Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 11:34 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,203 times

Advertisements

I was curious so I checked.

Based on 2008 Census numbers, Forsyth's population of 168,090 - 90% white, 4.6 % asian, 4% black, 8.5% hispanic. Compare this to 2000 when the county population was 98,407 - 95.05% White, 0.70% Black, 0.80% Asian, 5.6% hispanic. Going farther back, the population was just 44,083 in 1990 so the majority of population has moved there in the last 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 11:09 PM

5 posts, read 16,030 times
Why are so many people always looking for ways to divide and NOT to join? It is baffling to me ... really. Slavery and all that nonsense will NEVER exist in the United States again... the Mexicans are insuring that fate does not come to pass. Yes, the Mexicans are superb at procreating. I’m from San Francisco, CA… so all this race stuff is pretty new to me. Oh my God!

Old 03-06-2010, 11:14 PM

5 posts, read 16,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
I was curious so I checked.

Based on 2008 Census numbers, Forsyth's population of 168,090 - 90% white, 4.6 % asian, 4% black, 8.5% hispanic. Compare this to 2000 when the county population was 98,407 - 95.05% White, 0.70% Black, 0.80% Asian, 5.6% hispanic. Going farther back, the population was just 44,083 in 1990 so the majority of population has moved there in the last 20 years.
GREAT that you underscored that integration and migration is taking place. Obama lost GA by less than 4%. That infers that quite a number of ethnically white people were voting heavily to realize his Presidency regardless of the fact that he lost Georgia. What that could infer is in 2012 he would win Georgia and that would be a monumental shift for the State of Georgia.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:11 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,020,143 times
What about Chicago, being the most segregated city in America. Is south CHicago bad for white people? Is North Chicago bad for minorities?

Old 03-07-2010, 12:30 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Kasey Anusitz View Post
GREAT that you underscored that integration and migration is taking place. Obama lost GA by less than 4%. That infers that quite a number of ethnically white people were voting heavily to realize his Presidency regardless of the fact that he lost Georgia. What that could infer is in 2012 he would win Georgia and that would be a monumental shift for the State of Georgia.
Actually, he lost by more than 5% (52.23% McCain to 47.02% Obama), but forgetting about trivia for a second, I think you are sadly misreading that election both at the macro and micro levels.

If you review the election results for 2000, 2004, and even 2008, no Democrat has come close in GA, with Obama still losing in GA by 5% in a year when Democrats swept, and nearby red states like North Carolina and Virgina went for Obama. The economy, the war, and many people's personal dislike for George W. Bush helped to push the Democrats in many states over the 50% mark.

When you look at the state legislature and local Congressional and Senate races here in 2008, there is absolutely no indication that GA is undergoing some kind of shift in the political landscape. What you had was a surge of first-time and probably one-time Obama voters who couldn't even be bothered to show up at the runoff to try and somehow push Martin over the top for Senate.

Georgia has a concentration of minority and white liberal voters in some urban areas like Atlanta, but the majority of Georgia is centrist or right of center. Obama will not carry Georgia...of course you also assume he will be the Democrat nominee. I wouldn't rule out a primary challenge. The victory for Scott Brown in my former home state of Massachusetts should be a wake up call, but I think the phone has gone unanswered.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:52 PM

199 posts, read 627,764 times
does anyone know of anyone that has received the check that obama promised them for voting for him yet??

Old 03-07-2010, 07:56 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,690 times
Was that check supposed to come with the iraq pullout and transparency in government DVD package?

I think mine is missing in the mail somewhere...

Or was it part of the patriot act revocation leaflet?

Old 03-07-2010, 08:26 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Forsyth gained recognition a number of years ago because a very radical activist named Hosea Williams played the "cry wolf" thing and organized a march in that area where several hundred black people did a 1960s style march against racism. Some KKK members showed up (what.. 8 people) to counter it and it was viewed by some members of the media that the county must be filled with KKK and skinheads.

I've known several people who live or have lived in Forsyth, including a mixed couple (black husband/white wife) and no one has had any problems whatsoever. The biggest problem they have is strain on the public utility system due to rapid growth in the area.

You cannot give much weight to the rantings and ravings of people like Hosea Williams (now deceased) and Jesse Jackson. People like this don't even have real jobs other than to "protest" and look under rocks until they find something they can make look like racism. Racism does exist, but you can find it just as likely 50 miles outside of New York City as you can 50 miles outside of Atlanta, and for that matter, a white person walking through Harlem is just as likely to be a victim of it as a black person walking through Beverly Hills at 3am. Forsyth is no better or worse than any other place.
Oh yes, he was just crying wolf, Greg.

"Originally, the march was going to be led by Forsyth resident Charles A. Blackburn. Blackburn wanted to dispel the racist image of Forsyth County, where he owned and operated a private school (The Blackburn Learning Center). Blackburn cancelled his plans after he received threatening phone calls. Other whites in nearby counties, as well as State Representative J.E. McKinney of Atlanta and Hosea Williams, who was on the Atlanta City Council, took up the march plans instead."

"The counter-demonstration was called by The Nationalist Movement, newly organized in Cumming, by Mark Watts, a local plumber. The original march had been triggered by an often repeated statement that Forsyth was "a county that warned black visitors not to 'let the sun go down on your head.' "

Now admittedly, Jesse Jackson is indeed a rock tipper, as you say. However, the protest in 87 wasn't just some uppity Negros making trouble just to cry wolf. There WAS a problem in the 80s (notice I capitalized WAS). It's still very white, but most of the new comers to the county are affluent transplants looking for a big McMansion to raise their children, not KKK members looking for a "cleansed" county (this term was used by many residents in the 80s, as well, because "there had been no black people in the county since 1917" according to residents of that era). Go Google some of the stories for the county and you will see it wasn't merely a crying wolf strategy like many marches are today.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:36 AM

6 posts, read 22,470 times
I live in Forsyth County and I would say that if you are cool we are cool. Why are you considering Forsyth County if you are worried about it?

In truth there is not a big African-American group in Forsyth. However, with very rapid population growth things here are more liberal.

Living in Forsyth,

b

Old 03-09-2010, 06:35 PM

30 posts, read 95,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashad View Post
I live in Forsyth County and I would say that if you are cool we are cool. Why are you considering Forsyth County if you are worried about it?

In truth there is not a big African-American group in Forsyth. However, with very rapid population growth things here are more liberal.

Living in Forsyth,

b
There in lies the issue. Now a days it's more about politics and social status. By things getting "more liberal" because of people moving to the county is what people that live there don't want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta