Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:53 AM

750 posts, read 2,276,167 times

Advertisements

I fourth the Dekalb farmers market. They also have a great selection of wines from all over the globe. Also Harry's is a good market as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 10:21 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Anyone else bothered by the fact that the Dekalb "Farmer's Market" is not really a "farmer's market" but just an "international supermarket"?

I had a friend come to town and we were talking about it. Farmer's Markets are usually outdoor with booths of vendors selling their own goods. Buford and Dekalb are large supermarkets which import all of these things and sell them under one roof. A very different concept.

It's not that serious is it? At the end of the day, the most important thing is they offer organic vegetables and fresh meat at great prices. I eat lunch at the restaurant from time to time too. Arguing over the semantics of YDFM being a "farmers market" or an "international market" is irrelevant.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:53 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,351 times
Another vote for Your DeKalb Farmer's Market!

edited to add: if you go, bring a jacket! LOL It's chilly in there!

Old 05-04-2009, 03:23 PM

24 posts, read 96,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveDiva View Post
Another vote for Your DeKalb Farmer's Market!

edited to add: if you go, bring a jacket! LOL It's chilly in there!

Another one to agree here! I love that place. They don't take credit cards though. The Buford Farmers Market does though. I definitely like the DeKalb FM better because of their layout.

They also have Sweet Auburn, but it's o.k. It's off of Edgewood and they seem to close early too.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:33 PM

550 posts, read 1,637,298 times
Default Atlanta's Local Food Initiative

The Dekalb Farmers market rocks... there is nothing like it up here in my neck of the woods and Ive missed the DFM ever since leaving ATL in 1991 and I cant wait to live close to the DFM again once we return to ATL next year.

That being said... DFM is not really a true farmers market. "Farmers Market" just happens to be in their name... if their name was "DeKalb International Supermarket" would it even get mentioned in this thread? I doubt it.

True farmers markets have many booths of LOCAL FARMERS bringing their locally grown and harvested food to "market."

Not just produce, but also locally produced meat, eggs and dairy.

Perhaps this link will help the OP find what they are seeking: ALFI - Atlanta Local Food Initiative

+++

Side note: I suspect the DFM does not accept credit cards because it can get expensive for retailers to accept credit cards, the cc companies charge the retailer for each transaction. For example, for a $100 transaction, cc companies may take $2, leaving the retailer with only $98 on that transaction.
And, compared to other sectors of the retail market, in the grocery business, there is not nearly as much of a markup in wholesale to retail prices - this is why many smaller and independant grocery stores do not accept credit cards. Larger grocery chains negotiate with the CC companies deals where the grocery stores are charged significantly less in fees than what cc companies normally charge retailers.

Last edited by StPaulEastSider; 05-04-2009 at 04:51 PM..

Old 05-04-2009, 06:23 PM

74 posts, read 307,958 times
I thank everyone for all of there help..I will check out Dekalb Market, where can I get some muslim oils from?

Old 05-04-2009, 06:42 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,737,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Anyone else bothered by the fact that the Dekalb "Farmer's Market" is not really a "farmer's market" but just an "international supermarket"?

I had a friend come to town and we were talking about it. Farmer's Markets are usually outdoor with booths of vendors selling their own goods. Buford and Dekalb are large supermarkets which import all of these things and sell them under one roof. A very different concept.
I am! Yeah, foods great and all but it's not a true farmer's market experience and that's what I'm missing. I want the kind like they have in Santa Monica with live music and produce where you pay each vendor. Shopping cart loses a bit of the authenticity...bring back farmer's market culture!

Old 05-05-2009, 06:29 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,083,219 times
The Green Market will be starting back up soon at Piedmont Park.

Green Market for Piedmont Park

And the Peachtree Farmer's Market is up and running again too.

Peachtree Road Farmers Market

Old 05-05-2009, 07:01 AM

23,458 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoduluth View Post
I thank everyone for all of there help..I will check out Dekalb Market, where can I get some muslim oils from?
There is a store in Lilburn (not far from Duluth) called One Islamic Store Odds and Ends. it's located at 895 Indian Trail.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:24 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,083,219 times
Oops, not to leave out these two too:

Decatur Organic Farmers Market

Studioplex Lofts (http://www.studioplexlofts.com/news/news.php?articleID=4 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta