Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 08:36 AM

4 posts, read 22,024 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My husband and I are looking to relocate to GA. We will both transfer with our jobs, so that is not relevant in our move. His office will be in Alpharetta, with an option to work from home (alot) and mine is in Atlanta (same option for work from home).

We are looking at Powder Springs.... Any comments?

We want to be near the city, but in a nice community. Looking for a 4 bed, 2 bath (min) and want some land ..... not a ton of land, but dont want a subdivision where we are on top of one another either.

We've considered - Powder Springs, Hiram, Alpharetta, Roswell and Marietta - any other suggestions?

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 08:27 PM

Location: Work in Gwinnett, Hall, North Fulton & Forsyth Counties
5 posts, read 20,776 times
Have you already moved to Georgia? Moderator cut: advertising If you don't want to have a small lot, you will need an older home or buy a home further out like in Forsyth County. This includes Alpharetta which is a very nice community. I am over in Gwinnett County which is growing and nice as well. The taxes are much higher in Fulton County where most of Roswell is. The city of Atlanta is also in Fulton County, but because it is a very long county. Moderator cut: advertising We have lived in the north Atlanta area for over 35 years!

Old 03-30-2007, 11:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,770,712 times
I've lived in Powder Springs for around 12 years.

Like most areas in metro Atlanta, it's experiencing rapid growth. Some areas of the town have a growing problem with teens that wonder around getting into trouble, while other areas are still ok. Like most of Atlanta, it flip-flops.. you can have a neighborhood "go bad" within a year or two, but then turn around and get good again, etc.

Powder Springs itself has a very small downtown area of only a few buildings (antique shops, etc), but 5 miles West is Hiram where along highway 278 there's explosive growth (and traffic) with tons of new stores and restaurants being built in the area every month. The subdivisions out there are getting more cookie-cutter with less land. Powder Springs and just north of Powder Springs is where you'll find more older homes with land I think.

Marietta varies WIDELY from ethnic areas, Hispanic, to white Baptist Yuppies, to large homes and tiny town homes, so it just depends on where in Marietta you're talking about. Roswell is too congested and close to the city (for me). Alpharetta is more "white yuppy" in many spots, but you have to deal with driving on GA400 to and from Atlanta and traffic is VERY bad during rush hours along that road.

Try looking at first in the Powder Springs area, but not RIGHT IN Powder Springs - explore the area just north of the town and go from there.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:40 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,273,759 times
We just bought in Canton at Harmony at the Lakes. The commute to your offices would be similar to the commute from Powder Springs, and the area is just gorgeous. You can get wooded lots with separation from the neighbors, and there's a lake, clubhouse, pool, and walking trails all within the community. It's about a mile off 575 at exit 16, or you can get off at exit 11 and take the winding backroads for about 5 miles (my preference).

Bob

Old 04-12-2007, 09:13 PM

15 posts, read 100,613 times
We have a Marietta Address but live closer to Powder Springs. We love the area. Our Church is on Macland Rd in PS so we are in the area a lot. We live on 10 acres with a pond and wetlands. Powder Springs is in West Cobb and has been pretty protected from congestion.

PS to Alphertta is a pretty long comute on those days going to main office. But in PS area you are on Silver Comet trail (very nice and very long hiking and bicycle trail) and have some of the best schools around (and some of the worst). North of Macland Road in PS you will have 3 excellent schools within a block of each other - elementary, jr high and high school, the last two of them completed this year and opportunity to find 5 acre lots if you are talking that much.

To get into Atlanta, PS has a direct route, no turns to get to the Atlanta Airport, I20 and I75. James PKWy turns into Camp Creek and crosses I20 with connects to I75 and terminates at the airport. Alpharetta is a bit more complicated.

Earlier post about Hirum is right. Great shopping, good places to eat, shop, really growing. Lots of land between PS and Hirum undeveloped. Marietta not far from PS, maybe 12-15 minutes. Take Roswell rd out of Marietta (Hwy 120) to Alpheretta only way I have ever gone. Don't confuse with Roswell Rd out of Atlanta. Powder Springs take Powder Springs Road to Marietta (or take Macland Rd to Powder Springs Road), PS road turns into 120 loop in Marietta, exit onto Roswell Rd to Roswell and then on to Alpharetta. Easy. You will find short cuts and or long cuts with much less traffic, as I do.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:25 AM

4 posts, read 15,166 times
Beware of the Quilt Murals.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:05 AM

676 posts, read 1,264,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I've lived in Powder Springs for around 12 years.

Like most areas in metro Atlanta, it's experiencing rapid growth. Some areas of the town have a growing problem with teens that wonder around getting into trouble, while other areas are still ok. Like most of Atlanta, it flip-flops.. you can have a neighborhood "go bad" within a year or two, but then turn around and get good again, etc.

Powder Springs itself has a very small downtown area of only a few buildings (antique shops, etc), but 5 miles West is Hiram where along highway 278 there's explosive growth (and traffic) with tons of new stores and restaurants being built in the area every month. The subdivisions out there are getting more cookie-cutter with less land. Powder Springs and just north of Powder Springs is where you'll find more older homes with land I think.

Marietta varies WIDELY from ethnic areas, Hispanic, to white Baptist Yuppies, to large homes and tiny town homes, so it just depends on where in Marietta you're talking about. Roswell is too congested and close to the city (for me). Alpharetta is more "white yuppy" in many spots, but you have to deal with driving on GA400 to and from Atlanta and traffic is VERY bad during rush hours along that road.

Try looking at first in the Powder Springs area, but not RIGHT IN Powder Springs - explore the area just north of the town and go from there.
We live north of the town off Corner Road in a subdivision. We have access to everything we want plus we do not have to use the interstate when either of us goes to the airport or when my wife goes to work. Sometimes it is good to avoid I-75.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:21 PM

75 posts, read 380,856 times
Try Dallas ga. Just north of Hiram,

Old 12-07-2007, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,600 times
Has anyone heard what new stores are coming to Hiram, like Lowes perhaps, or some more upscale restuarants?

Old 12-07-2007, 01:54 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,770,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunn24 View Post
Has anyone heard what new stores are coming to Hiram, like Lowes perhaps, or some more upscale restuarants?
Sunn,

Typically, it's best to start a new subject thread for something like this. Many people won't read this as the original post from the people wanting to move to Powder Springs is from back in MARCH.

I'll answer the question though. I live in Powder Springs and work for a construction-related company that *sometimes* hears the rumors first.

Lowes is looking around Hiram. Good chance they'll build. Where exactly yet hasn't been confirmed. They REALLY like to locate near Home Depots to suck up a lot of their unhappy customers, and since there's a Home Depot now in Hiram as well as Powder Springs, I'm sure they're just going for that perfect parcel of land in-between the two.

As far as "upscale" restaurants - that can mean different things to different people. In West Cobb/East Paulding where it's a bit more rural, heck, a place that has cloth napkins instead of paper might be "upscale" for some. I think though that most of what you're going to continue to see out this way are the chain restaurants like what we already have: Longhorn, Jim 'N Nicks BBQ, Chili's, O'Charlies, etc. There still isn't a Red Lobster in Hiram yet and I have heard twice in two years that they've been eyeing the area. Any higher-end establishments will come as privately owned places that you will most likely find in small storefronts in the old downtown areas of Hiram or Dallas.

As you know, Best Buy and Circuit City have both just opened "reduced sized" versions of their stores in Hiram. People are still asking for a Barnes and Noble or Borders Bookstore, and I'm sure one or the other will follow, though I've not heard officially that either of them are. Costco once toyed with the idea, but they pretty much decided to only open near or close to interstates and/or very highly dense areas, and that didn't pan out (yet) for the Hiram area, so Staples office supplies opened in the slot that Costco was rumored to have been looking at. BJ's warehouse is looking at the area, but frankly most folks around here think they stink so I don't see them doing THAT well if they do. I had heard that lots of folks are emailing "Whole Foods" organic markets to open a place. We'll see. Last, a major "regular" grocery store is eyeing the area, but I believe they're still deciding on whether to get space in an existing strip mall recently built, or, build their own.

In other words, the Highway 278/Thornton Road area toward Hiram isn't done being (over)developed yet. Yes, traffic will get worse. No, there won't be a Four Seasons restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta