Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 09:21 PM

90 posts, read 258,283 times

Advertisements

Any speech language pathologists on this board or know of anyone who is one, working in the schools? I may be relocating and have some questions.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 05:26 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,666,305 times
You are among the few I would say could get a job within the schools.

What are your questions?

Old 07-21-2009, 12:19 PM

Thanks for responding! It does seem like the employment opportunities right now for speech language pathologists are good. I am Canadian and have some issues getting sponsorship for a work visa but besides that.....
I have questions regarding the different districts around Atlanta. Is there one district that tends to have better working conditions (smaller caseloads, ect...). I have looked into the salary scales of various districts and got a little confused but it seems like Fulton pays the best and has some very nice schools (I have 2 boys ages 10 and 7 myself). I may have to go through an agency since they will pay for the visa and was wondering if anyone had experience with agencies (pros/cons) ect...

Old 07-22-2009, 05:49 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,666,305 times
I think you will need to go through an agency. The school systems are beyond unlikely to pay fees. School STs in America have unbeliveably large case loads and it is considered to be fairly isolating work. (You are likely to be the only ST at the school, so no one to bounce ideas off of). If you have a small case load at one school you will serve more than one school.

Finally, each district has good and bad schools. As a ST you aren't guaranteed a position at a certain school, but rather are assigned.

Also, you need to read up on this lovely tool that most American school districts are using (in my opinion) to avoid serving special neds students -- response to intervention

I would try and figure out which staffing agencies the systems are using and contact them.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:03 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,893,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorslp View Post
... I am Canadian and have some issues getting sponsorship for a work visa but besides that.....
If you're Canadian you don't need a visa but you need the status.

(I'm being a little pedantic. Most people don't know the difference).

You need to find out if speech-language pathologists are eligible for TN-1 status. If they are then you can skip the agency, find a job yourself, then apply at the border for TN-1. It's very straightforward and cheap.

If you're restricted to H1B then you'll likely be stuck with the agency route, which would tie you to the agency as your employer and they'd presumably be taking a cut of what the school system paid you. Not so appealing.

Best of luck with your endeavours. I'm a Canadian who was job-transferred to Atlanta on a working status. I have a green card now.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:28 AM

Thanks so much you guys. Just a little more info on me and the research I've done - I need an H1B because STs are not eligible for a TN visa (my husband has worked in Detroit for the past 10 years on a TN....it's so unfair that it is so easy for him!). I have all the documents in place and ready to go for this, except I'm waiting for the American Speech and Hearing Association to send me my certification (CCC) (I've spent about 1500$ so far to get the require docs and certifications - long story there). I was educated in the US but have worked in Canada for the past 18 years (15 in the schools). Up here I run/supervise a territory that includes 13 schools, 2 speech aides and a new speech intern. That's 200 kids (no not all of them can get weekly therapy obviously). I am mostly alone anyway, except for my community contacts with other STs and the special ed team. So caseloads of like, 50 kids? Bring it on!

I contacted Fulton county and they said that agencies will be bidding to fill the remaining positions but they did not know which agencies yet. They are supposed to get back to me regarding sponsoring H1Bs - I am assuming I would have to pay (i have info on what I can and can't pay for). That's gonna run me about 4000$. I do not have a problem paying but the H1B is only good for 6 years max. After that I get the boot out of the country for a year. Unless they sponsor me for a green card (my dream!). I've heard that I am not allowed to pay for the GC fees so if the district can't/won't, then I would definitely have to go with an agency. But yes, they take a good cut and once I am tied to them, well, they kind of own me for a while...if they lose their contract, I get shipped off somewhere else.
Last minute: yes I am brushing up on my RTI info - I know about it but we don't yet use it in Canada. But it'll come here soon....
Rainy: lucky you with a green card! Do you mind me asking what industry you are in?

Old 07-22-2009, 04:31 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,893,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorslp View Post
Rainy: lucky you with a green card! Do you mind me asking what industry you are in?
I'm in software but got green card through spouse's employment (even though it was my job that brought us to the US). It's a complicated story. Anyway, as you evidently know, US immigration is very tough.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:22 PM

Yeah, it's a tough one. I guess if I couldn't get a green card i'd just go back home after 6 years. My hubby is a systems analyst and always uses a TN so no hope for a green card from him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: