Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 08:06 AM

254 posts, read 1,054,196 times

Advertisements

We are looking at houses online in Roswell and some are in Fulton county and some are in Cobb..are schools better in one?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 05:03 PM

245 posts, read 649,732 times
Default not really

I saw somewhere recently (maybe the AJC) a list of the top public schools in the metro. Both Roswell high schools (Centennial & Roswell) are in the top 5, as is Walton (in east Cobb). No real difference.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:10 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,603,828 times
I agree, there is probably very little difference.

Socio-economics are probably just about identical, and right now in Georgia, for the most part, that is very closely tied to school quality, for better or worse.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:44 AM

254 posts, read 1,054,196 times
thanks so much

Old 04-02-2007, 05:59 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,526,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I agree, there is probably very little difference.

Socio-economics are probably just about identical, and right now in Georgia, for the most part, that is very closely tied to school quality, for better or worse.
I rather doubt that (as far as Georgia is concerned, anyway). Socio-economic parity is probably the case in North Fulton and East Cobb, but not Georgia as a whole.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:58 AM

You are right -- I should have said Metro Atlanta and the truth is, that unfortunately, as shown in DeKalb, all black schools with the same socio-economic mix as mixed or all white schools seem to have lower test scores.

But in Cobb and N. Fulton, the higher the family income the higher the test scores are going to be.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:13 AM

563 posts, read 2,766,198 times
lastminutemom,

With all due respect, please don't generalize like that. Not all black schools have low test scores, and as a black educator I take offense to that.

Just off the top of my head, I know for a fact that Compton Elem. in Cobb is a diverse school with similar SES to Seaborn Lee in S. Fulton. (I'm familiar with those 2 schools b/c I know people with kids in each school)

Seaborn Lee (a darn near all black school) outperforms Compton in almost every area. And last I checked, Seaborn Lee is like 97 percent black.

I wouldn't be offended if you said some black schools have lower test scores in comparison to diverse or white schools, because we all know that's true and the rationale behind that is a Pandora's box that I don't wish to open. However, when you make sweeping generalizations, I feel the need to speak up as a black parent and educator. Your statement came off as saying that the quality of education in all black schools is inferior to those in white or more diverse schools.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:15 AM

563 posts, read 2,766,198 times
Back on topic, the schools in Roswell on either side (Cobb/Fulton) are comparable...there really isn't MUCH difference.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:54 AM

Dove Diva

I certainly didn't mean all... and I am not sure how that word got in their, I must have editted a thought and not proofread, I am sorry.

I certainly know of many high performing all-black schools, regardless of their socio-economic level. In DeKalb, though, if you take out the schools of choice, you do have a significant acheivement gap, even controlling for socio-economics.

I also am not a big believer that teaching is the only thing that matters in any school -- teachers simply cannot do it alone (regardless of what our politicians would have us believe). So, even when I have concerns about a school, I don't believe the root of the problem lies with the teachers, know what I mean.

No offense was meant -- and I am not a fan of generalizations.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:38 PM

128 posts, read 213,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Dove Diva

I certainly didn't mean all... and I am not sure how that word got in their, I must have editted a thought and not proofread, I am sorry.

I certainly know of many high performing all-black schools, regardless of their socio-economic level. In DeKalb, though, if you take out the schools of choice, you do have a significant acheivement gap, even controlling for socio-economics.

I also am not a big believer that teaching is the only thing that matters in any school -- teachers simply cannot do it alone (regardless of what our politicians would have us believe). So, even when I have concerns about a school, I don't believe the root of the problem lies with the teachers, know what I mean.

No offense was meant -- and I am not a fan of generalizations.
I just made a post concerning generalizing the metro area. I think sometimes its too easy to lump any area in one category due to race. Osborne, while for the most part located in one of America's most elite suburbs, is a very underperforming school and I know several friends whom have attended from 2000-2004 and all lament on how ghetto that school it.

But, sad to say, the stereotype holds true in parts of Dekalb Co., even despite economic background. I was quite surprised that Stephenson, a relatively newer HS in a very affluent, mostly black suburb (Lithonia/Stone Mtn.), is a consistently underperforming school. Shocked me.

However, if u take Tri-Cities, right in the middle of whats considered hood in Atl, that is a great magnet school and has an exceptional music program. I attended college at FAMU with several graduates of Tri-Cities, all of which were very intellegent, high-performing scholars and musicians that have gone on to be very productive in life.

But back to the OP.........generally, even tho the Northside is divided amongst nearly 7 counties, the demographic is almost identical, regarding income.....upper middle class to wealthy, mostly white, but substantial pockets of diversity all across the North Metro. Also, a good number of North Metro residents are transplants from more liberal-minded, cosmopolitan areas like Cali and the American NE......so those attitudes reflect in the schools and PTAs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta