggestions?

Is it totally pointless to consider places around Buford/Suwanee, given the criteria I listed in my original post? Thank you again!

Old 04-11-2009, 09:38 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,113 times
I'm not sure how many 20-somethings are here, but you might want to check out the area around Suwanee Town Center (corner of Buford Hwy and L'ville Suwanee). Cool park with restaurants, etc, great bike trails.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:19 AM

165 posts, read 548,771 times
You'll be fine commuting against traffic to reach McD. If you lived here though, you'd get bored out of your mind since it's a bedroom community. You'll have a 45-60 commute to reach McD from VA Highlands or Atlantic Station.

You'll want to live closer to your work though. The 50-60 mile commute will drain you and your wallet overtime...Keep in mind another fuel crisis will be reached easily -- especially with hurricane interruptions to our pipeline. You could maybe get by living in an apt. at McD or Stockbridge and then hit the city during the evening/weekend. There's also some new complexes being built down near Tanger Outlet as well. Regardless, just expand your friend-network and you'll be fine with whatever you select -- just expect to commute long distances for anything in atlanta.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,249 times
I moved here from Cleveland Ohio in 1992 after college. I love Atlanta and will never leave it. You are making a great choice! If I were you, I would chose to rent in VA Highlands. Close access to 75/85. Your commute will suck but you will love where you live! At least you will be going against traffic! Good luck to you!

Old 04-13-2009, 11:43 AM

Thanks again for your replies. I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions!

I'm debating keeping my current job and moving closer to Buford or McDonough at first, then if I'm happy in Atlanta, I can start to apply for some jobs closer to the city when my lease is close to expiring. Hopefully the job market will take a turn for the better by then! If I choose that option, I'm leaning more toward starting near Buford, because I've heard better things about that area in terms of things to do for 20-somethings...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta