Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 01:46 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakilaTheHun View Post
Not to start a huge debate, but I'd disagree with that to a large extent and would argue that you yourself as using Southern stereotypes to make your point. I'm originally from Tennessee, lived in Atlanta for a few years, and I have also lived in the Carolinas, Baltimore and now Northern Virginia. I know of the type of people you refer to, but I think they are a very small minority in the South.

I think it's very arguable that there are a significant number of Northerners who have a superiority complex. In DC, I can remember conversations with people who make fun of Southerners with almost no awareness of the fact that I'm from the South. My accent isn't strong and I don't go around flying Dixie all over the Capital, so maybe they would have never expected it.

I've also gotten the "people in Appalachia have no teeth" bit (without any suggestion that it was merely a joke), likewise, with no awareness of the fact that I'm originally from the Appalachia region. What else have I gotten ... there's the "oh, you must like Country/Western", since apparently all people in Tennessee like Country music (I do like Johnny Cash, but that's about it).

There are entire websites dedicated to making fun of the South. Many Northerners routinely blame the South for Bush. The media plays into crap with the "red state vs. blue state" stuff, despite the fact that voting patterns are more closely correlated to development patterns (urban, suburban, rural) than regionalism. While I do admittedly enjoy "offensive comedy" at times, Family Guy's portrayal of the South really said more about horribly warped Northern perceptions of the South than anything.

The person who suggested that Southerners are the only socially acceptable group to stereotype and make fun of is mostly on. Though, it seems to be more of a Northeast thing; I've actually never encountered it in the Midwest, but maybe I never spent enough time there.

When I encounter Southern stereotypes, it doesn't really offend me personally because oftentimes the people making them don't even realize I'm Southern (since I don't fit into their stereotype). But it does suggest to me that many people in the North/Northeast have very antiquated views of the South and many people make important decisions based on these misconceptions.

Certainly, I don't think all people from the North/Northeast hold these misconceptions. Likewise, there are a lot of people from the South who hold strange misconceptions about Northerners. There's ignorance everywhere in the world.

Those who have frequently travelled to the South seem to be more aware that the South (just like the rest of the nation) has changed since 1930. Just as Southerners who have spent a good deal of time in the North seem to be less likely to have bizarre stereotypes about life in the North. But I do encounter a large number of people who have never been to the South and have very outdated ideas about culture there. As a result, they often carry an attitude of cultural superiority with them.
As a southerner the thing that bothers me the most is how acceptable it is to sterotype and denigrate the south. NO other region or group of people get the abuse that is hurled at the south. Most of these perceptions are what drive transplants to think that it is perfectly OK to put down our culture or customs with little regard to who they might offend. I just dont see people moving to other parts of the country and doing this so openly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 01:57 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,641,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
I see that you are a native Atlantan like myself. Have you run into transplants that comment on your accent?
I have not had any transplants comment on my accent or dialect. In east TN, I was in the role of transplant and I had some natives mistake my mother and I as "Yankees" and that was an eye opener for me (a deep Southerner being called this by upper southerners). I have a friend from CT that told me that I didn't have the Southern accent but I told him that I did have one (because I'm from here) but it wasn't the one that he was looking for. When people speak to me they don't hear the drawl or twang but I do use Southern terms so that should help them some.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:36 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
As a southerner the thing that bothers me the most is how acceptable it is to sterotype and denigrate the south.
My theory:

The fact that the south as a region has its own culture (something many regions of the US really don't have) probably makes it an easy target.

Also, most other areas of the country which might fit that description (the east and west coasts) are favorites of the media, and are thus somewhat immune from being stereotyped. Those are the folks doing the stereotyping.

Of course, the fact that the south tried to split away isn't forgotten in the north, either. That might be part of it.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:51 PM

384 posts, read 1,580,662 times
Quote:
As a southerner the thing that bothers me the most is how acceptable it is to sterotype and denigrate the south. NO other region or group of people get the abuse that is hurled at the south
At least y'all have it a little easier in the wealthier parts of the region like Atlanta, though, because you have the option of claiming "New South" to deflect the stereotypes onto poorer parts of the south that an "outsider" would likely never visit, like Alabama.
Believe me, coming from Alabama, I can't visit any part of the country (including much of the southeast) without hearing how bad my home state sucks and how every white person living there must be an uneducated, inbred klan member in a broken-down trailer who spends every day looking for black churches to bomb.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:07 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatex View Post
At least y'all have it a little easier in the wealthier parts of the region like Atlanta, though, because you have the option of claiming "New South" to deflect the stereotypes onto poorer parts of the south that an "outsider" would likely never visit, like Alabama.
Believe me, coming from Alabama, I can't visit any part of the country (including much of the southeast) without hearing how bad my home state sucks and how every white person living there must be an uneducated, inbred klan member in a broken-down trailer who spends every day looking for black churches to bomb.
I was born and raised in Atlanta but ALL of my moms family are from Montgomery and live better than most I know here. I've seen first hand from going to school at Jacksonville State in Alabama that there are some fine folks in Alabama. Now there are some big rednecks too but show me ONE state that doesnt have the rural hick types! NO way Alabama is any worse than other states, just stereotypical BS!

Old 04-15-2009, 07:29 PM

384 posts, read 1,580,662 times
Exactly, but visit the Miami area and take an unofficial survey of what people there think of Alabama or Mississippi or even rural Georgia and north Florida. Some of them seriously think we don't wear shoes or have electricity or indoor plumbing.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:02 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
As a southerner the thing that bothers me the most is how acceptable it is to sterotype and denigrate the south. NO other region or group of people get the abuse that is hurled at the south. Most of these perceptions are what drive transplants to think that it is perfectly OK to put down our culture or customs with little regard to who they might offend.
Oh please...here we go again with the inferiority complex. People all over the country take crap for regional stereotypes.

First, every region or state has its own stereotypes, some earned, that they deal with. New Jersey and New York deal with the "guido", wise guy, Sapranos stereotype. Boston deals with the Kennedy "pahk the cah" stereotype and does anyone remember the New Hampshire stereotypes in the show with Bob Newhart (brother Darrell...other brother Darrell)? I grew up in a part of Queens, NY where some of the NY stereotypes were definitely manifested, but not everyone was that way by any means.

Frankly, Jeff Foxworthy (an Atlanta native) made a great living making fun of southern stereotypes, and many of them were exaggerated but with a basis in truth. Let's face it, some of the "you know you're a redneck when" jokes were based in some fact. Not all southerners talk or act that way, but they didn't come out of thin air.

Let's also not forget the stereotypes seen during the 1960s when folks like Wallace stood on the steps of the University of Alabama and other buildings declaring "segregation forever"....people don't forget that stuff too easily.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:24 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
I keep thinking of Congressman Lynn Westmoreland on Stephen Colbert. Some southerners don't help the cause too much.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:30 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I keep thinking of Congressman Lynn Westmoreland on Stephen Colbert. Some southerners don't help the cause too much.

Yeah, but give the guy a break....we're talking Colbert....probably one of the most brilliant guys in enewstainment today.....

Old 04-16-2009, 08:56 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
I can't help but think the bible belt aspect of the culture makes the south more of a target. Those of us raised in the south know how much our Christianity was not something relegated to the introspective. Evangelicalism calls us to live our Christianity publicly "don't hide your light under a bushel.... you are salt and light.... go and make disciples." These biblical instructions were foundational to many of us.

I see the media outlets on the two coasts at complete odds with this and one of the reasons there is such a divide not only north to south, but one of the big reasons red states are red. This combined with educational systems that don't rank as well in national scores is more of the reason the region gets denigrated, not its roots in the Civil War as rcsteiner believes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta