Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 03:41 PM

15 posts, read 33,136 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are getting closer to our move date to the Atlanta area. After weeks of research, we have narrowed down the list of elementary schools to a few in East Cobb and some in North Fulton. Of anyone can give some good advice, we'd really appreciate it. Here's our situation...our son will be in third grade next year, and he has high-functioning autism. He is currently mainstreamed into a regular class, and then he goes to resource for a small part of the day. We are trying to find the best school for him...one with a great special education department, because his current school in Texas is fantastic!!! He thrives in a structured but loving environment, where peers are tolerant and accepting. We're really excited about moving to Georgia, and we're hopeful that the school situation will be a positive one.

The East Cobb elementary schools that we are interested in are:

Mountain View
Garrison Mill
Addison
Murdock
Tritt

For Fulton County, we're interested in:

Roswell North
River Eves
Statebridge Crossing

If anyone has information, advice or thoughts, we would REALLY appreciate it. We just want to find the best environment for our son. Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 04:21 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP4Mom View Post
Hi,

My husband and I are getting closer to our move date to the Atlanta area. After weeks of research, we have narrowed down the list of elementary schools to a few in East Cobb and some in North Fulton. Of anyone can give some good advice, we'd really appreciate it. Here's our situation...our son will be in third grade next year, and he has high-functioning autism. He is currently mainstreamed into a regular class, and then he goes to resource for a small part of the day. We are trying to find the best school for him...one with a great special education department, because his current school in Texas is fantastic!!! He thrives in a structured but loving environment, where peers are tolerant and accepting. We're really excited about moving to Georgia, and we're hopeful that the school situation will be a positive one.

The East Cobb elementary schools that we are interested in are:

Mountain View
Garrison Mill
Addison
Murdock
Tritt

For Fulton County, we're interested in:

Roswell North
River Eves
Statebridge Crossing

If anyone has information, advice or thoughts, we would REALLY appreciate it. We just want to find the best environment for our son. Thank you so much!!
Another poster could comment/chime in about special education department/autistic resources at each of the schools...

However, I can say that all of the schools on your list are great in the other areas (curriculum, academic, parental involvement, etc.). All of the schools feed into excellent middle and high schools as well.

All things being equal, if I had to choose among the schools for overall "feel", environment, community, "welcoming", and comfort, I would choose:

1. Addison
2. Mountain View
3. River Eves
4. Roswell North
5. Murdock
6. Statebridge Crossing

I hope this helps a little. Good Luck!

Old 04-10-2009, 04:26 PM

Thank you so much!!! I appreciate your input. Have a good one!!

Old 04-10-2009, 09:45 PM

697 posts, read 3,021,331 times
We're in the River Eves district, and our borderline-Aspergers son attended River Eves for three years (all mainstream classroom) and is at Holcomb Bridge Middle School now. We also have a daughter in fourth grade there now and a daughter who will start kindergarten there next year. Overall, we've been extremely happy with River Eves. Our son thrived there and is doing fantastic at HBMS now. Most of the staff at REES were understanding and willing to work with him, and he really never had any problems with peers (but he also works very hard to fit in and get along). The special education teacher assigned to work with him was also very helpful and easy to work with. His IEP from our previous district was adopted essentially as-is, with one major exception -- River Eves (and from what I've heard, most other Fulton County elementaries) doesn't offer any sort of small-group socials skills counseling or anything like it. I've heard from other parents who have kids with Aspergers or high-functioning autism that they weren't satisfied that their children's needs could be met at REES, and who moved their kids to private schools as a result.

Our son's IEP focused on classroom and testing accommodations designed to allow him to function in the mainstream classroom, and to provide "safety valves" for situations that threatened to get out of control. This generally worked well for him, but might not be enough for other kids. Also, fifth-graders at River Eves change teachers for each subject -- our son was able to cope with this because we worked extensively with the teachers and our son to prepare him for it, but it might be too much for some.

The current principal at REES is only in his second full year there, and his second full year as a principal (after several years as an assistant principal at Holcomb Bridge Middle), so there are still likely to be some changes as he works to make the school what he wants it to be. As with anyone considering moving into a school district, I'd strongly recommend visiting and meeting with the principal and if possible some of the special education staff to get your own feel for what it's like.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:22 AM

Thanks!! I will definitely check that one out.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:08 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times
I would highly recommend Tritt for any learning difference. They are well known in East Cobb for excellence and acceptance in that regard.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:52 PM

Thanks...I will definitely keep that in mind.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:54 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
You may also wish to browse the special topic thread we created just for schools which is at the top of this room - found here: //www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...-one-keep.html

Old 04-18-2009, 02:11 PM

Thank you...that link is very informative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: